Super high tide this morning of 6.9' in Norcal

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Wish we had more swell for those special spots that love a really high tide.

Been such a slow start to Fall this year. Lot of clean days, but not a lot of big days. Those really special spots that take a really good swell have yet to turn on.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Local spots have been loving it early; today was a bit tiny and just so beat from surfing constantly.

Negative low has been useful as well.
We have some protected spots here that require more 'oomph' to get cranking. They lay dormant for most of the year, but when those special days finally arrive, it's heaven. In the meantime, we have less protected spots which offer plenty :D

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
We have some protected spots here that require more 'oomph' to get cranking. They lay dormant for most of the year, but when those special days finally arrive, it's heaven. In the meantime, we have less protected spots which offer plenty :D
The Mrs. and I hit it yesterday as the tide started to drop. It was small so I brought my displacement hull thinking I'd just cruise. Unfortunately, the only spot breaking with any decent waves were the beach breaks. It was shoulder high and pitching off a sand bar. Hulls aren't ideal for these conditions but I still managed to catch a few, fun, lefts. :waving:

Reactions: ~rwright~

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA

Been such a slow start to Fall this year. Lot of clean days, but not a lot of big days. Those really special spots that take a really good swell have yet to turn on.
Was pretty fun yesterday as the tide started to drop. Like a 9' swing.

Peter1

Nep status
Jul 29, 2005
6.9 feet? That's nothing. We get 6.9 METER tides around Normandy/Brittany, and even Bay of Biscay sees regular tides in the 3-4 meter range in spring. It's amazing how, say, a bar at Hossegor will turn on for an hour or two on either side of the tide, then back to lake flat.

The Normandy tides are so big that you can literally see the water going out and in...tides around St. Malo are 12 meters regularly...

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
6.9 feet? That's nothing. We get 6.9 METER tides around Normandy/Brittany, and even Bay of Biscay sees regular tides in the 3-4 meter range in spring. It's amazing how, say, a bar at Hossegor will turn on for an hour or two on either side of the tide, then back to lake flat.

The Normandy tides are so big that you can literally see the water going out and in...tides around St. Malo are 12 meters regularly...
Yes I know but for us, that's a lot.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
There are stretches of New England that have those crazy 20-30 foot tide swings. When the tide moves, looks like another coastline in an hour or two. Ours are pretty modest at 4 to 6 foot swings, but still affect wave behavior significantly

• Wow
Reactions: r32

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I surfed a spot pretty north in New England awhile back. I pulled up after driving all night and the sun just starting to come up. It was a reeling right hand outer bar. I had to scurry along the rocks against a cliff to get to a good paddle out point, dodging some waves crashing against the cliff. Surfed for about 3 hours all alone. When I came in I full on dry docked myself as the tide dropped so much there was now a football field length of beach that tricked my exhausted mind into thinking it was just glassy water on the inside. :roflmao:

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal

Runoff.... Mid winter in a lull between storms this would be Golden...

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
NorCenCal. I Imagine Ocean Beach is better on the high tides. All the beaches in Monterey Bay benefit on the high tides.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
No, OB not so favorable towards high tides with the exception of some select conditions where the size is right to hit the inner bars in a fun way.

That video is pretty sad. OBSF surfing capability has hit an all-time low. The last couple of days have been fantastic though. Especially this afternoon! Damn.

Reactions: Mr Doof

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
High tide is the sux.

Still, I caught mid day surf yesterday with a mostly mellow group of grey haired ladies on shortboards, bearded or bald guys on longboards, and a couple local ripper guys. Sets were slow, but I had a blast on my flying manta

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
No, OB not so favorable towards high tides with the exception of some select conditions where the size is right to hit the inner bars in a fun way.

That video is pretty sad. OBSF surfing capability has hit an all-time low. The last couple of days have been fantastic though. Especially this afternoon! Damn.
Haha, maybe true. Has so-cal seen an abrupt, precipitous decline. This year and last year is like night and day.