Surf Journalism Deceased?

OBSurvivor

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 25, 2013
Surfing looks lame compared to skating. Every aspect, skating does it better than us.

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
The Beach Grit goon is a metrosexual fag who seems to get his chicks panties in a wad with his daily use to affirm he actually has manhood.

The Stab dood is a pillow bitter who still wears teenage mutant nijna pajamas to bed.

These people are the problem with surfing...they are the ones who perpetuate the Costco Wave Storm .

They came across as “Disrupters!.! .” Many bought in...as we all know...they are a bunch of kooks.

There’s a reason why the tired and true remain...Surfer Mag and the other Australian Pillars. They have never tried to tell us what is cool or how to think...they already know we will always be 10 steps ahead of them.

Jonahbrah

Nep status
Sep 20, 2019
BMore
The Beach Grit goon is a metrosexual fag who seems to get his chicks panties in a wad with his daily use to affirm he actually has manhood.

The Stab dood is a pillow bitter who still wears teenage mutant nijna pajamas to bed.

These people are the problem with surfing...they are the ones who perpetuate the Costco Wave Storm .

They came across as “Disrupters!.! .” Many bought in...as we all know...they are a bunch of kooks.

There’s a reason why the tired and true remain...Surfer Mag and the other Australian Pillars. They have never tried to tell us what is cool or how to think...they already know we will always be 10 steps ahead of them.

Why does everyone hate Ashton so much. Stab's films and Redbull content in the first time somebody has done

Chas protects himself from being made fun of by never writing serious articles. His approach is kind of brilliant. By mocking the authoritative pretentiousness of surf journos past and present, and highlighting their cozy little industry boundaries, he has made himself an authority.

Yeah Ashton is a bit of a kook, but he has raised the bar in quality surf coverage through film. Before the Redbull/Stab stuff, the best surfing coverage was those cheesy action sports show template with little 10 minute bits and some obnoxious non-surfer host.

And to say mags like Surfer, Surfing, and Tracks didn't try to dictate what is cool is 100% dishonest. They had a stranglehold on surfers perceptions around the globe. They were gatekeepers of influence. That's not say a large portion of what they wrote wasn't spot on. But the fact that they systematically ignored drug addiction in surfing is just one of the proofs that their agenda was focused more on keeping the money flowing than approaching the dark realities of innately rebellious culture.

Reactions: JSC

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Yeah Ashton is a bit of a kook, but he has raised the bar in quality surf coverage through film.
Uh...In what way has he done that?

Before the Redbull/Stab stuff, the best surfing coverage was those cheesy action sports show template with little 10 minute bits and some obnoxious non-surfer host.
Have you seen the new Redbull stuff with him as the host?

He's incredibly cringey to watch/hear narrate. He's trying so hard.

Reactions: Goodfish

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I like Tracks and ASL to the extent I see their mags on trips. I think there is a UK one, Carve, I saw one of those and liked it. I read a Surfer's Path once and liked that.

I LOVE how reviled Chris Cote is and that he can really surf. I mean sure his style is jangly at times or whatever and some of his stuff was bit over the top and he's an instant mute when announcing a contest, but having some mindless stupid sh!t like Bro-isms was fun, even if Transworld needed a copy editor DESPERATELY. Plus their travel sh!t had some moments, like when they started referring to Arugam Bay as Donkey Point. I felt like I was the only person on planet Earth who thought it was okay to think a place was overrated and the trip there sucked until I read that.

Sam George definitely tried to convince me that he, Laird, and several other weapons-grade douchebags were cool on the pages of Surfer.

I want to say Parmenter used to write articles for Surfer and I deserve to be ilked for eating his sh!t up?

Chas had a different and enjoyable article in Transworld about a trip to Syria/Lebanon; that was cool. Prancing about claiming designers and Chateau Marmont...I mean I love visiting LA but the constant obsession with stupid sh!t...

Ashton, I respect his remarks about wanting health insurance and full time employment for his staff. Getting triggered by a caricature like Chas to the point of the wife remarks, less so.
I get what Chas is saying, that surf mags aren't a viable full time job, but cereal, not every single surf mag employee is going to be able to get book/screenplay deals.

I mean if we had a quarter pair o' balls and the industriousness of a sedated sloth, we would produce our own 'zine that talked about drugs and sexism and rape and colonialism and localism in surfing and pass it out at all the San Clemente stay at yoga mom hangouts and get rid of the London ilk.

