You were frequently flaring on you're fljngy

One day you even vectored on the malolo

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
The melody of that song Lunatic Fringe comes into my head whenever I hear Superbrand Fling.
(Chords in parenthesis for those who want to try it out)

SuperBrand Fling! (in D)

I know that you're out there. (in Bm)

Thinking about which fins. (D)

Is it quad or is it a thruster? (BM)

Talk with Greg Griffin (A)

And ride it with the G10's (Bm)

Or maybe talk to the erBB (A)

And change it to a bonzer (BM)

Whoa oh oh oh, Whoa oh oh oh (BM)

SuperBrand Fling!

(APPLAUSE BREAK)

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I'm trying to track down a good used one. I thought I'd be fine with a 5'5 at 30.5L since I usually ride shortboards in the 28L range, but I saw a video that Brett Barley rides his 3.5L more which would put me on a 5'6 at 32L following his logic.

Yesterday I drove up from Redondo to Ventura to grab a 5'5 poly for what seemed like a good price ($260) and the person wouldn't answer the door or phone. He or she finally texted last night that they sold it the night before (despite texts at 8:30 pm confirming my early pick up time). They probably needed money for meth and couldn't wait. Luckily I had my NB2 in the car and got some really fun waves with about 12 people, half of those being the bigger names from the area.

The slight debacle got me really thinking about if I should be looking for a 5'6 and try to wait for a Superflex. How is everyone liking their volume compared to their HPSB's? A 2 9/16" thick board really makes me leery since I've usually don't like boards over 2 3/8" since they ride too on top of the water, but I guess that might be what I'd want in the Fling. I'm 6' 170lbs and would normally say advanced ability, although I know for sure I wasn't standing out in yesterday's company.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I'm trying to track down a good used one. I thought I'd be fine with a 5'5 at 30.5L since I usually ride shortboards in the 28L range, but I saw a video that Brett Barley rides his 3.5L more which would put me on a 5'6 at 32L following his logic.

Yesterday I drove up from Redondo to Ventura to grab a 5'5 poly for what seemed like a good price ($260) and the person wouldn't answer the door or phone. He or she finally texted last night that they sold it the night before (despite texts at 8:30 pm confirming my early pick up time). They probably needed money for meth and couldn't wait. Luckily I had my NB2 in the car and got some really fun waves with about 12 people, half of those being the bigger names from the area.

The slight debacle got me really thinking about if I should be looking for a 5'6 and try to wait for a Superflex. How is everyone liking their volume compared to their HPSB's? A 2 9/16" thick board really makes me leery since I've usually don't like boards over 2 3/8" since they ride too on top of the water, but I guess that might be what I'd want in the Fling. I'm 6' 170lbs and would normally say advanced ability, although I know for sure I wasn't standing out in yesterday's company.
Mine's a custom 5'8 Superflex. I think I just went a little narrower and 2 1/2" instead of 2 5/8 or whatever the stock thickness is. Pretty close to my standard liters. 32.5 or so. I'm about 180-185. The rails are pretty thin compared to my Puddle Jumper which is also 2 1/2". I think the 5'8 stock dims would have been just fine for me but like you I was leery of too much thickness since I'd never felt one up in person and grovelers can sometimes be so chunky. Overall I'm happy with the size. More foam would paddle better but there's always that little trade off in performance. I think at your size you will be happy with either the 5-5 or 5-6. Hopefully you can find another good deal or at least find one to check out in person to give you an idea of how they are foiled.

Reactions: Havoc and ChaseTMP

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I'm 6'1 and 185 and stock 5'6 Superflex feels good for me, maybe a very tiny bit too big. The rails are nice for the stock 2 5/8" thickness. If I custom ordered an all arounder I'd probably go 5'5 x 20" x 2 5/8" with the ideal being small to medium waves.

I'd say 5'5 stock for you would be good as a low range groveler. 5'6 would be too much.

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002

I’m about the same size/ability etc. Occasionally 5 lbs heavier. Have the 5’6” stock superflex. One caveat- I surf in full NE winter gear at least 6 months out of the year. So I tend to err on a little more volume than less. But I think it feels really good. I could go a little smaller but don’t really see a need or reason. Board is insanely fun.

Mat6920

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 10, 2017
I m 185 and 6 1 , i have the 5 8 superflex 34.5L. My shortboards are 32.5L. For me it s perfect ! More volume to balance the fact that more body is in the water vs 6'0 daily driver (more drag). It catches anything, speed is insane, i reckon that on this kind of board you need to go epoxy ! with thinner rails i guess the board would be more bitey but i have a ball on this one. I had some epic fun session on it. If the waves are fat is a skateboard

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I'm 5'10 x 160 and had a 5'5 x 20 1/8 x 2 1/2 swallow tail and found it too big. It's already pretty flat which puts a lot of the board in the water and the thicker rails made it feel like a little too much.

If I were to do it again I'd get the stock 5'4 or a custom 5'4 and take bit off the thickness. I think the older stock 5'4's used to be 2 7/16 thick, the newer ones are 2 1/2. I think you can get away going thinner since you have so much width.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I grabbed a like new 5’6” Superflex this am. It feels definitely chunkier than I would normally ride, but for what I want out of it (getting me out, when I’d usually pass) it feels like it’ll be fun on the sub waist high days where I think my NB2 would struggle.

Mar 27, 2019
Somewhere
Can anyone comment on this board in PU? I'm looking at a pretty good deal on a PU in my size.
Also...
Curious if anyone has first hand with this shape compared to the JS Flaming Pony?

Edit: I'll be the guinea pig and test them both, The Gay Pony vs the Fling, for anyone interested. Are they targeting a specific group of people with these board names? Mail man should be bringing them both to my doorstep soon. Confirmed S Glass on mine btw.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Aruka and retodd

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
My local is opening tomorrow so most likely will take the Fling out on its maiden voyage (with me at least). Lots of different opinions on quad vs. tri. Are Fling'ers running the same size fins as their HPSB's. I usually ride large fins (in FCSII I have: AM Aircore and FT, KA, MF in PC) and only have one set of medium quad rears, the older PC Carbon ones with the purple base. I haven't surfed a quad in quite a while, but may give it a go that way first since tomorrow will have been 12 days since I've surfed last, plus, I've only surfed twice since my local closed 3/27, so I'm not conditioned to any particular board/fin set up right now. I'm 6' and 168 lbs, surprisingly 10 pounds lighter than usual despite daily intake of 2-3 IPA's. Pre CV-19 I was going to the gym at least five days a week, but now do a long walk (8 miles) three days a week at approximately 4 miles per hour from Redondo Pier area to PV Cove which has some occasional incline as you pass Torrance beach.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I run AM fronts with medium performer rears (I think they are Large Merrick rears?). That's my go to, but last two sessions I borrowed my brother-in-laws split keels from FCS that feel really fun. I always like the loose truck feeling on grovelers so maybe that's why I'm the only one saying quads on the fling.

I rode my fling the past two sessions in mediocre waves and while I had a blast on it, I realized the stock superflex 5'6 is oversized for me at 6'1 185. It's great as a groveler but now I want to try a 5'5 or a 5'4. Can't order one right now though.

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Teach me your ways.
Have a 13 year old in a 1200 ft² condo that hasn't seen her friends in person for two months with both parents working from home with all three of us simultaneously having Zoom meetings most days. Add to that a whiny-ass Malti-poo; the pounds just melt away!

Reactions: MathDebater

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I run AM fronts with medium performer rears (I think they are Large Merrick rears?). That's my go to, but last two sessions I borrowed my brother-in-laws split keels from FCS that feel really fun. I always like the loose truck feeling on grovelers so maybe that's why I'm the only one saying quads on the fling.

I rode my fling the past two sessions in mediocre waves and while I had a blast on it, I realized the stock superflex 5'6 is oversized for me at 6'1 185. It's great as a groveler but now I want to try a 5'5 or a 5'4. Can't order one right now though.
Thanks for the fin recommendation. Yeah, I'm expecting my 5'6" to be pretty corky, but it'll be for local dribble that I've been passing on for the last few years. I'm sure if I was in HI where there's more power, I'd want to be on a 5'4. My 5'6 Superflex is 2 9/16" and I think there were some that were 2 5/8" which really doesn't matter, but mine feels pretty good under the arm. I also weighed in that it'll be easier for my daughter to ride than a lower volume board since she's just figuring out angling on the Wavestorm.

It's pretty funny though, as soon as she's up on the Wavestorm she's trying to pump down the line, which there is no way she can on that behemoth at only 80 pounds. She has been riding my Carver skateboard quite a bit which I think will help her transition onto the Fling.

Reactions: MathDebater