Superbrand Fling

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I had a Bottom Feeder for a few years. I had a Fling for a brief period of time. This isn't a reflection on the Fling as much as me being over grovelers.

The Bottom Feeder was a great board ridden primarily as a quad with Merrick Twins in front and Controllers in the rear. Worked on pretty small gutless waves and was really fun on waist to chest high soft waves. Big high tide bowls were the best.

The Fling I used at a perfect right point in Mexico at about waist to chest and it was a blast. When I got it home, to my local beachbreak, it didn't work as well. We had a big sand project and the bottom changed and flat grovelers just don't work as well as they did before the sand project. Waves are more dumpy and it just didn't agree with the Fling.

Fling is a higher performance board than the BF. If I lived in southern Califorina with lots of mushy reefs and points and beach breaks, I'd ride a Fling a lot. For me at home, I started riding an egg on the type of days I used to ride my Bottom Feeder. I don't love the feeling of a fat tail under my feet.

Reactions: Aruka and chilly1

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
I had a Bottom Feeder for a few years. I had a Fling for a brief period of time. This isn't a reflection on the Fling as much as me being over grovelers.

The Bottom Feeder was a great board ridden primarily as a quad with Merrick Twins in front and Controllers in the rear. Worked on pretty small gutless waves and was really fun on waist to chest high soft waves. Big high tide bowls were the best.

The Fling I used at a perfect right point in Mexico at about waist to chest and it was a blast. When I got it home, to my local beachbreak, it didn't work as well. We had a big sand project and the bottom changed and flat grovelers just don't work as well as they did before the sand project. Waves are more dumpy and it just didn't agree with the Fling.

Fling is a higher performance board than the BF. If I lived in southern Califorina with lots of mushy reefs and points and beach breaks, I'd ride a Fling a lot. For me at home, I started riding an egg on the type of days I used to ride my Bottom Feeder. I don't love the feeling of a fat tail under my feet.
Thanks. The Fling sounds and looks like it's closer to the Puddle Jumper which is a slightly higher performance than the BF. Doubt there has been a model that has had a wider following on here than the Fling.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Thanks. That's along the lines of my journey sans a Fling. The PJ was a great performance groveler and I have the PJHP which I don't dislike but it really departs the grovel realm and when I compare it to my Short Round for smaller better waves SR is an easy choice for me. I've been missing the PJ, I think I will off the PJHP replace with a Fling.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Thanks. That's along the lines of my journey sans a Fling. The PJ was a great performance groveler and I have the PJHP which I don't dislike but it really departs the grovel realm and when I compare it to my Short Round for smaller better waves SR is an easy choice for me. I've been missing the PJ, I think I will off the PJHP replace with a Fling.
I'm probably in the minority but I think after having both for like 9 months I prefer the PJ (Slim dims). It grovels better and I don't think it gives up anything in fun sized waves either. Fling is a fun board and I've had some really fun sessions on it but it's not as consistent for me. Usually that wide tail doesn't bother me but sometimes it definitely does.

PJ is pretty much a magic gravel boar for me. I've considered a PJHP but reviews seem to be a little mixed.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
PJ would certainly be hard to beat! My PU PJ was pretty beat and I put it away. My son wrecked all his own boards uncovered it and eventually broke it in 2.
I don't know but maybe slim dims was an early version of the PJHP. The hippy Fling looks like a good compromise having a wide nose and more performance tail vs the PJHP is more pulled over all.
I like my PJHP it got a rounded squash and rolled vee in the back that feels swift and smooth when you down carve.
I don't usually like to get same model twice but if I went PJ again it would be carbon wrap. Its hard to think about groveling this time of year plus I've got some boards on the way so I will take my time deciding.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
PJ would certainly be hard to beat! My PU PJ was pretty beat and I put it away. My son wrecked all his own boards uncovered it and eventually broke it in 2.
I don't know but maybe slim dims was an early version of the PJHP. The hippy Fling looks like a good compromise having a wide nose and more performance tail vs the PJHP is more pulled over all.
I like my PJHP it got a rounded squash and rolled vee in the back that feels swift and smooth when you down carve.
I don't usually like to get same model twice but if I went PJ again it would be carbon wrap. Its hard to think about groveling this time of year plus I've got some boards on the way so I will take my time deciding.
My PJ is carbon wrap. Fling is superflex. I like the way both ride and would definitely take either over PU for this type of board. Carbon wrap has some pretty good deck dents although I've probably ridden it a little more.

