Super Buzz. Review

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
A friend gave me an old 5'7 Super Buzz. It's about 20.5" wide and 2.5" EPS Tech with some sort of early version of a skate deck (very subtle). He saw I took a loss on my custom MrBuzz and felt bad. So he gave it to me for free, he got it for free from a friend moving from Hawaii. It's beefy but it is so fun. Such a turd wave killer. It's probably 35 liters. I paddle circles around people I don't like and catch every wave within a 20 foot radius. So fun. It's og FCS so I'm using Simon large quads.

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
Is 5'5"x19.75x2.1 VOl.28.5. kinda weird because my old 5'4x19.5x2.5 was supposed to be 28.5 also. Maybe it was more like 27, but this one def. feels like it has more foam. I guess it's that sk8 deck.
The deck on this one reminds me of stretch's fish, minus the beak. I used my quad fish to size this one, and i did mentioned how much i liked it. So I basically tried to base this board off of my quad fish , not off my old superbuzz.

racer you must be going fast as hell. much downside to having that much more volume? i remember you saying you prefer it as a thruster, right.

i really like my quad fish (more than the old superbuzz), but I know i have my limits when is a little steeper. For example, the other day was kinda wedgy, thumping in the shore break, very fun, don't get me wrong. But I couldn't whip that board around fast enough and, i dunno i just felt like a similar, but more performance shape would have been really fun as well. So that's my intention with this one.

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Is 5'5"x19.75x2.1 VOl.28.5. kinda weird because my old 5'4x19.5x2.5 was supposed to be 28.5 also. Maybe it was more like 27, but this one def. feels like it has more foam. I guess it's that sk8 deck.
The deck on this one reminds me of stretch's fish, minus the beak. I used my quad fish to size this one, and i did mentioned how much i liked it. So I basically tried to base this board off of my quad fish if that not off my superbuzz.

did u try your new super racer? you must be going fast as hell. much downside to having that much more volume? i remember you saying you prefer it as a thruster, right.

i really like my quad fish (more than the old superbuzz), but I know i have my limits when is a little steeper. For example, the other day was kinda wedgy, thumping in the shore break, very fun, don't get me wrong. But I couldn't whip that board around fast enough and, i dunno i just felt like a similar, but more performance shape would have been really fun as well. So that's my intention with this one.
I sold my quad fish to my best friend and he rides that thing a ton but he definitely pushes the limits when it's bigger. He wants something with similar feel but a little narrower tail for some tighter shreds. Super Buzz is probably the call I reckon if his cheap azz can swing it.

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
I sold my quad fish to my best friend and he rides that thing a ton but he definitely pushes the limits when it's bigger. He wants something with similar feel but a little narrower tail for some tighter shreds. Super Buzz is probably the call I reckon if his cheap azz can swing it.
the guy i sold my 2nd superbuzz to, got a quadfish and he doesn’t ride the superbuzz anymore. And he begged me to sell it to him. That one was very nice @5’5.
BFE0CE5A-AA47-49D6-B46B-6363533F3F85.jpeg025AB9D1-B928-4FBD-AB61-03FD27EC71B4.jpeg

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
the guy i sold my 2nd superbuzz to, got a quadfish and he doesn’t ride the superbuzz anymore. And he begged me to sell it to him. That one was very nice @5’5.
View attachment 94027View attachment 94028
So do you reckon the quadfish and superbuzz have similar range, just a different feel? Quadfish definitely handles good size but it starts track and does't want to stay in the pocket quite as well once the waves get a bit bigger like a solid head high+. I have yet to see a Superbuzz in person.

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
In my experience, quadfish is a performance fish more so than other brands quadfishes. Superbuzz has a more refined foil and i think it can handle a lot of juice. Especially the tail area is thicker on the quadfish.

They also have different rockers. AND then theres the buzz concaves...pffiiuu
Yes the super is more a performance board that i’d love to be able to surf to its limits.

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
I forgot to add. I’m almost 40. I just surf a beachbreak that seldom gets any good. Is soft and mushy most of the time. I have my moments once in a while and i’d like to have one of those in the superbuzz. But you cant beat the quadfish for the conditions i get most of the time.

