Super high tide this morning of 6.9' in Norcal

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Surfed smallish but super clean OB last month.

It was the most people I have ever seen at that beach on a regular day. And most guys I've seen in the water. And most water craft. I saw SUPs, bodyboarders, longboarders, guys riding fishes, rippers, rental boards, couple of surf kayaks, and two guys on super funky looking bodyboard-type things that looked 6" thick called 'river boards' and they had grab handles and helmets on. It was a total kook fest I've never experienced in all my years of surfing OBSF. :D

Reactions: YeahNo and Mr Doof

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
Surfed smallish but super clean OB last month.

It was the most people I have ever seen at that beach on a regular day. And most guys I've seen in the water. And most water craft. I saw SUPs, bodyboarders, longboarders, guys riding fishes, rippers, rental boards, couple of surf kayaks, and two guys on super funky looking bodyboard-type things that looked 6" thick called 'river boards' and they had grab handles and helmets on. It was a total kook fest I've never experienced in all my years of surfing OBSF. :D
I feel like this is everywhere, this year.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Plenty of duck diving required so in general crowds have not been that bad. I have had a couple people up the street mention they see me out there all the time and introduce themselves.

But I got the living excrement 000'd out of me on the Eta swell.
It kind of passed at the optimum time. The wind basically turned headed into the bottom of the tide, which was ideal, and it all happened right around lunchtime on a weekday. Perfect. I walk from my shitbox down to the Pier, because the current was ripping North. Not a soul. Nobody on the beach, nobody surfing from the Pier to Neptune Beach, at least. I'm out for about 15 minutes, and four other people paddle out. After a couple waves, I think two of them get caught inside and asswhooped. The other two, I found myself repeatedly bracketed. Nobody out, storm-cleaning wedges and bowls lurching in all kinds of random spots. I tried going up-current, I tried going down-current, no luck. Repeatedly I've got one of these clowns on each side of me within about 40 feet. I can't see anyone else out. And the positioning is like a WQS contest with the other competitors on one sponsor's team vs me. Bracketed.

I finally waited until the one up-current looked at a right (the down-current direction) and as soon as his focus was off me I started to paddle up-current, and the instant the wave was between us I launched into a sprint paddle for a few blocks, and that did the trick.

But fucking why. Hellacious current, kind of a fair bit of duck diving, literally mid-tropical storm with waves EVERYWHERE and three people out on a stretch from the Pier well into Neptune Beach (over a mile), and I'm fkcng repeatedly sitting there with the only other two people out clustered tight on either fckng side of me.

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
OBSF surfing capability has hit an all-time low.
Not sure if I agree with that. Big peaks with no shoulders, going straight down the line, and pulling out without cutting back or hitting close-out sections seems like the MO most of the time IMHO. Maybe worse this year though, but not all that different.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
I can confirm it for my area too.
I now consider it normal though. It seems like the start of every winter has more noobs and more strange surfcraft.

By Feb and especially March, there's way less
Yeah, I feel like SLO county just got "found out" by the entire state. Oh well. Been surfing most every day and scoring.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
Yeah, I feel like SLO county just got "found out" by the entire state. Oh well. Been surfing most every day and scoring.
be thankful youre still not a quick couple hour drive from massive population kookery

Reactions: rice

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Having our beaches open when other counties closed theirs certainly didn't help. Gotta love that valley money. Plus remote work/learning takes care of the distance from employment part that has traditionally kept people at bay.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
Having our beaches open when other counties closed theirs certainly didn't help. Gotta love that valley money. Plus remote work/learning takes care of the distance from employment part that has traditionally kept people at bay.
Plus every single Poly student bought a Wavestorm and started surfing this summer and have tons of free time with classes online. New world, for sure. At least it's mostly confined to a few spots.

• Sad
Reactions: grapedrink

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
Props to this guy out and catching waves at a spot south of Campbell River, on the east side of Vancouver Island. Storm surf from an abating South-easter and high tides can give rideable if not classic surf. Bet this guy wishes he'd waited for one more wave though. LOL

CRStormSurfNovember20.jpg