Surfboards and gasoline fumes...

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Will exposing a board to gasoline fumes do damage over time?

Assume low level of fumes over a long period of time...,

thanks.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Will exposing a board to gasoline fumes do damage over time?

Assume low level of fumes over a long period of time...,

thanks.
Hawaiian scale Duff? I assume you mean storing boards in shed with gasoline container or garage and you start your car inside etc.i am more worried about heat issues in the shed I store my boards but I do not store any flamable liquids with boards but do have epoxy resin (2 pints). I installed two attic/roof fans one solar reversed fan to blow air in and one 12" whirly bird pulls air out.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Hawaiian scale Duff? I assume you mean storing boards in shed with gasoline container or garage and you start your car inside etc.i am more worried about heat issues in the shed I store my boards but I do not store any flamable liquids with boards but do have epoxy resin (2 pints). I installed two attic/roof fans one solar reversed fan to blow air in and one 12" whirly bird pulls air out.
Not shed. Work vehicle.

Currently have a Chevy truck extended cab so birds up to 7’2 ride shotgun, stinky stuff outside.

Thinking of getting a MBZ Metris so boards would go in the cargo area (or on roof which I’d rather not do. The cargo area will have a residual low level of fumes pretty much all the time. Was wondering what effect if any it would have on boards.

P/U.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Pretty sure epoxy would be better but polyester resin should be ok.

this is based on historical manufacturing of fuel cells. in the 5min Google-fu it seems they were once fiberglass with Polyester resin before modern ones were made using epoxy resin.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
probably not...what?

probably not a problem?

also, there will be equipment, absorbent pads and sometimes clothes that have been soaked in gas.
Uh yes, probably not a problem.

we store life lines and rigging lines for working aloft in tight quarter tool boxes with gasoline, equipment and similar situations and there’s no effect on our nylon/polyester rope. Manufacturer even says no effect on strength even with direct contact, and fumes nada. Although if there’s direct contact with a life line I either wash or replace.

apparently there has been issues with fiberglass tanks and gasoline high in ethanol in the past but I don’t know the extent and that’s direct contact for storage purposes so I don’t even think it’s comparable.

I’ve kept boards in my truck with cap next to jerry cans to no ill effect that I have noticed.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Uh yes, probably not a problem.

we store life lines and rigging lines for working aloft in tight quarter tool boxes with gasoline, equipment and similar situations and there’s no effect on our nylon/polyester rope. Manufacturer even says no effect on strength even with direct contact, and fumes nada. Although if there’s direct contact with a life line I either wash or replace.

apparently there has been issues with fiberglass tanks and gasoline high in ethanol in the past but I don’t know the extent and that’s direct contact for storage purposes so I don’t even think it’s comparable.

I’ve kept boards in my truck with cap next to jerry cans to no ill effect that I have noticed.
the ethanol thing has been fixed (at least here in California).

Bio-diesel was a huge cluster fuckk and all of it was pulled out of USTs a few years (in CA) and only recently has it been making a comeback. B-20 or less (20% bio, 80% normal dsl).

The B99 from a few years back was dissolving fiberglass, rubber, brass, and microbes grew in it. The microbes eat steel. Literally eat it.

The microbes are still an issue now with our low sulfur diesel. If there’s any water in the tank they can live and eat.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Tempted to start a Cocaine and gasoline fumes thread. :p