Surf and ocean art

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Quite; it's about 40min drive. Why?
Was just curious where you were.
I was staying in Den Haag for 6 weeks back in mid 80's and that was the beach we would go to.
I remember seeing some decent surf there occasionally not to mention quite a few pretty girls that preferred to lay out without a bikini top.
Really loved the Netherlands more than any other country in Western Europe.
Very nice Country and nice people. At least that was my experience in the short while I was there.

Reactions: PPK96754
Jan 26, 2017
Netherlands
Was just curious where you were.
I was staying in Den Haag for 6 weeks back in mid 80's and that was the beach we would go to.
I remember seeing some decent surf there occasionally not to mention quite a few pretty girls that preferred to lay out without a bikini top.
Really loved the Netherlands more than any other country in Western Europe.
Very nice Country and nice people. At least that was my experience in the short while I was there.
Ah, got you. I sometimes surf Scheveningen but mostly end up a bit further S. Schevening is indeed one of the dutch premier spots, as far as dutch premier spots go (we lack an ocean and have to make do with a shallow sea ;-) ). I live on the southern outskirts of Rotterdam so that's why I end up somewhere else mostly. Moreover, surf has exploded here, despite the mediocre conditions, and Scheef has gone ballistic with bus loads of kooks and a bunch localist wannabe's.

Haha, topless sun bathing... was a thing when I grew up but is nowadays not done anymore. Weird, sad but true.

Reactions: keenfish

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
25694DED-B9C0-417C-B05F-02F0A1C40100.jpeg
surf related cause surfing is mostly a zoo theses days. Grace Hartigan OG. Can be yours for 50k. Accepting gold or BTC or cash

Aquaman2

Michael Peterson status
Apr 17, 2008
Socal
fineartamerica.com
John Kaelin - Shop (fineartamerica.com)

Order a shower curtain 6' x 6' of any of these historic big waves, for less than $90 and stretch it out on your wall. It is hard to appreciate how big some waves actually are based on a small picture. The bigger the picture is the easier it is to understand the scale.

Mavericks 2001 Shower Curtain for Sale by John Kaelin (fineartamerica.com)
Carlos Burle at Mavs on "100' Wednesday on one of the last waves ridden that day. Shawn Alladio and Jonathon Cahill were the last ones in the water. They drive their jet skis at top speed directly into a set of 5 or 7 waves over 100 feet tall!! If you are going 50mph straight at a wave moving towards you at 25mph, that is a closing speed of 75mph!! When you hit the crest do you fly off the back of the wave, fall 50 feet down, and land in the trough of the next 100 footer??

"Hitting that wave face felt exactly like hitting a steep hill climb on a motocross bike," Cahill said. "But the wave itself was moving so fast, it seemed like we were being thrown backward at the same time we were going up and up. The key was to let off on the throttle at the top. Otherwise you could overshoot right off the back of the wave and fall too far, land with too much impact way out in the next trough. You had to think about not landing nose down, or tail down, but just right."

"We free-fell for about 50 feet before we landed on the back slope of the wave," Alladio said. "And those machines weigh about 900 pounds, so I went deep, down into the water almost up to my elbows. And that was the moment when I felt a little shot of panic."

DESPERATE RACE FOR SURVIVAL / RIDING FOR THEIR LIVES: Two water safety patrollers on Jet Skis at Maverick's reef turned around to see deadly 100-foot waves crashing toward them. They had just seconds to figure out how to stay alive. (sfgate.com)

Peter Mel at Mavs 10-28-1999:
Mavericks 1999 Shower Curtain for Sale by John Kaelin (fineartamerica.com)

My work has been for sale on Fine Art America for 4 years and I only earned a grand total of about $26 from the sale of one metal print of Laird at Teahupoo in Aug 2000 and a coffee mug. I hope you all can do better than that. Anyhow I'm comfortably retired and I don't need the money.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: MV2local