Surf Contest Equipment Trailer and the Complete Event Setup Was Stolen in Oceanside

Ranga

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 31, 2008
?

Entitled? What tha Fock are you talking about. Dedicated is the correct word.
Here, the contest and pseudo-charity assholes lay claim to the best (and often only) wave for 50 miles in either direction. The contests are pointless, low-to-no-stakes affairs heavily endorsed by adult learner dads and/or divorced SaltLife soccer moms as a means to propel junior and his/her D grade pro level skills into one of the 32 slots at The Big Show. It keeps me from surfing sometimes, so aside from their inherent gheyness, contests and their definitively exclusionary nature are a bane for Recreational Bros like me.

In other places with more spots it may be less of an issue. But I bet if you're a Recreational Local Bro at Pipe, Sunset, Trestles, Seaside, etc etc then you may agree that more trailers need to be stolen.

santacruzin

Phil Edwards status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
I think contests were probably pretty cool and fun back in the day. A real community thing?

Not so much anymore. Parents who never were trying to make their little kid the next big thing!!

Always enjoy your takes :cheers:

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

rowjimmytour

Kelly Slater status
Feb 7, 2009
Rbeach
I think contests were probably pretty cool and fun back in the day. A real community thing?

Not so much anymore. Parents who never were trying to make their little kid the next big thing!!

Always enjoy your takes :cheers:
No or a least not in 805 early 80s I did the Rincon "only time I surfed rincon" and Hammonds and quit no fun even then plenty bro bra groms "prima donna" sponsored by CI:toilet:

Reactions: ZZ Soft Top

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
~snip~
then you may agree that more trailers need to be stolen.
^^^
F*CK that!
i h8 thieves, sooo badly...
I hope that you, Ranga, never get ripped off,
as many a member of thee Los Angeles surf crew, that i personally know,
{they whom live in a city of many a million pep'z},
1638636728338.jpeg
have been...

of course,
your thoughts, may indeed, differ...
l8erz, rw
:cheers:

Ranga

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 31, 2008
^^^
F*CK that!
i h8 thieves, sooo badly...
I hope that you, Ranga, never get ripped off,
as many a member of thee Los Angeles surf crew, that i personally know,
{they whom live in a city of many a million pep'z},
View attachment 120198
have been...

of course,
your thoughts, may indeed, differ...
l8erz, rw
:cheers:
Petty thievery is base, no question, and I'm sure it sux for all involved; but in my 40+ years of surfing, I have not seen contests improve the experience of the rank and file non-contest surf guy. Further, the surf contest ethic and the incomprehensible compulsion to GROW THE SPORT (read: grow the industry, grow the profits) is in direct opposition to that which drew me to the experience in the first place (simplicity, quietude, etc). I selfishly and pettily applaud anything that stands in the way of expansion and progress in the SPORT OF SURFING.

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
^^^
hiya Ranga,
good day sir!

we both, i believe, do live in a capitalistic society, no?
i learnt to surf, in '76, on a surfin' board, made by Wind~n~Sea, 'twas a 6'3" single fin.
it surely cost some coin to have it's blank created, thee board shaped, then glassed, sanded, polished, + then displayed.
my Mom bought it, used, for $20.00 + 4 qualudes, for me, to learn how to stand up upon it, in 1976. pic here:
1st Surfboard~02.JPG

my 1st surfin' wetsuit,
was a dive suit, seen here:

so i rode a bus, from Venice, in to Santa Monica, by myself,
to then walked a few blocks past Montanta Ave in thee Northside of Doggie~Town, to meet up with a stranger,
whom i had read of his ad in thee Bargain Box of Santa Monica's old Evening Outlook Newspaper,
and well this dude was wishin' to sell said so wetsuit,
{which actually was a beaver~tail dive~suit},
for $22.00. so i bought it...

some company obviously made that beaver~tail wetsuit, seen with me modelin' it, apres surf, above,
tucked under + over my young 14 year ol' virgin nutz, just a~waitin' a few yearz
for Rebecca to start fondlin' 'em,
hahaha!

some~one,
some company,
they made that rubber, it's threadz, zipperz, too,
it did indeed, help keep me warm...
$$$!

waaay back then,
there were pep'z makin' $$$$$$$ alllll around surf,
which had not even yet exploded, like it did in Thee '80's, ya know,?
etc, etc, etc...

esh, 1 time, yearz ago,
as i used to sell alotta Zog's Sex~Wax, i asked him why he named it: Sex~Wax?
he told me, rw, "that randy, SEX sells", hahaha...

i can discuss the if's, thee how'z, the what not's, of capitalist society makin' coin: off surf, for hours upon hourz,
but ah, i'm gonna bail, wright now, so ah, you have you a pleasant Saturday, ok, as i too, will sure~ly try to do!
see ya, randy
:waving:

Last edited: