Summer Surf Trips

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Spend medium money on a nice boutique hotel or villa near grande or tamarindo. I haven’t been in that part of the country in several years so I’m not current on best hotels in the zone. But I’m sure there are plenty of small charming well appointed boutique getaways that won’t break the bank
Try to find a place in the woods so you can watch the howlers meander around the canopy

Reactions: ehiunno

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
Costa question from anyone with relatively recent Nosara/ Southern Guanacaste region experience. Went in the mid 90's some roads not passable during rainy season. Better now? Much the same?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
The stretch between santa Teresa and Samara can still be hairy in rainy season. To my knowledge they have neither paved or bridged the various river crossings in between the two regions. It’s pretty easy to take the paved road inland, then cut back to ST/MP

that drive is super fun in the dry season. Driving through the rivers on the gravel fords, winding in and out of coastal ranch land. Like going back 120 years

Reactions: need 4 speed

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
:shaka: Trying to see if I can make a mid summer family trip happen. Was kind of trying to stay away from Tamarindo
but my memory of $#itty roads is burned in(nearly got stuck trying to get to Avellanas) Still some consideration to HI but not a fan of the crowds. Want semi easy with decent semi uncrowded waves. Debating if the hassles are worth the non-world class beach breaks. Maybe France early Sept would be better

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah there are other accessible places and resorts in the area. You don’t have to set foot in tamarindo if you don’t want to. So much to see and do in NW CR

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Yeah I think I'm with n4s, I'd probably avoid Tamarindo and head down the coast a bit. Looks like lots of good options not too far out. On the other hand, I feel like if Nica is a more of a hassle probably less people are going there so maybe I should just deal lol

What's the deal with rain? Are we talking thunderstorms all day or occasional/scattered showers?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
You’ll get your sunshine but downpours are frequent; and the occasional stretch of rainy days.

Reactions: ehiunno

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Has anyone done the border crossing from CR <-> Nica? Southern nica isn't all that much further from Liberia than Managua. One surf camp I've been in touch with told me I could take a cab from Liberia to the border for ~$90 and they could pick me up there. Any experiences with the border patrol there?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
The right driver will take care of you. Takes a couple hours but they tell you what to do. If I were you, use Yasmil. He and his team are the best and do that exact trip all the time. He’s based on the Nica side but he will arrange the CR part of the drive to the border as well.

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Funny, yes that name specifically was mentioned by the camp. Guessing I'd lose some of the time saved on the flight waiting at border patrol, but it would still probably come out a bit cheaper. Thanks :)

Reactions: Subway

Dekerwild

OTF status
Jul 28, 2017
Booked Nicaragua for 20days in July. Flying into Liberia and crossing over.

Buddy of mine just broke up with his fiancée and he has a an all expenses paid zero refunds 10 day honeymoon trip to Kauai in August and he's taking me for free! Never been to the islands before and super stocked!

He has the last 7 days booked at a resort somewhere on the south coast near the airport but we need somewhere to stay 8/15-19th in the Hanalei Bay/ Princeville area. My buddy has friends in the area but they're loaded full with kids and full time jobs. Any erBB'ers have any insights?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah there are about 40 of us that either live there or travel there as often as we possibly can. Should be able to find a rental for 4 nights, or try the hanalei bay resort, or the other two pricier joints…I always used VRBO but I don’t know how much that has changed on the islands since Covid. used to be plenty of inventory at most price points (but you will pay, make no mistake lol) one year I spent 5k on a big house for an extended family gathering for I think 12 nights. But we could also find really nice smaller condos for a couple hundred a night. But again, that was in 2019, @PPK96754 would know what the short term rental market is like

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
So funny that I consider it a surf trip but the wind and cold of spring does suck. Driving my daughter down south to visit my mom in late July and migrating around before I drive her back north. Hell, just a week of surfing in warm water and mellow waves with zero timetable whatsoever is going to be fucking awesome. May require couches to crash. Play a few rounds of golf, knock back a couple kegs worth with the boys, and hell, bag San Gorgonio and get that last one of the 6-pack of peaks will be sweetness. May be spreading myself thin and totally weather-dependent but tempted to exorcise previous failure by doing the 10-peaker around Baldy complex (i.e., not starting at Village) while down there. But lets see - lot of beef to chew on. Praying for some solid hurricane swells and not blowing out legs if those are on order.

Might have questions about Moorea in winter but let's save that for the winter surf trip thread.

Reactions: Subway

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Booked Nicaragua for 20days in July. Flying into Liberia and crossing over.

Buddy of mine just broke up with his fiancée and he has a an all expenses paid zero refunds 10 day honeymoon trip to Kauai in August and he's taking me for free! Never been to the islands before and super stocked!

He has the last 7 days booked at a resort somewhere on the south coast near the airport but we need somewhere to stay 8/15-19th in the Hanalei Bay/ Princeville area. My buddy has friends in the area but they're loaded full with kids and full time jobs. Any erBB'ers have any insights?
Hopefully there is more than 1 bed in the honeymoon suite and it's not covered in flower petals. . . . Not that there's anything wrong with that

• Haha
Reactions: tacos and Subway