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I forgot to add. I’m almost 40. I just surf a beachbreak that seldom gets any good. Is soft and mushy most of the time. I have my moments once in a while and i’d like to have one of those in the superbuzz. But you cant beat the quadfish for the conditions i get most of the time.
cheers bud. I think the quadfish is very versatile especially for waves on the softer side. I didn't fully click with mine but my buddy who bought it off me rides it all the time and is rarely disappointed.

Reactions: paunch23

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
In my experience, quadfish is a performance fish more so than other brands quadfishes. Superbuzz has a more refined foil and i think it can handle a lot of juice. Especially the tail area is thicker on the quadfish.

They also have different rockers. AND then theres the buzz concaves...pffiiuu
Yes the super is more a performance board that i’d love to be able to surf to its limits.
Gbuzz grovels and even surfs good up to head high if ya don't like fishy shapes.

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
IMO super buzz has WAY less range than quadfish in terms of wave types and sizes, despite looking relatively similar

i had a super buzz (since sold) and have a 2win fish that's magic. super buzz was RAD in waves with curve but didn't grovel/like flat waves and also didn't have much upper range. i feel like it occupies the same place in the quiver as a shortboard just with totally different look/feel. was also kinda finicky to surf -- I did a couple turns that felt really good on that board and a lot of ones that were weird

quadfish is way easier to surf and works in a wider variety of wave types

if i lived somewhere with good surf (like hawaii) i would definitely get a super buzz or mr buzz again

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
IMO super buzz has WAY less range than quadfish in terms of wave types and sizes, despite looking relatively similar

i had a super buzz (since sold) and have a 2win fish that's magic. super buzz was RAD in waves with curve but didn't grovel/like flat waves and also didn't have much upper range. i feel like it occupies the same place in the quiver as a shortboard just with totally different look/feel. was also kinda finicky to surf -- I did a couple turns that felt really good on that board and a lot of ones that were weird

if i lived somewhere with good surf (like hawaii) i would definitely get a super buzz or mr buzz again
Agree with superbuzz review 100% takes time getting use to loves good waves.

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
If you are looking for something similar to superbuzz but more grovely, then the fatbat is a good option. It's not listed on the website. It's basically a Mr.Buzz with no tail rocker. Differs from g-buzz and quadfish in that it's single to double concave. I got mine oversized with an extra 4L for groveling and long paddles, but length wise it's the same as my super buzz. It feels super fast probably because no tail rocker. Here an early prototype pic. http://instagr.am/p/BUzSKsOAhi-/

hugh shackman

OTF status
Mar 3, 2017
how are you guys who've gotten multiple sb's sizing this thing lately? thinking of ordering one...

5'6 x 20 x 2.15 (~30.5L)
or
5'7 x 20.25 x 2.2 (~31.5L)
both stock dims

i'm 6'2, 170 lbs... maybe 175 lbs the day after thanksgiving... daily board for anything over thigh high is 30L. I'd want this for 3ft+ good waves, i have the grovel range covered

wondering if there are differences or tradeoffs youve found in your experience... definitely leaning towards the 5'6 but if a little added volume doesnt seem to affect performance much i'd go 5'7

thanks

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I was looking at those two stock ones on the website, I'm 6'1 185 and would do the 5'6. While I don't think the 5'7 would be a boat or be too bulky, the extra liter doesn't seem necessary.

hugh shackman

OTF status
Mar 3, 2017
I was looking at those two stock ones on the website, I'm 6'1 185 and would do the 5'6. While I don't think the 5'7 would be a boat or be too bulky, the extra liter doesn't seem necessary.
Thanks for the input, that's what I was thinking... I was considering going custom and ordering even smaller, but I don't live in Hawaii so for CA waves I doubt I'd need/want to go smaller than the 5'6. May be time to finally suck it up and spend $900 to try out a stretch. I'll blame quarantine

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD

Adding to the agreement with this. I can't seem to let go of mine still, though. Kinda magic in the right waves...

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
Paunch just bumped this, and it made me think... Anyone in socal ride a SB regularly?

I still think about mine (sold it a couple years ago) :cry: