Sunset Guns

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
Moving to the NS soon and looking for a sunset board to push beyond what I'm comfortable with on my 6'8". Any recommendations?
What are mortals riding out there when Billy Kemper and Koa Rothman are out there on 6'6"s?

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
I was out there on a double overhead day having a fine time on a 7'2" or 7'4". Nathan Fletcher paddled up on a brand new Owl Chapman gun in the 10' range. He was leashless. Tamayo Perry was a few feet away on a shortboard and telling some kid never to go wider than 19". There was a Brazzo on a 7' SUP, tons of older guys on 8'ish guns, and an eight year old that burned me on his little 5'2" or whatever and pulled right into the pocket.

Moral of the story, I think you can ride a variety of boards out there and you're gonna eventually get pounded on any of them. But don't take my word for it, I've been out there exactly three times.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
getting schooled at Sunset is part of the (our) learning curve.

these three things work - conditioning, equipment, and talent.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
If I was hunting for waves at Sunset in todays crowds I would go to bezt: BK, Rawson, or Owl...etc

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
On your first paddle out you will want a 9' Gun - Sooo much energy
I used to consider 7'4 - 7'6" entry level for Sunset.

I just sold an 8'2" Sunset board Aipa shaped in the 90's. It was 19 1/2" inches wide. lol.

Surfing little waves at the point and thinking you have surfed Sunset is kind of like guys who surf pinballs and claim they surfed "The Bay."

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
Moving to the NS soon and looking for a sunset board to push beyond what I'm comfortable with on my 6'8". Any recommendations?
What are mortals riding out there when Billy Kemper and Koa Rothman are out there on 6'6"s?
If you are really intent on pushing it at Sunset on big winter swells and you are not familiar with the wave, don't go less than 8'0" and go thick. You will be in survival mode for the first several surfs, just trying to get from the peak to the channel. No shame in that. It's pretty heavy. Koa and Billy and the locals from the neighborhood at the point have gone from Shores to Vals to the point to full on Sunset since they could swim and walk. Don't compare yourself to them. Ross Clarke-Jones RIPS Sunset, pretty much rides his 10'0" Bushman gun from 1' to closing out and just kills it.

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
If you are really intent on pushing it at Sunset on big winter swells and you are not familiar with the wave, don't go less than 8'0" and go thick. You will be in survival mode for the first several surfs, just trying to get from the peak to the channel. No shame in that. It's pretty heavy. Koa and Billy and the locals from the neighborhood at the point have gone from Shores to Vals to the point to full on Sunset since they could swim and walk. Don't compare yourself to them. Ross Clarke-Jones RIPS Sunset, pretty much rides his 10'0" Bushman gun from 1' to closing out and just kills it.
I surfed it a handful of times on a trip two years ago, but never when it was huge. Took out a 6'10" that Jacob Campbell made me and definitely felt under-gunned for the proper sets that came through. I'm not going to pretend to understand Hawaiian measurements, but they were what I'd call well overhead to DOH. At some point on my first go-out I didn't pay attention to what the current was doing and got properly caught inside.

It was weird because there were definitely kids out on regular shortboards inside, but the good waves were all being caught by older guys on guns.

Sounds like I'll be going for something in the 8'6" - 9'0" range and adjust down from there if I feel comfortable enough to.

Reactions: rowjimmytour