Surf Shop Economics/Management

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Just curious, my biggest/best local shop is rather archaic, in the sense that the tools they use to sell product is like being back in the 90's, and it is a reputable shop.

The website lists the brands of wetsuits they sell, but not the suits themselves; you walk in and there are ~1000 different suits.
Similar to boards, a few are listed on the site but no where near what you find when you walk in.

Go online to search for something and Cleanline, Jack's, etc. all pop up with full inventory.

Really surprises me that my shop is so laissez faire here in the year 2021.
-IMO go to the local community college/college and get a student to modernize for some sort college credit/resume builder.

I don't know every time I go in I leave scratching my head.

Anyone have knowledge with shop management and economics behind it? Any profit on the sale of a board, wetsuit?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
It costs money to maintain a webpage that a lot of people might not even bother checking out.

Remember this is surfing and it all comes down to marketing for probably 90% of customers so a lot of people are just looking at Instagram now.

It seems that companies or shops with a certain type of customer or service will offer a good website.

Not much profit on board sales.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Do you know how much it costs to be on the first page of a search engine like google?

Second page is a black hole. Might as well not even exist.
No, I don’t know
What’s a ballpark number for how much it would cost to be on the front page of a google search for wetsuits?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Just curious, my biggest/best local shop is rather archaic, in the sense that the tools they use to sell product is like being back in the 90's, and it is a reputable shop.

The website lists the brands of wetsuits they sell, but not the suits themselves; you walk in and there are ~1000 different suits.
Similar to boards, a few are listed on the site but no where near what you find when you walk in.

Go online to search for something and Cleanline, Jack's, etc. all pop up with full inventory.

-IMO go to the local community college/college and get a student to modernize for some sort college credit/resume builder.

Anyone have knowledge with shop management and economics behind it? Any profit on the sale of a board, wetsuit?
Wasn't Jacks the shop that had a mail order catalog in the mid 80s where you could buy everything from boards, to wetsuits and tee-shirts. I bet if I dug thru the stuff in my parent's attic I could find the catalog I'm speaking of. Pretty sure it was them.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018

Not only surf shops have a problem, needed a part that was on both bigbox hardware stores as in stock on the website, went to pick it up. Nobody there heard of the part.

Reactions: Woke AF

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I haven’t found that to be the case , but I don’t know their level of education

But I’ve been to the local surf shops but not their websites
Plus prcd has me questioning the value of formal education anyway