Superbrand Fling

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Yep , t1 set

Got it pretty much for newport , tighter quicker waves that u don't have much time on

Replacement to the tkf = banjo and hands down my favorite fish ever . Never though I would love futures keels more than glass on but I doo

CC keels for tiger sheds , stamps keels for drive and hold

CC are smaller with more cant

Attachments

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Yep , t1 set

Got it pretty much for newport , tighter quicker waves that u don't have much time on

Replacement to the tkf = banjo and hands down my favorite fish ever . Never though I would love futures keels more than glass on but I doo

CC keels for tiger sheds , stamps keels for drive and hold

CC are smaller with more cant
Stocked to hear you are digging the banjo todd. Definitely my favorite fish as well.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
not to derail, but speaking of twin+trailers, been seeing a few non-wing swallowtails with that fin setup which all look like they could be daily drivers around here:
I know most of the consensus on the erBB is, twin fin or nothing
But IMO good potential - especially bc they could be set as a thruster with a smaller center

Reactions: jkb and oeste858

Tomay

OTF status
Feb 2, 2010
So not loving it so far. Thinking of trying a Twin+Stabiliser set up. Any FCS reccomendations? Also thinking of giving it a go as a quad - can't find the stretch set in australia, anyone tried the HS quads or have any other recommendations?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
So not loving it so far. Thinking of trying a Twin+Stabiliser set up. Any FCS reccomendations? Also thinking of giving it a go as a quad - can't find the stretch set in australia, anyone tried the HS quads or have any other recommendations?
What aren't you loving? My fav fin setup in the Fling was the Super L quad set. HS set felt okay but I liked more raked quads.

Definitely preferred quad over thruster but I think I'm in the minority.

Twin + trailer seems like it would be too loose in such a wide tail.

Reactions: claw87

Tomay

OTF status
Feb 2, 2010
What aren't you loving? My fav fin setup in the Fling was the Super L quad set. HS set felt okay but I liked more raked quads.

It lacks spark and speed.

edit: Currently running AM Large sides and Reactor Med rear.

Definitely won't be replacing my oversized bottom feeder at the low end (probably to be expected in hindsight) and then falls in where my McNeil Mini Pip is sitting in the quiver which is an awesome board and does everything about as good as you could want. I'd like to give it more of a chance though, maybe as a quad.

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Might as well try it with some twins and some kind of trailer. You’re probably used to the wide tail/twin feel from the mini pip? I have a futures fling that works very well in small waves w the Captain especial 2+1 set. I like the super quad set too. But would only pick that for bigger or more down the line waves. I surf a lot of peaky beach break.

Could be wrong but I think the rear fin will sit further up with fcs. The futures trailers are usually pushed all the way back on the tab. If that’s the case, try a smaller thruster center with the twins.

Reactions: Aruka

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017

Found more raked quads to work better too (Favoured the DHD and AM set over the Reactors I usually run in grovellers).

AM Twin with trailer way too loose, Power Twin with trailer fun though.

Reactions: Aruka

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I would think the Fling would be way too loose and lack drive with twins. I'm not a big quad fan but in the Fling I had they worked well. People also like the large Super set as a tri. Maybe big twins with controllers would be good.

Tomay

OTF status
Feb 2, 2010
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll try to figure out a raked quad set. The Mini Pip has the channel and diamond tail which makes it a bit different to the fling, it gives it a lot of drive and hold.

Is the bottom feeder futures?
Nah It's FCS1 with Powerbase XL sides and L rear quads that I run in it (magic fins). Never really used the grub screws on FCS2 boxes but i suppose that could be an option. Would give me a comparison.

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll try to figure out a raked quad set. The Mini Pip has the channel and diamond tail which makes it a bit different to the fling, it gives it a lot of drive and hold.

Nah It's FCS1 with Powerbase XL sides and L rear quads that I run in it (magic fins). Never really used the grub screws on FCS2 boxes but i suppose that could be an option. Would give me a comparison.
You would have to drill extra holes in the powerbase fins cause fcs2 grubbies are not like fusions.

I was thinking of it was futures the cant was more upright , giving more drive
I see most fcs2 front fins have more cant compared to their futures fins friend

Tomay

OTF status
Feb 2, 2010
You would have to drill extra holes in the powerbase fins cause fcs2 grubbies are not like fusions.

I was thinking of it was futures the cant was more upright , giving more drive
I see most fcs2 front fins have more cant compared to their futures fins friend
FCS is garbage. Wish I committed to futures years ago. Might try and move some sets on that I hate and leave the ones I have dialled in for the current quiver and switch. Always liked the look of Dane's fins and some others. Funnily my favourite fins have not been made by FCS but have fit in the system (FCS1): True Ames YU Tri Fins and Powerbase DXL XL. Ever since FCS2 came out the only fins that have really clicked for me have been AM's.

Reactions: Havoc

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I've only had the squashtail version, so I can't chime in on your swallowtail one.
Thruster I liked for squashtail but maybe swallowtail needs quads?

Reactions: SharkBoy

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
buddy was running Kelly quads on his swallow i think

other friend runs Futures EA techflex on his thruster w squash / thumb

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
It lacks spark and speed.

edit: Currently running AM Large sides and Reactor Med rear.

Definitely won't be replacing my oversized bottom feeder at the low end (probably to be expected in hindsight) and then falls in where my McNeil Mini Pip is sitting in the quiver which is an awesome board and does everything about as good as you could want. I'd like to give it more of a chance though, maybe as a quad.
It sounds like a fin issue. Or the waves are just truly terrible. The Fling definitely shouldn't lack spark and speed in anything with a little shape. Maybe try AM fronts with some med or large quad rears.

Tomay

OTF status
Feb 2, 2010
I've only had the squashtail version, so I can't chime in on your swallowtail one.
Thruster I liked for squashtail but maybe swallowtail needs quads?
Had it out in bigger waves today and it still felt average. You're probably right, it feels like the tail is fighting the board. I feel like I'm doing child turns flicking it sideways with my legs, it just wants to spin on the spot and doesn't even get down the line with any real speed (compared to what I was expecting maybe?).

The OG tail would have been a lot more playful and probably faster (with tri fin set up at least). I'll give her a go as a quad, hopefully that sorts it out.

SharkBoy

Miki Dora status
Oct 22, 2004
Had it out in bigger waves today and it still felt average. You're probably right, it feels like the tail is fighting the board. I feel like I'm doing child turns flicking it sideways with my legs, it just wants to spin on the spot and doesn't even get down the line with any real speed (compared to what I was expecting maybe?).

The OG tail would have been a lot more playful and probably faster (with tri fin set up at least). I'll give her a go as a quad, hopefully that sorts it out.
you are underfinned...especially side fins

a Griff set would do you right

Reactions: Tomay

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Despite a consistently small October here I've only given the OG Fling I recently picked up a few spins. 1st sesh was small and mostly closey. Paddled in well though and seemed pretty fast down the line. Volume, which I contemplated on this board thinking it may be slightly under seemed fine. Second sesh was a mega packed crowd on a sand bottomed point like set up that hasn't been set up for many years with an uber tight take off. The few waves I did manage to grab from frothing pack of snow bros, my foot placement was off, couldn't shuffle, and dogged a top turn. So 2 frustrating sessions not really good sessions to test. I like wide tail blocks, but need to get used to nose width and length. Haven't had a board under 5'10" with a wide nose in some time. Also think I am going to like it as a quad, which I haven't tried yet. There's a winter wave this board should like, but have lucked into seshies at the better spot, which is a Ghost type wave. Will keep packing it as an option and hope to get into some running waves one of these days.