surf rage in South Africa

Bohdi #2

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 14, 2002
richmond ,va, usa
Visit site
sounds like this pric k needs a beatdown.<P>'Surf rage' incident alarms Cape beachgoers<P>November 22 2002 at 11:13AM<BR> <BR> <P>Surfers are shocked at an apparent incident of "surf rage" on Thursday at the popular Long Beach, in Kommetjie in the Western Cape.<P>French paddleskier Oliver Feuillette of Claremont was attacked on the beach by a knobkerrie-wielding surfer in front of appalled beachgoers.<P>Feuillette, 32, was taken by ambulance to Constantiaberg Medi-Clinic, where he had 10 stitches in his head. <P>He was discharged on Thursday night with warnings to his wife Janis to watch out for signs of concussion.<P>'This guy was lank aggro, walking up and down, swearing, picking up stones and throwing them' <BR>Two surfers said they believed Feuillette had committed a minor breach of surf etiquette which apparently led to the attack, but Feuillette denied this.<P>Several surfers described the attacker as "a known loon" and "quite mental".<P>Things started going wrong off Long Beach when something Feuillette did angered the surfer.<P>"He was trying to catch me, he was swearing loudly and causing quite a scene. He couldn't catch me and I found it quite funny, to be honest," Feuillette said.<P>The surfer then went ashore, and another surfer who spoke to the Cape Argus, but asked not to be named for his own safety, approached Feuillette in the water.<P>'He hit me on the back of the head. I didn't see it coming' <BR>The surfer, who lives in Kalk Bay, said: "I warned him to be careful when he went in, because this guy is known to be volatile. <P>"I had a run-in with him myself once some years ago on the West Coast."<P>Sixteen-year-old surfer Tyrone Cooper of Kommetjie was standing near the changing-rooms with some friends when the attacker came ashore. <P>"This guy was lank aggro, walking up and down, swearing, picking up stones and throwing them at the changing-room walls. He also pulled a fence post out of a fence nearby."<P>Tyrone said the surfer was carrying a "whip" and a plastic knobkerrie.<P>"He was standing on the rocks and every time Oliver caught a wave he shouted at him and said, 'Come in, you wussie.' "<P>After about an hour-and-a-half Feuillette went in. "Yes, I'd been warned about this guy, but what could I do? I could hardly call the police from the water, and I had to go in some time."<P>As soon as he came out of the water, the surfer approached him.<P>Feuillette said: "He was carrying something like a whip. He came up and started chatting, and then hit me on the back of the head. I didn't see it coming. I fell down and he hit me on the back.<P>"I realised I had to do something because he wasn't going to stop. I managed to tackle him, and then his friend came up. I shouted for help and these kids, they were in their teens, they came towards me, but they were pretty scared I think. Then others came and he and his friend disappeared."<P>Tyrone said: "I saw the paddleskier come out of the water and then (the surfer) went up to him and was talking to him. We thought everything was fine, and then (the surfer) smacked the paddleskier on the head with a kerrie, and hit him hard on the back. He fell, and then (the surfer) started beating him with a pole.<P>"The paddleskier got (the surfer) into a lock and was shouting, 'Help me!', so I tried to get the pole, but the surfer's friend was behind me and he threw me against a fence. I started panicking, I thought he'd kill the ou. <P>"The paddleskier was bleeding from cuts and had a big bump on his back. There was blood on the rocks."<P>Feuillette said he would probably press charges. <P> <BR> <P> <P><BR> <BR>T<P> <P> <BR> <P> <BR> <P><BR> <BR> <BR> <BR><p>[This message has been edited by Bohdi #2 (edited 12-17-2002).]