Surf Foil Update

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Had my 6th session on the hydrofoil yesterday, and was my best due to the length of ride. All my other sessions were at a shorter wave and were fun, but yesterday's session was on a much longer wave , something like this..

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8ksz32n768[/video]

The surf was about half that size, but the speed was just about the same. I'm abit of a speed junky when it comes to riding waves, and the foil is the best fix I've found.

I've been using the (blue) Maliko foil from GoFoil which is the larger wing than the (red) Kai which makes for easier flight in small waves. The foil turned a crappy surf Sunday into a couple waves burned into the memory banks.

That's all... :socrazy:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
How do you feel about surfing around surfers?

I want to do this where surfers aren't.

How much for a beginner rig?

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Autoprax said:

I've not been around many surfers, the times I'd foiled the waves weren't really surfable on a regular surfboard. I did take of on a guy on a SUP yesterday, but he was back at the whitewater and once I got to my feet I left him behind. Like in the video, you can run waay out to the shoulder and still have plenty speed.

The money (right now) is in the foil. The GoFoil retails for around $1600. There are other brands for less, but they don't look like they're made with the same foiling characteristics. The GoFoil has a jump on the comp with it's design. It looks like the other (Naish, Lift, Slingshot) brands don't have the same lift as the GoFoil. You can add the mounting system to any regular board now that there's an adapter for the mast that you can use the plate instead of the Tuttle box.

mrstaggerlee

Phil Edwards status
Jan 6, 2009
That speed looks unreal in that vid and the perfect example of why it will not work around surfers ever. There is just no way to guess what the foiler will do so you have to guess for them but the time to react is way different and then maybe the surfer is gassed from trying to ride a 5' nubsprockenzeedoitchenchillatofish and it will ugly.

Still cool for you K1. Another thing to do in paradise!

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Kaser1 said:
Autoprax said:

The money (right now) is in the foil. The GoFoil retails for around $1600. There are other brands for less, but they don't look like they're made with the same foiling characteristics. The GoFoil has a jump on the comp with it's design. It looks like the other (Naish, Lift, Slingshot) brands don't have the same lift as the GoFoil. You can add the mounting system to any regular board now that there's an adapter for the mast that you can use the plate instead of the Tuttle box.
you forgot F-One. They make some good ones

Sniper

OTF status
Jul 25, 2017
Kauai
North kiteboarding is coming out with a(supposedly)way cheaper and better foil. You can swap wings to change disciplines and the base model is only 850. Not sure how much for different wing sets but I am guessing you can get set up with two sets for a similar or
Lower price than the go foils. My brother builds the prototypes for the designer and they seem to think they have the best foils for a really competitive price. I guess we will see when they finally are released to the public. Sounds like around October so pretty soon. I'll post a review when I get one.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
OTdos said:
I wish that clip showed how the guy got into the wave. I have no idea about that very important aspect.
You have to throw common knowledge of paddling into waves out the window. The minimal drag and added lift when you get the board/foil moving is the kicker. The foil actually adds more from below the surface as you paddle for the wave. I can sit out on the shoulder and get into them, don't need to be on the peak or very steep to get in.

lagunaboy

Michael Peterson status
Apr 24, 2017
Watched a guy riding a paddle in foil board at absolute dog crap Cardiff Reef on Saturday. He paddled into the ankle high wave stood up then the board popped up on the foil. He was riding farther than other boards. He had to paddle back out foil up because it was shallow I guess. Kind of impressive. Would have been sh it surf on a log even

mrstaggerlee

Phil Edwards status
Jan 6, 2009
OTdos said:
Thanks. I'd like to see a clip of a foiler paddling into a wave. Do you stand up before the board gets "up" in foil trim?
The guy I watched was doing like K1 or taking off behind the peak in the white water. His timing was pretty good he would step up just as the thing was starting to rise up or just a second before and then he would space glide right the F over to wherever he wanted to go.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Took me awhile to find it. But, here you go. Dad and son learning to foil.

https://youtu.be/RkNA5SaH1c4

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Yeah seriously. Those things don't make sense to me at good waves like that clip. You can't surf the pocket and get so far out you might as well go surf open ocean swell like what they're made for. They definitely tap into a different part of the wave source that you don't need a breaking wave for.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
shiver_me_timbers said:
Right on K1.

Some friends in the Gorge have been putting in the time to figure out what works there. They're using GoFoil.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGKlOkaD04k[/video]
That looks fun. You are in the water and in the sun getting exersize.

It's not surfing.

But you are not taking waves from surfer.

I give it and seal of approval.

Phi1

Phil Edwards status
May 21, 2002
Hell Cajon, Ca
Yeah, I could imagine one of those on a way outside reef when it's really high tide and backing off. They look deadly in actual surf.

Motor assist would be fun.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22ttW9QV4q0[/video]

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I can't tell if I'm going full-OT or am just a luddite, but I think I'd prefer to paddle.

this reminds me of electric skateboards

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Phi1 said:
Yeah, I could imagine one of those on a way outside reef when it's really high tide and backing off. They look deadly in actual surf.

Saw one of those things a couple weeks ago in Paia

mrstaggerlee

Phil Edwards status
Jan 6, 2009
Phi1 said:

^^^ :cool: ^^^

OMG! I could wrap my noodle around that. SCHAWEET!