Surfer dies at Laniakea

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Kneeboarder Rodney Oshima, 69, dies after being pulled out of Laniakea.

I was getting ready to go in the water and noticed a group of surfers near Himalayas. Didn't think anything until the fire department showed up. Talked to some surfers in the Laniakea lineup and they confirmed that he was down for a long time. Pronounced dead at the hospital.

Rodney Oshima at Laniakea last year (5/9/20). RIP.

200509_19.jpg

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Natural causes? I’ve seen it with someone very close to us. Worse ways to go. Mahalo to the responders, that’s tough work. We don’t have anything like that here.

You guys are number 1 in this category, and you’d know it as much as anyone in the places you put yourself.

Reactions: john4surf and Maz

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Natural causes? I’ve seen it with someone very close to us. Worse ways to go. Mahalo to the responders, that’s tough work. We don’t have anything like that here.

You guys are number 1 in this category, and you’d know it as much as anyone in the places you put yourself.
Coroners office has not provided cause of death. Will let you guys know.

Two firefighters went out on longboards. I've found that current in that area can be funky and it can take a long time to work your way back in.

Being #1 in this category is not a coveted position. Thanks ElOgro as always for the comments and support.

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente
Kneeboarder Rodney Oshima, 69, dies after being pulled out of Laniakea.

I was getting ready to go in the water and noticed a group of surfers near Himalayas. Didn't think anything until the fire department showed up. Talked to some surfers in the Laniakea lineup and they confirmed that he was down for a long time. Pronounced dead at the hospital.

Rodney Oshima at Laniakea last year (5/9/20). RIP.

View attachment 106181
He looks stocked in that photo!

RIP Rodney.

Bud

Nep status
Apr 20, 2001
Oahu
www.808surfer.com
Didn't know him outside of the line up but can say for sure Rod is a good guy, even though he denied me many times taking off deeper behind the peak at solid Lanis, damn kneeboarders! early morning crew always low key and good with the sarcastic banter. He and his good friend fellow kneeboarder haole guy can't remember his name, have been Vland regulars for decades. Aloha Rod

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
Didn't know him outside of the line up but can say for sure Rod is a good guy, even though he denied me many times taking off deeper behind the peak at solid Lanis, damn kneeboarders! early morning crew always low key and good with the sarcastic banter. He and his good friend fellow kneeboarder haole guy can't remember his name, have been Vland regulars for decades. Aloha Rod
That's Dave, yeah he is always V-land morning crew, very good guy

Reactions: sponge

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Btw, Fabian and I were talking about you that morning. I know you busy but gotta not just workout and get back in the water. Here's Fabe going back to his boogie boarding roots that morning.

210307_18.jpg

Reactions: rowjimmytour

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
my worst hold-down ever was at Lanis.
mine eyes bugged open then darkness creeped in from the edges...

also I had to be a lifeguard there once when I was just minding my own biz.
a Japanese surfer w/bloken arm. Yes that is some current.

Reactions: sponge

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
RIP Rod. He looks stocked in that photo Neal.

Had to play lifeguard in that channel a couple times, before they got a tower. One was a girl who had her ponytail stuck in her springsuit zipper and couldn't paddle well, getting sucked out to Himalayas. Had to paddle her in. Another time a Japanese grom broke his board and was trying to paddle in with a tiny piece of his tail. Don't know who was surfing with him but they were nowhere around. Had to paddle him in too. He hopped on my back and was massaging my traps as I paddled LOL. He didn't speak English.

Last edited:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
RIP Rod. He looks stocked in that photo Neal.

Had to play lifeguard in that channel a couple times, before they got a tower. One was a girl who had her ponytail stuck in her springsuit zipper and couldn't paddle well, getting sucked out to Himalayas. Had to paddle her in. Another time a Japanese grom broke his board and was trying to paddle in with a tiny piece of his tail. Don't know who was surfing with him but they were nowhere around. Had to paddle him in too. He hopped on my back and was massaging my traps as I paddled LOL. He didn't speak English.
Only in surfing bro, what a tale.

And RIP Rodney

Reactions: flyinraptr