Surf Fish Gear???

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Like to start surf fishing at my local reefs and beach breaks but wondering what is a good set up: size, brand(s), cost, materials, etc for So and Central CA areas so your tackle does not end up on reef:monkey: Also used to flyfish streams but know wind can be s beach so not sure how well a fly set up would work with heavier weights against gaviota wind :shrug:

Last edited:

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Get yourself a 7-8' light/medium spinning rod and a light 6-12lb spinning reel spooled with 4-6lb mono.
As far as price, the sky is the limit.
If you are a beginner hit Big 5 for a inexpensive outfit, usually a combo.
If you get into it step up to better gear.
Best method (for me) is a simple Carolina rig - 1/4oz egg sinker behind a swivel and a 2-3 foot 4-6 lb flouro leader tied to a #6 or 8 barbed hook.
Bait: Sand Crabs, 2" Kalin grub in metalflake motor oil or as I call it "fish crack" - Gulp sand worms in red or camo.
FYI- usually there's too much crap in the water up around Goleta to Gav, if you want really good Barred Surf Perch fishing head up to Jalama, there's some real slugs up there, plus you can have a Jalama burger after (but you already knew that)

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Get yourself a 7-8' light/medium spinning rod and a light 6-12lb spinning reel spooled with 4-6lb mono.
Best method (for me) is a simple Carolina rig - 1/4oz egg sinker behind a swivel and a 2-3 foot 4-6 lb flouro leader tied to a #6 or 8 barbed hook.
Bait: Sand Crabs, 2" Kalin grub in metalflake motor oil or as I call it "fish crack" - Gulp sand worms in red or camo.
FYI- usually there's too much crap in the water up around Goleta to Gav, if you want really good Barred Surf Perch fishing head up to Jalama, there's some real slugs up there, plus you can have a Jalama burger after (but you already knew that)
^^ This

I've always used a medium trout spinning outfit.
I've got an old Fenwick rod and old Diawa spinning reel still going strong after 40+ years.
Shimano is a good brand that is easy to find in pretty much every tackle shop.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
What he said. 4 lb test on a walmart budget rig is all you need unless you want to start targeting Halibut etc.

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
Yep. I do this exact thing. Calico, white sea bass, and halibut in between waves.
I just use a light weight fresh water rig from Walmart. I wouldn't use high quality gear like Accurate or Avet. Too much submersion in the salt water with all of those moving parts.
Oh. And a Scampi lure.
Additionally, Marriott's Fly Fishing in Orange has a two day class on fly fishing from shore. Surf fishing with a fly.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
I go through streaks with the beach/rock fishing. Get stocked and motivated for a while until I eventually get skunked enough or life takes over and the motivation wanes. When I'm on it I mostly target halibut and calicos. 8 foot penn rod and reel combo like the one at this link: https://www.pennfishing.com/products/battle-iii-combo-1518048?variant=34036294549644

If I'm in a clean zone, I like the Lucky Craft Flashminnows 110. Like these: https://www.amazon.com/Lucky-Craft-Fishing-California-Metallic/dp/B00C1L3U7Q/ref=asc_df_B003CTNFPS/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241990509333&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10603475672052753881&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031028&hvtargid=pla-577938424254&th=1 .
Alternate color depending on what kind of bait is in the water, time of day, holy divination, etc.

If there's grass or kelp to deal with I'll go with Big Hammer swim baits and War Baits weedless Slayer heads. Good luck and post up some shots of your catch!

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Annual pass always and when wind picks up wanted some thing to do thinking of heading to Hook Line Ans Sinker have not been inside for years and get set up since I hope to use gear South of border when I retire :cheers:

Reactions: keenfish

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
For surf perch stuff I'd want light spinning gear.

The Penn Spinfisher is a good starting point. The Slammers have better water resistance but are heavier.
I don't dunk my Shimano Stradics but they get splashed.

I consider a pair of needle nose pliers essential.

There is a product called FishBites, like a dehydrated bait on a mesh backing. It hits water and gets gooey and releases scent. You can cut it into smaller pieces and tip a lure or use it with bait on a hook. I would try a small bucktail/nylon jig, or even a jig with some little dropper loops up the leader with bucktail/nylon dressed hooks, tipped with FishBites, and I'd cast into the nearshore trough/trench and any runouts, and I generally have better luck when my stuff is moving with the current, not against it. YMMV.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Annual pass always and when wind picks up wanted some thing to do thinking of heading to Hook Line Ans Sinker have not been inside for years and get set up since I hope to use gear South of border when I retire :cheers:
Hook Line & Sinker is into it's 4th (yes 4th) Father/Daughter ownership.
Capt. Bacon and his daughter Tiffany ran the place to $hit after Mr. Shin and his daughter sold it to them.
New owner cleaned it up and it's reel nice now (excuse the pun)

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Spinfishers are indestructible.

Funnily enough my el cheapo Penn Fierce- I think 50 bucks in the states has survived numerous full saltwater immersions and is functioning perfectly.
A lot depends on how heavily the reel is greased when it comes out of the factory.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Penn is the best deal to get started with as far as surf gear. SoCal surf I’d want light gear as it seems it’s mostly smaller fish.

don’t rule out a fly rod.
May still do this but not sure if I should go 6w or 7w two handed rod but I can see why a 12' rod would help barrel cast and quick 40 yd cast :cheers: