Superbrand Fling

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
My 5'6 Superflex is 2 9/16" and I think there were some that were 2 5/8" which really doesn't matter, but mine feels pretty good under the arm.
Yes mine is 2 5/8" and it's a big much. I think 9/16 or 1/2 would be perfect. But it's great for small waves, I've even used it in much bigger surf. Also I push my niece into waves on it and she goes flying down the line.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
My 5-8 is 2 1/2. Rails are pretty thin TBH. I definitely wouldn't want it much shorter for my tall azz.

Haven't ridden it as thruster much but I think I rode it enough to know I prefer it as a quad. Roberts PC Large quad set best so far. I have the Super L quads in there now but haven't tested them yet.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Nice Jamby. I'm curious to hear how you like that Flying Pony compared to the Fling.

Reactions: Jamby

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Can any of you recommend a good quad fin set up for my Puddlefish. The PF I got last June that got crushed by Delta and the one I have now are the first quads I've ever had. I have Channel Island fins in it the guy at the shop recomnended. I didn't know enough about quads to not take his recommendation.

Mar 27, 2019
Somewhere
Nice Jamby. I'm curious to hear how you like that Flying Pony compared to the Fling.
TY:shaka:
The Fling, to me, had a full Reactor Quad set written all over it with that tail, but I saw Racer's post about the AM's so figured I would try them first. I typically run mediums in everything, but figured the short little 5'2 could probably use some more fin
Can any of you recommend a good quad fin set up for my Puddlefish. The PF I got last June that got crushed by Delta and the one I have now are the first quads I've ever had. I have Channel Island fins in it the guy at the shop recomnended. I didn't know enough about quads to not take his recommendation.
I always wanted a Puddle Fish, even the Lib Tech one looks good to me. I usually start with a Split Keel set or Controllers depending on fin system, on anything that remotely looks like a fish. That, for me at least, gives the most amount of drive the board can give you, and you can loosen it up from there if needed. Even if they don't work, and they just might be too much fin for that shape, they are always handy to have for other shapes. Great fins the controllers are.
What did you run in the one that was crushed?
SurfNShow did a review on that board a few years ago.Might be worth a look

Last edited:
Reactions: gbg

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
TY:shaka:
The Fling, to me, had a full Reactor Quad set written all over it with that tail, but I saw Racer's post about the AM's so figured I would try them first. I typically run mediums in everything, but figured the short little 5'2 could probably use some more fin

I always wanted a Puddle Fish, even the Lib Tech one looks good to me. I usually start with a Split Keel set or Controllers depending on fin system, on anything that remotely looks like a fish. That, for me at least, gives the most amount of drive the board can give you, and you can loosen it up from there if needed. Even if they don't work, and they just might be too much fin for that shape, they are always handy to have for other shapes. Great fins the controllers are.
What did you run in the one that was crushed?
SurfNShow did a review on that board a few years ago.Might be worth a look
I checked it out thanks. I ordered the Reactor rear fins for $65 as suggested. We will see. I was riding the PF at 37 litres in 8-10 foot (faces) right points last summer and I was fine. The 42 litre board I just have not had in bigger surf with good shape. Works like a dream in hollow chest to head high surf and that's mostly what I surf these days.

Oct 1, 2015
Thanks for the fin recommendation. Yeah, I'm expecting my 5'6" to be pretty corky, but it'll be for local dribble that I've been passing on for the last few years. I'm sure if I was in HI where there's more power, I'd want to be on a 5'4. My 5'6 Superflex is 2 9/16" and I think there were some that were 2 5/8" which really doesn't matter, but mine feels pretty good under the arm. I also weighed in that it'll be easier for my daughter to ride than a lower volume board since she's just figuring out angling on the Wavestorm.

It's pretty funny though, as soon as she's up on the Wavestorm she's trying to pump down the line, which there is no way she can on that behemoth at only 80 pounds. She has been riding my Carver skateboard quite a bit which I think will help her transition onto the Fling.

This thread has definitely had a heavy influence on my chosen quiver. Started reading the rave reviews from Racer and others, then preceded to watch Ben Gravey in late 2017 having a blast groveling mostly New Jersey slop... Incredible how he would punt airs on the tiniest sections being a bigger guy. Throw in the great reviews regarding superflexs durability and I Had to try! Throw in that Super is offering a Healthcare discount (racer maybe you know someone?) and I was pretty sold (which included selling my other xtr rnf redux grovler). I also struggled sizing wise with the same issues as @ChaseTMP. (Similar skill but 5'11 180LBs, Glad you found one you like)! Brett barley, Ben Gravey, and most of this thread recommended sizing up 3L or so.. I was weary with anything over 2.5 thick but filled out the order card for a 5'6 2.5 31L. The next day a 5'4 old dims @ 2 7/16 29Ls popped up on Craigs. Bought it, took it out to one of the only salty spot open, and it felt pretty big for what I had been riding even at less volume. Fling Absolutely flew as a quad! A different feeling though as I had been riding a twin + trailer, the quad and width of the board made for more speed and down the line surfing as opposed to the hold I got with the twin. Struggled to do wraps. Couldn't really picture a thicker board so emailed Jason and changed the thickness on my order to 2 7/16. I guess your milage may vary on what your used too for sizing, but one thing is forsure, after a few sessions on the Fling, I totally understand the hype! So fast and playful! It brought back some joy to my groveling!