Reactions: chilly1

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Mine was supposed to be Carbon Wrap and I was a little disappointed upon arrival but when i looked at the deep vee on the bottom I swear it looked like some extra attention was given to it and combined with the Seaworthy controllers that thing flew and carved like butter. I think the PU gave it some range as well as I would commonly ride in overhead surf and it still felt positive. It was maybe a happy accident. My Short Round CW wouldn't have fared as well particularly with any surface texture.

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
The hippy Fling looks like a good compromise having a wide nose and more performance tail vs the PJHP is more pulled over all.
I feel like the fling has a surprising amount of hold for such a fat tail, going vertical is a bit harder than on the PJHP. Rail to rail seems smoother though, I found the puddle series to be a bit sticky at times.

Carbon wrap might be a bit more responsive than super flex, but super flex feels a bit more solid in choppier waves (for me, at least). Super flex takes the win for ding resistance, rails are pretty bulletproof too.

I suggest go hippy flex and be the guinea pig, I don't think anybody on here has one ;)

Reactions: Aruka

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Q for the Flingers... How would a fling be as a 1st real board for someone who's only really surfed longboards & softies? My 20yo nephew is looking to get a board and has only been a casual surfer growing up. he's 6'2, 170, and he should be done growing. Surfs PB beachbreaks. Don't think he was too into my suggestion of an egg, and he had something like a 6' fish in mind. Was trying to think of something like a groveler with good paddling and turns easy and you guys all rave about the Fling

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Q for the Flingers... How would a fling be as a 1st real board for someone who's only really surfed longboards & softies? My 20yo nephew is looking to get a board and has only been a casual surfer growing up. he's 6'2, 170, and he should be done growing. Surfs PB beachbreaks. Don't think he was too into my suggestion of an egg, and he had something like a 6' fish in mind. Was trying to think of something like a groveler with good paddling and turns easy and you guys all rave about the Fling
The fling is really loose and skatey. It might be hard for someone who is still getting the hand of it. Plus you need to ride them real short so that will make it challenging.

Reactions: oeste858

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Wide tails tend to be better for intermediate to advanced surfers

A high volume twin plus trailer would be a good start

View attachment 99928
Good points. I’m gonna have him try the GremlinXL I just got. It’s chunky, flat, and has got a pretty pulled-in swallow tail. Their website even says:
“...It's also a great transitional board for the more beginner surfer who is ready to take the step away from their longboard (or whatever they have been riding)...”
So, worth a try.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I used a big chunky step up as my transition board followed by a bigger (6') fish as my transition boards. I agree I think a grovel board could be difficult for a novice between the short length and chunky tail.

Reactions: sdsrfr and Havoc

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
In looks and feel they are similar

The Kazuma has a mellow single to bubble with a splash of vee
My old rmf had a much deeper double

Glassing is 100 xs better

Very happy with every thing about the Kazuma. I can cruise in mush of the SD , fits in the pocket at rjs . Had some days were it was pretty big and it was epic . Big ole carvs .

Kazuma really hit me a grandslam for custom #1

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Very happy with every thing about the Kazuma. I can cruise in mush of the SD , fits in the pocket at rjs . Had some days were it was pretty big and it was epic . Big ole carvs .
Do you usually ride it with the training wheel? I’m assuming you got it for softer/smaller waves, compared to the Stamps fish you replaced earlier this year?

Last edited: