Surf coaching

I was not expecting the topic to be so spirited. Since some of you mentioned, I will be getting footage (included in the coaching session) and won't post any videos of me surfing, don't need the extra insecurity thank you.

If surf coaching is limited to video analysis couldn't we just use some clever layer (machine learning) for that? We could train it on thousands of video hours: the correct pop up pace/technique, positioning on the board and apparent weight distribution on each maneuver. Ten bucks a month, who's in?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I was not expecting the topic to be so spirited. Since some of you mentioned, I will be getting footage (included in the coaching session) and won't post any videos of me surfing, don't need the extra insecurity thank you.

If surf coaching is limited to video analysis couldn't we just use some clever layer (machine learning) for that? We could train it on thousands of video hours: the correct pop up pace/technique, positioning on the board and apparent weight distribution on each maneuver. Ten bucks a month, who's in?
I guess as long as you don’t post any footage on social media, us soul surfers will allow it. LOL

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
I have been coached at other sports (Tennis, Football - Soccer for you yanks) and I have to say that my experience has been positive, meaning I have improved in these sports. I have been surfing for 22 years or so and at 37 I am taking a trip and hiring a coach for the first time.
I never really thought about it but recently I have been asking why is it that in order to improve our surf (as most of us would like I assume) surfers don't usually go that route? Is it maybe 'frowned upon' in our culture? Lack of organized infrastructure/programs?
Cause it’s not fckn sport

kelpcutter

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 24, 2008
Video will confirm how bad you look, but won't tell you how to fix it. A coach might suggest ways to improve your surfing, but your bad habits and muscle memory will fight you. Improving is a worthy goal even if it's not easy and progress is incremental.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
my point was that you don’t even need to do that. most of our mistakes will involve positioning in the line up, wave selection, and position on the wave - too far on the shoulder, missed sections to hit the lip.

very little will be about form correction that isn’t a gimmick that may or not help.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Surfing better waves is the only bona fide pathway to improve as you get older.

I'm Slater vintage and I feel my good wave surfing with dialled in boards is still improving.

shitty beachbreaks it's deteriorating and I can have complete kook sessions in that type of surf.
Nailed it

put me in world class surf, even or especially the somewhat intimidating kind, and my surfing rises to the occasion. I don’t go out and shred the gnar, I’m a lifelong dedicatedly average short boarder. But I have been doing this since I was 9, primarily in shitty beach break and cold water, and now that I have traveled for decades and surfed many high quality waves, that aspect of my surfing continues to improve.

Losing a bunch of weight keeps me in the cold shitty beach break game here at home, but, cold shitty beach break is getting kind of old. It has to be at least somewhat to very good for me to pull on the 5 mil these days. And sometimes I’m just a little bit slower than I was as a teenager, so making those fast little close out drops on short steep wind swell ain’t always as easy as it once was. some sessions indeed devolve into kook fests and I go home and kick the puppy until morale improves

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
My absolute peak of surfing was when I was 40.
Mine was 50.

We had an insane year of surf- I had great boards, was in great shape and surfed my ass off.

Back injury slowed me down, but I feel on an upwards trajectory again.

40 I surfed Teahupoo.
43 Tombstones/Gnaraloo
46 Cloudbreak
49 Mentawais.

Hope to get to G-Land this year- I'm fond of barrelling lefts.

Last edited: