Summer Surf Trips

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Booked Nicaragua for 20days in July. Flying into Liberia and crossing over.

Buddy of mine just broke up with his fiancée and he has a an all expenses paid zero refunds 10 day honeymoon trip to Kauai in August and he's taking me for free! Never been to the islands before and super stocked!

He has the last 7 days booked at a resort somewhere on the south coast near the airport but we need somewhere to stay 8/15-19th in the Hanalei Bay/ Princeville area. My buddy has friends in the area but they're loaded full with kids and full time jobs. Any erBB'ers have any insights?
Just camp on the beach somewhere?

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Booked Nicaragua for 20days in July. Flying into Liberia and crossing over.
We're finally booked as well for 7 nights in Popoyo, also flying to Liberia and crossing over. Decided to opt against the all-inclusive camp in favor of a more a la carte trip but hopefully I'll be able to book a boat to go to some spots out of town. Perhaps I'll pick your brain when you get back. Are you staying in southern Nica the whole time or working your way up the coast?

Reactions: Dekerwild

Dekerwild

OTF status
Jul 28, 2017
We're finally booked as well for 7 nights in Popoyo, also flying to Liberia and crossing over. Decided to opt against the all-inclusive camp in favor of a more a la carte trip but hopefully I'll be able to book a boat to go to some spots out of town. Perhaps I'll pick your brain when you get back. Are you staying in southern Nica the whole time or working your way up the coast?
Staying in southern region. Plenty of spots to entertain. Staying at a surf camp. One friend stays for 8 days, he leaves and another friend + his son come in for 8 and then I’m there solo for 3. Tried the do it yourself route and that ship has sail once I did the math and it’s about $20 more per day to pay for the guided tour and have zero hassles with car rentals, minor theft, where to eat, rent a boat, and airport transfers. When I travel I’m usually the one doing all the driving, planning, and motivating. It’s actually refreshing to let go of control and let someone else do the driving.

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
It’s actually refreshing to let go of control and let someone else do the driving.
Oh I'm with you 1000%. I also did the math and realized the camps were a decent trade off especially considering all the logistics involved. Difference for me is I'll have a non-surfer with me and they charge a lot for what she'd be getting out of it. She was open to it but we opted for a place on the beach with good spots walking distance as a compromise. Seems like the people that run the B+B can connect us to boat tours etc.

Have fun!! I'm stocked haven't been able to do a real trip since before covid times.