Surf Equipment: Quality Gear

cdes

Nep status
Oct 9, 2006
Isurus wetsuits. I like the fit better than anything Ive tried - though Ive heard good things about the new O'Neills

I haven't had any issues with FCS2 fins, so for me they've been super convenient.

Dakine 40L section backpack. Awesome and huge backpack. I can fit an entire handbasket full of groceries in it. Big enough for a surf trip for an entire week. Not sure they make this one anymore, but mines still going strong.

Compressible stuff sacks for clothes work great on surf trips.

Scepter microfiber towel. I also use Waves ones on trips because they pack up small.

T-Rax board racks. Ive built a few racks over the years, but the foam will always fall apart or something.

Aeropress Coffee press with freshly ground beans - game changer.

SOL republic headphones. Dirt Cheap. Work well enough. Modular, so you can get replacement parts if you break a cord or something.

Reactions: Aruka

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Stretch CFT quads
Fins Unlimited Stretch #1,#2, #3
Malcom Campbell customs
PU/Epoxy
DA kine leases
Sticky Bumps
Pro lite day sessions and travel bags
O'Neill hyperfreak
Patagucci trunks
Da Kine traction
Astrodeck traction
MIlwaukee Tools
Bosch Dish washer

Last edited:

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
Stay Covered surf travel blocks
Futures Rasta Quads
Fowler Surfboards Stoker V - the most fun I've had in 2-4 ft mush

cdes

Nep status
Oct 9, 2006
Hey does anyone know if Firewire still ships boards with BAST pulp/cardboard rail protectors? They'd be on my list of travel essentials, but mine are disintegrating. Would be great if someone made a permanent set of these because the design was killer.

ckupczynski1

OTF status
Oct 14, 2009
Hey does anyone know if Firewire still ships boards with BAST pulp/cardboard rail protectors? They'd be on my list of travel essentials, but mine are disintegrating. Would be great if someone made a permanent set of these because the design was killer.
Look at pipe covers in plumbing section of hardware store

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
They fall off because they dont fit the rails as well. If you tape them, then you have to bring a roll of tape with you for the return trip.
Never had issues packing boards (fin boxes no fins) first board sock, day bag, and then prolite two board travel Rhino bag.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
They fall off because they dont fit the rails as well. If you tape them, then you have to bring a roll of tape with you for the return trip.
Roll of duct tape = boardrack straps, first aid kit, ding repair, tig welder, weatherproofer, hooker restraint....

Surf trip essential, even if I'm normally in Mexico or California and I can buy some there.

Reactions: MathDebater

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Has anyone tried out flexi-hexi? It seems promising to me. It would be nice to do that and a travel bag instead of sock and day bag.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
oh yeah, I will second the sh!t out of surf ears. I put them off for a few years because of the cost but always lost so many of the cheaper alternatives.
I lost one of my wings after a session pulling the plug out still under warranty and they sent me a whole new set of plugs.

Reactions: MathDebater

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Macks Silicon Ear plugs. Cheap as chips and fit well enough. Also side benefit is that they are difficult to hear with so you are spared inane chatter in line up.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Macks Silicon Ear plugs. Cheap as chips and fit well enough. Also side benefit is that they are difficult to hear with so you are spared inane chatter in line up.
I've staved off drilling for over 20 years by religiously wearing earplugs and have been through almost every brand and type (inclusing custom molded and Surf Ears). Macks are the only ones that consistently work for me. Pharmacy chains' own branded ones do not stick as well. I'm sure I've spent way too much money on them throughout the years as I use a new pair every session and they're around 82 cents a pair.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I've staved off drilling for over 20 years by religiously wearing earplugs and have been through almost every brand and type (inclusing custom molded and Surf Ears). Macks are the only ones that consistently work for me. Pharmacy chains' own branded ones do not stick as well. I'm sure I've spent way too much money on them throughout the years as I use a new pair every session and they're around 82 cents a pair.
+1 avoid drilling for 20 years even though I started late shows ears can heal.
But thread is quality and not quanity product so I think compared to customs or wearing a new pair of macks every session that surf ears is worth the $$$$. One easy fit they give you parts with 4 sizes to make your own custom plugs and two the leash is best I seen so far no problems with lost plug(s).

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
+1 avoid drilling for 20 years even though I started late shows ears can heal.
But thread is quality and not quanity product so I think compared to customs or wearing a new pair of macks every session that surf ears is worth the $$$$. One easy fit they give you parts with 4 sizes to make your own custom plugs and two the leash is best I seen so far no problems with lost plug(s).
you’re trippin.

don’t use a new pair of Mack’s every session. use the same pair till you lose them, like all the expensive brands, too. you cant beat the Mack’s if they fit your ears.

Reactions: chilly1

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
I do this same thing with arm pit rash.

The face stick stuff with roughly 20% zinc oxide seems to work best, in my experience.
Edit- I never got to the end of this thread before posting the following...

For rash prevention try "Glide", made to prevent runners chafing and comes in a deodorant application (blue). They even make a post rash ointment (green, squeeze application like sunblock). I ran out and, while shopping at CVS, noticed Gold Bond makes one too. *If you use this before surfing you will never have another rash. Bold call I know but I rash easy and I used to surf about 6 days a week 2 hour sessions and only time I had rashes is when I forgot to apply(*does not apply to traction rash but the after ointment will cure that quick). Try it you will be glad you did.

Reactions: Aruka

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
you’re trippin.

don’t use a new pair of Mack’s every session. use the same pair till you lose them, like all the expensive brands, too. you cant beat the Mack’s if they fit your ears.
or until you get sunblock on em, in my experience

Reactions: ChaseTMP