Surf Beach (Vandenburg)

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
When it's pumping and you're having fun you can be at a known sharky spot and it only crosses your mind getting into the water and out. Even if you're alone.

Really weird how your mind does that.

Unless of course, you have an encounter.

It's rather sobering.
I surfed that spot on Santa Rosa that guy just got hit at. Firing 100 yard lefts. 10 foot faces. Hated every second of it. The paddle through the kelp was terrifying. Long scary paddles.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
An extra set of legs doesn't mean much to me.
To me, an extra set of legs means I have a 50% chance of not getting hit if a shark is indeed going to hit someone while I'm there.

Still an extraordinarily slim chance, I know, but having someone else out there puts my mind at ease.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Grew up surfing high risk places. North of Santa Cruz. As a kid. Saw the biggest Great White I have ever witnessed doing a surf check at Pescadero. Ano, Rims, Waterfalls. Had a good friend I went to High School with get attacked. Scott Creek area, 180 stitches.

After all of those years. Now two minutes away. All of the local south county beaches. The places I thought were safe, are full of juvie Great Whites. They come in and warm up in the shallow waters. Used to be 8', now pushing 10' - 11'.

So when does the day come when one of these big, warm, lazy bastards just decides to eat the legs dangling down instead of swimming 20 miles to catch a seal???

Reactions: dunnder