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Also really like mine. I could probably go smaller but like the rail line length of the 5'6". Started as a quad, now on a thruster. All setups actually worked pretty well but I'll share my thoughts (FCS 2):

1st setup - AM Large/Reactor Quad Rears
- very quick, free feeling. In better waves I found it a little too sensitive - which makes it feel a little "vague" at higher speeds (if that makes sense). I like the feeling of having drive available and a little hold from the fins.

2nd setup - AM Large/Mayhem Quad Rears
- best quad setup I've tried. The mayhem quad rears came from an older FCS1 set - but they're the standard quad rear template for FCS (I think performer rears, am large rears and some others are all the same?). this is super fast, drivey and feels a lot like a normal board in turns. Took away the overly sensitive feel. Still plenty loose. Didn't really have any plans to change fins but I got curious - and always kind of end up going back to thrusters...

3rd setup - AM Large thruster
- took a session or so to adjust to the new feel. Really really good. I think the back fin gives a reference point in turns that I'm just more comfortable with. Once I got used to the thruster, I could drive harder and had more confidence doing turns. Feel that I can push harder through turns - but maybe more importantly, adjust turns as needed. I think this is important in small waves. I think you can do some amazing turns on quads - but your timing has to be on, and you're a little more limited in terms of pivot/adjusting the turn. So the quad has a lot of inherent speed, drive etc. but turns aren't quite as good overall - I can't always rail a perfect bottom/top turn in tiny waves - and the other types of turns aren't as good on a quad (IMO). I also surf a lot on my backhand, where I think the back fin helps even more.

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I took mine out early this morning before the tide got too low. Unfortunately it was was pretty bumpy from moderate onshores and lots of rips and looked like every local high school's surf class/team decided to descend on my local jetty. The red tide was still making things an unpleasant brown color although the smell was not too bad and came in little wafts.

I had it set up as a thruster with Kolohe Andino large fins. The board as almost everyone has mentioned, is super (pun sorta intended) easy to get going fast. The waves were waist with some occasional chest high ones coming through. I could feel the thickness/wide tail fighting me a bit on a roundhouse as it wanted to pop out a bit when I was redistributing my weight during the initial part of the turn.

I've only surfed twice in the last 48 days compared to surfing almost everyday when it was open out front, so I didn't feel at the top of my game. In addition, my back has been killing me since Saturday, so the weird cutback feeling may have been me out of practice or compensating for my back pain. With that said, I did a similar turn in Huntington a few weeks ago on my twin which felt like I had a lot more traction, so I was kind of surprised the tri set up didn't feel like it had as much hold as the turn on my twin (a 5'8 rounded pin with fins set back at 7.25").

I did get a little backhand wave that I got a decent little turn off and was surprised how tight of turn the fat thing could do. The instantaneous speed you get from the board makes me think that I'll be trying more airs than normal as soon as my back feels better. For a first session I'm pretty stocked. I think I may put AM large Aircores in tomorrow sine they have a little more area and might not be overpowered as much. The AM's base is slightly smaller than the KA's, but I wasn't wanting for more drive at any time.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2015
I took mine out early this morning before the tide got too low. Unfortunately it was was pretty bumpy from moderate onshores and lots of rips and looked like every local high school's surf class/team decided to descend on my local jetty. The red tide was still making things an unpleasant brown color although the smell was not too bad and came in little wafts.

I had it set up as a thruster with Kolohe Andino large fins. The board as almost everyone has mentioned, is super (pun sorta intended) easy to get going fast. The waves were waist with some occasional chest high ones coming through. I could feel the thickness/wide tail fighting me a bit on a roundhouse as it wanted to pop out a bit when I was redistributing my weight during the initial part of the turn.

I've only surfed twice in the last 48 days compared to surfing almost everyday when it was open out front, so I didn't feel at the top of my game. In addition, my back has been killing me since Saturday, so the weird cutback feeling may have been me out of practice or compensating for my back pain. With that said, I did a similar turn in Huntington a few weeks ago on my twin which felt like I had a lot more traction, so I was kind of surprised the tri set up didn't feel like it had as much hold as the turn on my twin (a 5'8 rounded pin with fins set back at 7.25").

I did get a little backhand wave that I got a decent little turn off and was surprised how tight of turn the fat thing could do. The instantaneous speed you get from the board makes me think that I'll be trying more airs than normal as soon as my back feels better. For a first session I'm pretty stocked. I think I may put AM large Aircores in tomorrow sine they have a little more area and might not be overpowered as much. The AM's base is slightly smaller than the KA's, but I wasn't wanting for more drive at any time.
My feelings exactly. The traction wasn't quite there, and it def takes some getting used too. All the speed and width, combined with not surfing a quad in a long time had me kooking. Went back and watched how Ben Gravey surfed his, and its just a different style. A little tighter turns than the wraps i'm used too, when doing wraps, too ease off a little and let the board do the work as opposed to digging in (let the fat ease around), and YES more speed and more attempts at airs... after a little adjustment period, I was flying and doing more vertical, fins free, reverse type of surfing... Still working on actually coming close to an air haha

Reactions: ChaseTMP

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Took me a couple sessions to get used to the speed and the slide, but once you anticipate that it feels amazing. You'll use it to your advantage. Also don't be hesitant to turn it in the most critical part of the wave, you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Also, back paddle everybody! That's part of the joy of the Fling.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
You guys have made me really want a Fling. Good marketing. Might sell my other grovelers to finance one. Do they ever do sales? Specifically on superflex.

Reactions: chilly1