Surf ear redux

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I have the same problem as you.

Don't use vinegar. Get ear wax oil and buy an ear wash kit off amazon. It's a water sprayer with a tiny hose that can fit in your ear. Put ear wax oil in your ear and let it sit for a bit then use warm water and soap and flush your ear. Every couple weeks I will pull rock size chunks of wax from my ear. It's disgusting but I am able to keep infections away.

My ENT said some people just create a bunch of ear wax and the only thing you can do is clean it out.

Also, don't use Q tips.
Repeat but vinegar is not for ear wax:shrug:

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Hey guys,

FYI..

Could never get the wax ball out with debrox and syringe flush and even using docs plugs and hood water was still getting trapped so I ended up at the ENT. disgusting but the wax was pasted to the bone growth in there. Vacum hurt like F as the whole area was irritated. She took photos and showed me each ear and that was really disturbing (can post). The left ear is 40% closed and not horrific however the subject ear has two bones that grew across and met each other in the middle as well as other bones, nasty. I really don't know how no water was getting out the 4 years in tropical water, only 4 years back, it's a mystery. I will keep going with docs plugs and hood and silicone when too warm for hood, but seems inevitable I will need to get em drilled eventually, especially when I plan on spending more time going back and forth from cold-warm water, plus I cant hear in restaurants, etc very well. Heading to warm water next week and am pretty bummed (but only because I will have to wear the silicon and the forecast looks like a lot to be desired). Was worth it of course but just wished I had started wearing plugs and hoods earlier in life.

Reactions: jkb

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I wouldn‘t put vinegar in your ear unless the goal is to have your ear smell like a freshly douched pu$$y.

Ear wax is oil based, so oil based drops is the best/most effective to use- Debrox recommended by my doc. I just had second ear chiseled a couple weeks ago, have had the good ear totally blocked via ear wax as well. I’ll repeat- if having ear problems- don’t be stupid &/or lazy - go to the fckn doctor and have it looked at.

I beg to differ. After I had my ear drilled, the Docs at House Ear Institute recommended the distilled white vineager/isopropyl alcohol drops. Don't pay for some fancy packaged brew. Mix it yourself.

Reactions: SurfDoc

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
Ear plugs. Wear them early and often in your surfing career. One year in Hungtington Beach working with the famous Doc Scott, the founder of Doc's Pro Plugs, we gave free ear exams to all the surfers. The percentage of surfers with bone growths even at young ages was astounding. Protect your ear canals! Trust me you'll get used to wearing them and thank me for your long term prevention of bony ear canal growths!

Reactions: Mr Doof

bigsurfer67

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 29, 2008
Ear plugs. Wear them early and often in your surfing career. One year in Hungtington Beach working with the famous Doc Scott, the founder of Doc's Pro Plugs, we gave free ear exams to all the surfers. The percentage of surfers with bone growths even at young ages was astounding. Protect your ear canals! Trust me you'll get used to wearing them and thank me for your long term prevention of bony ear canal growths!
Wear the plugs all the time...however just getting back into surfing after some time off. Got a few fun ones during the big so cal swell last week in my old rotted out wetsuit (need another)...water about 58 degrees...chilly. Unfortunately, a plug partially fell out...put it back in. Some water trapped in ear and a little sinus pain a week later. Feels like a mild infection...hopefully will resolve itself soon without antibiotics or anything. Took a quick picture of a singer/surfer with his broken board on the way in. Definitely wear the ear plugs at a minimum and make it a habit!

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I lost two pair of Docs, then tried others. "Earplanes" would stay in but were uncomfortable. I ended up wearing a hood anytime the water tempt goes under 60 degrees. At first I thought hoods were kooky looking, now I could care less what I look like. Also, now that I'm an old fart, not having to to do the hair flip after duck dives saves my neck a lot of wear and tear.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I lost two pair of Docs, then tried others. "Earplanes" would stay in but were uncomfortable. I ended up wearing a hood anytime the water tempt goes under 60 degrees. At first I thought hoods were kooky looking, now I could care less what I look like. Also, now that I'm an old fart, not having to to do the hair flip after duck dives saves my neck a lot of wear and tear.

Swivel hook attached to zipper and docs does the job but last 3 years I switched to surf ears :shaka: