Surf Equipment: Quality Gear

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
+1 avoid drilling for 20 years even though I started late shows ears can heal.
But thread is quality and not quanity product so I think compared to customs or wearing a new pair of macks every session that surf ears is worth the $$$$. One easy fit they give you parts with 4 sizes to make your own custom plugs and two the leash is best I seen so far no problems with lost plug(s).
They didn't work for me. I tried the OG, V2 and 3.0. I must have strangely shaped ear canals as my custom IEM's look pretty weird. I wish they did work, Macks attenuate too much and I wish I could have conversations more easily out in the lineup.

Last edited:
Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
They didn't work for me. I tried the OG, V2 and 3.0. I must have strangely shaped ear canals as my custom IEM's look pretty weird. I wish the did work, Macks attenuate too much and I wish I could have conversations more easily out in the lineup.
I had that issue with docs but always attached leash to swivel hook and never lost them. After a year I would buy new ones. Never liked plugs that went deep into canal until I tried surf ears 3.0. I tried and matched the sizes up carefully even watching the video and so far only problem is some times pulling right plug out. Some reason suction pressure grows and have to pull hard to remove and wing breaks.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I use the same pair of mack's until they are mostly composed of earwax, dirt, sand, hair etc.

I don't have an issue with suction I guess because I wear a hood.

But yeah, they won't stay in for crap without a hood. I end up not wearing plugs when I travel. Going to have to figure out a solution for next trip. Almost all of my friends have had their ears drilled at least once. No thanks.

Reactions: Maz and ChaseTMP

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I surfed for a week straight during the height of red tide in SD county and ended up with an ear infection ... never used to wear ear plugs before that. Bit the $$$ bullet on Surf Ears and I'd say they're worth it, pretty comfy and you won't lose em if you use the little leash thingy

YakAk

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 22, 2010
I had that issue with docs but always attached leash to swivel hook and never lost them. After a year I would buy new ones. Never liked plugs that went deep into canal until I tried surf ears 3.0. I tried and matched the sizes up carefully even watching the video and so far only problem is some times pulling right plug out. Some reason suction pressure grows and have to pull hard to remove and wing breaks.
Try Speedo earplugs. The silicone grey/silver version. Inexpensive, comfortable, and work for me. I cut down the little nubs you use to put them in your ears. This prevents it from interfering with my hood. You can find them on amazon. I have tried many brands and types of earplugs over the years. I'm happy with these.

Reactions: PRCD
Sep 11, 2008
Has anyone tried out flexi-hexi? It seems promising to me. It would be nice to do that and a travel bag instead of sock and day bag.
I've used it travelling internationally (to and from South Africa, including internal domestic flights and loads of car travel).

Once done travelling the Flexi-Hex protection itself was trashed, but board within it was untouched. You could see that the Flexi-Hex had taken a few large knocks that would have trashed anything in just a normal travel bag with usual amounts of added protection.

Very impressed, so much so that I had the shaper of the last custom board I ordered from Australia use it when shipping halfway across the world to me here in Scotland. Brand new stick arrived shiny and pristine ;-)

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
Those old quicksilver boardies with the diamond dobby
I still keep some diamond dobbys in my rotation along with old volcom mod/annihilator boardshorts. Both still get the long 22 inch outseam and are comfy and breathe decent while cruising. WIsh they still made them long like that.

I don't get it as much on my thighs but i keep a tube in the truck of vaseline to prelube friction spots on my pits for long sessions. That helps with rash.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I gotta give a shout out to Odysea and the JOB Log model. Borrowed a JOB Log off of a friend on the spur of the moment to get wet one night last week. I was shocked at how good the damned thing worked. I'd want to hate on it but I can't. Gotta say I've ridden primo $1500 longboards that didn't ride as good as this thing. Its no wonder he can ride these boards the way he does. They work. I wonder how the Skipper quad works...........................

Reactions: oeste858

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
I use the same pair of mack's until they are mostly composed of earwax, dirt, sand, hair etc.

I don't have an issue with suction I guess because I wear a hood.

But yeah, they won't stay in for crap without a hood. I end up not wearing plugs when I travel. Going to have to figure out a solution for next trip. Almost all of my friends have had their ears drilled at least once. No thanks.
Geez, I've lost heaps of them, but never in the surf. They stay put. My current pair has probably more than 1000 surfs on the clock.

One Mack's warning: Big ants in Indo seem to love them - and my earwax. Left a pair in my boardies, and next morning the boardies were covered with huge, bitey ants, and the earplugs half-eaten.

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Finally tried FU wax, partly because of this thread. Two thumbs up. I had tried a couple of the imitators - like GU from bubble gum but this is way better. Those were always messy and would smear pretty easily. FU feels like super sticky quick humps and seems to stay put. Also stays tacky throughout a session.

ajmojave

OTF status
Aug 26, 2018
Finally tried FU wax, partly because of this thread. Two thumbs up. I had tried a couple of the imitators - like GU from bubble gum but this is way better. Those were always messy and would smear pretty easily. FU feels like super sticky quick humps and seems to stay put. Also stays tacky throughout a session.
where did u find it?

psylum

OTF status
Sep 18, 2007
Southern California
- ProLite Bags
- Creatures or OE leashes
- Lost, Oak Foils or Infinity boards
- Matuse Wetsuits
- Patagonia wetsuits (and backpacks)
- ON sneakers or Haviana sandals
- Goodr sunglasses
- Henriksen or Quilter guitar amps

Reactions: oeste858

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
where did u find it?
They have a US site - just ordered direct. Comes from Seal Beach, arrived in a couple days. Yes it's a little expensive but you use it differently. Just a little bit on top of some other wax (or basecoat) and you're set.

Reactions: urchined

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
another vote for sticky bumps wax. I rub it all over the tops of my feet so I can rub them together under the water and make the bottom of my feet more sticky. Like the tail pads from creatures with a lot of arch because my feet have.
Chilli surfboards. The way the foam looks, the nose and rail shapes....i just like her.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Album Hipster model 6'9" Asym twin quad, resin swirl under the glass, gloss finish epoxy over P/U
$2,000 before shipping and taxes.

• Love
Reactions: casa_mugrienta