Surf Equipment: Quality Gear

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I used to be confused how anyone didn’t wear board short liners. Then I started putting sun screen where it hurt. Toughens the skin and acts as lube for the wax, too.

Problem solved.

Reactions: jkb and MathDebater

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I have some ancient O'neill Superfreak boardshorts that have to be +18 years old and are still in amazing condition. They have a 0.5mm band that runs up the sides and across the back (about 4" down from the top of the waistband). The zipper pull never corroded, not one thread on the seams pulled and the draw string is in perfect condition. I think I had a couple of pair (one was stolen) and wore them all the time up until I started feeling a little too 909 due to their length a few years back. They're still my "everything else is dirty" or doing messy chores go-to's.

The kooky Cloudbreak photo in the background was from 2003. It was one of those deals where the wife picked the absolute lamest shot to get blown up out of probably 50 much better slides as part of a wedding anniversary gift (we got engaged on Tavarua on this trip) a few years ago. My daughter likes it so it stays in her room.

Attachments

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
XTR: these have been bombproof for me, I ding most other boards.
Tomo designs: I believe. Got me frothing post-HPSB, and back into surfing for real.
Rusty: local world class shaper. Had 5, and haven't had a bad one yet. Blackbird: fave stepap
Mitsven: beautiful classic shapes, nice guy. Had 3 fishes so far, but looking at a new 5'3" quad minisim & 8' miniglider
Pad: Prolite micro dot pads: mitch crews- I 2nd that, Havoc. Slater algae ones are really good. Might have to try an Octopus.
Vissla boardshorts & booties.
Leash: yet to find a great one. CoL new Superlight feels nice, but still tangles.
Wax: only ever use StickyBumps. Cool or Warm seem fine for SoCal. Always thought Sexwax was for posers.
Fins: True Ames. Also, unlike others, I've never had issues with FCS2.
Bag: FCS Dayrunner/3DxFit. Expanding top ventilation strip is genius. The Flight ones are great for travel.
Post-surf: Thule bungy rack straps; Yeti coffee tumbler with magnetic top; Laird SUPerfood coffee creamer (LOL); Bullys Hot Water jug (can't bring myself to go full RinseKit); comfy changing poncho :p

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I used to be confused how anyone didn’t wear board short liners. Then I started putting sun screen where it hurt. Toughens the skin and acts as lube for the wax, too.

Problem solved.
I do this same thing with arm pit rash.

The face stick stuff with roughly 20% zinc oxide seems to work best, in my experience.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I do this same thing with arm pit rash.

The face stick stuff with roughly 20% zinc oxide seems to work best, in my experience.
Took me randomly comparing the ingredients of burn cream and sun screen to realize zinc oxide can do a lot.

Reactions: jkb

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
The kooky Cloudbreak photo in the background was from 2003. It was one of those deals where the wife picked the absolute lamest shot to get blown up out of probably 50 much better slides as part of a wedding anniversary gift (we got engaged on Tavarua on this trip) a few years ago. My daughter likes it so it stays in her room.
Isn't it amazing how the bitches always choose the worst surf photos to blow up?

10 times out of 10 they choose the WORST picture. :roflmao:

Reactions: ChaseTMP

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Rip Curl 3/2/One boardshort - best boardies ever. I prefer mine a bit thicker so the cordura is perfect for me, perfect fit and durable. never had any chafe.
Bought 3 of the same in case they stop making them :D Got two on ice in the cupboard.

Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 12.20.25.png

FCS ratchet tool - yea, any ratchet tool does the same thing, but I like this one.

Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 12.19.36.png

Channel Islands fin wallet. I like my sh!t organised.

Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 12.21.37.pngScreen Shot 2020-07-21 at 12.21.31.png

AM2 fins - they the default fins that go into any new board. Has FCS2 fit as well.
shopping.png

Surf poncho - IDGAF what anyone thinks of it, it sure helps getting in and out of my wetsuit without having mr Peepee fall out. It's in a wetsuit because of cold water, so even more smol than usual and no one needs to see it. My opinion would possible different if Mr Pee pee was bigger.

Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 12.36.37.png

My truck, Mitsubishi Triton (not sure what they're called in the US) Not the fanciest and priciest (in fact it's probably the most economical of them all), but impromtu camping strips to swell magnets, beach runs etc, it's there for me with never a complaint or issue.

IMG_4625.jpg

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Desitin (diaper rash stuff) is great sunscreen from a physical blocker perspective.

Just be careful where you put that stuff on and be sure to wash it and then towel it completely off. Warm months in Florida and Mexico, that stuff is like chum for no-see-ums and gnats and whatnot. Anything less than a brisk breeze and you'll have a cloud around your head, buzzing, landing up your nose and ears.....

Reactions: jkb

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
Stretch boards, the best!
Buell wetsuits, price is right.
Captain Fin, they always fit flush for me.
Aqua Battle Wax, sticky and smells like the best coffee!
Macs ear plugs, the purple ones.
Stay Covered leashes.
Prolite Rhino bag.

Oh and a Toyota Sienna

• Haha
Reactions: retodd and racer1

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Rusty- multiple customs, always done well
XTR- durable AF and can get designs from lots of good shapers
O'Neill- fullsuits for stretch and comfort
Patagonia wetsuit jacket- lasted 6+ years
Need Essentials boardies- not flashy, not baggy & get the job done
CI hex leash- doesn't get as tangled
Pro Lite and Atraction Co- traction both comfy underfoot and like their flat pad options
Creatures of Leisure wet/dry bucket- easy to keep wetsuit from getting the car wet
True Ames fins