Then we could have a hifi SUP-themed one that was unironically ironic. It could be the new millenium's Ripping the Pit - We've Got It All. We'll call it Splasher.

You people think Ashton Goggans can make surfing uncool? Hold Sharkbiscuit's beer.

Reactions: Aruka

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
That's one aspect of his writing that I miss.

It was trollish and hilarious.

"I am wearing a pair of black Gucci loafers as I make my way to the competitor's area..."
8/10 would take bait and make drag sing.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

There was one where it sounded like he deliberately trolled Dusty Paine's dad just to be a fashionista superficial **** and I was like, fckn smack him pops. Smack him in his sh!t.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
"I am wearing what most Angelenos would assume are generic knock offs of New Balance celibatech trainers, unfuckable shin socks and khaki bermuda shorts, and an obnoxiously orange and blue Florida t-shirt, scurrying to feed the Potty meter before you actually need to pay. Transplants from Maryland and Ohio hasten to be helpful and tell the touron not to waste his money. The actual locals appear to be choking back their own vomit..."

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
"I am wearing what most Angelenos would assume are generic knock offs of New Balance celibatech trainers, unfuckable shin socks and khaki bermuda shorts, and an obnoxiously orange and blue Florida t-shirt, scurrying to feed the Potty meter before you actually need to pay. Transplants from Maryland and Ohio hasten to be helpful and tell the touron not to waste his money. The actual locals appear to be choking back their own vomit..."

YES!

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
Not much to say that you guys didnt already cover. I just wanted to state how terrible Ashton Goggins is. He needs to just go away. I dont even care if he stays in his current position at STAB. I dont ever want to hear his little bitch voice or see his peggable anus for a face.
I have nothing against retards, but he's like the down syndrome kid that everyone decided to be nice to right before graduation.

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
See this vid below that QuadFin posted elsewhere here on Thee erBB?:
Wow, so close!
Chas,
1 of the owners/writers at Beach Grit.
woulda called alll those pep's, in thee water,
out there, enjoyin' their free time, before life takes over,
VALS...

What thee F**K?

Them ain't Val's!
Now me, an og L.A. kinda dude,
has met me a buncha real Val's, like these boyz,
some still here, some gone, never to ride a wave again,
like Willy Morris:

+
Jaime Brisick:

+
Ricky Schaffer:

Can't forget Glen Kennedy either:

nor Craig Diltz, Mike Chipko, Toby+Mike,
Dave White, Even Caples, thee list is long+proud, real Val'z, who earned their place, not from some stupid moniker that an Oregonian transplanted kook, likez to call adults world~wide this, who, l8er in their life, wanna join us whom learnt to surf at an earlier + younger age, maybe learn of thee stoke of just paddlin' out, maybe ride a wave or 2, get up for a few seconds, feel thee thrill, that only a surfer knowz thee feelin' 'bout. Maybe even as a whale swims by, escapin' thee Orca's offshore. F**kin Beach~Grit, it went down-hill when they would not pay Rory, so he split...

My opin's only,
you OC boyz who probably kiss Chas's ass when ya see him 'round town,
prob's have a different 'pinion, well, since he owns a web~site, hahaha...
:drowning:

Last edited:

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
Why does everyone hate Ashton so much.
I get that this is the type of surf journalism you like...but if I was part of the Vans crew, I would be calling a damage control meeting pronto.

I’d even invite Chas to the meeting just so we could hear him bemoan how difficult his morning was trying to figure out what ankle bracelet to wear that morning and how obscene the bartender was last night by serving a bruised lime wedge in his vodka.

They just wasted some serious Pyzel time...I woulda been pissed.

Jonahbrah

Nep status
Sep 20, 2019
BMore
Uh...In what way has he done that?

Have you seen the new Redbull stuff with him as the host?

He's incredibly cringey to watch/hear narrate. He's trying so hard.

The only consistent video surf content has been lame vlogs and segmented action sports show formats.

You wanna talk cringy? What about tryhard JOB weekly pretending to be a nice guy (he's always been an absolute d@ck/bully) to hustle a few foamies? Much more cringeworthy in my opinion.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The only consistent video surf content has been lame vlogs and segmented action sports show formats.

You wanna talk cringy? What about tryhard JOB weekly pretending to be a nice guy (he's always been an absolute d@ck/bully) to hustle a few foamies? Much more cringeworthy in my opinion.
I've never watched JOB.