Summer Surf Trips

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
That said, the clinic was very well run and it wasn’t a major hassle in the grand scheme of things. but then again so many more people are flying versus SDLY so maybe that clinic is a total mob scene now
Yes - the clinic is not bad at all .... crappy location however across town from the airport. Problem is as you well know ... it's a full day ordeal .. 2.5 hour drive to the testing site and then you have to wait til the afternoon to get the results. That's not including setting up the appointment for the test online and then going to a bank to pay for it beforehand.

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
Looks like I might be able to get a trip in to La Saladita later this month with my wife. Not a high performance wave by any means, but definitely one of, if not *THE* longest lefts in North America... Been there a few times already and it never disappoints.
Stoked!

This little clip starts about halfway through the wave.....Soooooo long.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Anyone go north for a summer surf vacation? Once I went to Cape Flattery (and area). Got some waist high stuff for a few days, but am glad hiking was part of the plan.
Montreal. Surf-related because we got rinsed by some standers on the St. Lawrence and people were surfing it. Cool-ish for late June, mid-50s water or so. But incredible bluebird 70s. Nice "hike" in Parc Mont Royal.

Been keeping an eye out for late summer action in New England or the Great White North, but nothing that's been an unrideable dud for FL with workable time/price flights for Snowbirdia.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Where are you going?

Where are your friends going?

:cheers:
Oh yeah sure must be time for a surf trip somewhere exotic with warm water and barrels, after being stuck for soooo long in the place I travel to for good surf :cursing: :cursing:

You and @gbg both can get get glitter in your cars and spend summer trying to remove it.

:nana:

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
I'm kinda looking for uncrowded longboardy/fish rights for my comeback trip.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Anyone go north for a summer surf vacation? Once I went to Cape Flattery (and area). Got some waist high stuff for a few days, but am glad hiking was part of the plan.
It depends what your interested in as far as a Summer Surf Trip. A longboard or fish might net some surfabale days with picturesque back drops and decent camping, but you could just drive a few hours north or south and do that too. Been wanting to get up to AK myself.......

Last edited:

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Anyone keen to help figure out where to go this summer? I'm a little late to the party but trying to book a trip for mid-late August if I can. I've done very little surf traveling compared to most of you so it's hard for me to even know where to start...

- Coming from NY/JFK, it's relatively easy to get to mex, most of central america and possibly even further south (peru?). Europe is easy too but I'm guessing Aug is probably the worst time of year for there?
- I'm goofy footed and mostly go left at home so I'd strongly prefer at least some lefts, I think this rules out El Sal and most of Mexico but correct me if I'm wrong. Doesn't have to be perfect, I love a quality beach break.
- I'm sh!t at getting up early so ideally it isn't blown out by 10am every day

With this in mind I had been thinking Nica, but there's so many different camps and regions (afternoon wind is maybe an issue as well). @flyinraptr you're down there right? Where should I start looking?

I'm fully open to ideas!!

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Can’t go wrong with southern Nica or NW Costa Rica. Costa Rica is a boatload easier to get to and from right now. Nica still has Byzantine and annoying Covid hassles. Costa Rica doesn’t even require a test anymore I don’t think.

get your lefts at Avellanas among other occasionally world Class spots in the area. It will be rainy in august but near constant swell from the south. Fly direct from jfk to Liberia
NW Costa Rica also has those famed near constant off shore winds like southern Nica

Last edited:
Reactions: ehiunno

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Anyone keen to help figure out where to go this summer? I'm a little late to the party but trying to book a trip for mid-late August if I can. I've done very little surf traveling compared to most of you so it's hard for me to even know where to start...

- Coming from NY/JFK, it's relatively easy to get to mex, most of central america and possibly even further south (peru?). Europe is easy too but I'm guessing Aug is probably the worst time of year for there?
- I'm goofy footed and mostly go left at home so I'd strongly prefer at least some lefts, I think this rules out El Sal and most of Mexico but correct me if I'm wrong. Doesn't have to be perfect, I love a quality beach break.
- I'm sh!t at getting up early so ideally it isn't blown out by 10am every day

With this in mind I had been thinking Nica, but there's so many different camps and regions (afternoon wind is maybe an issue as well). @flyinraptr you're down there right? Where should I start looking?

I'm fully open to ideas!!
Given that you like lefts and don't like getting up early due to the wind .... i would suggest looking at southern Nica .... From the Popoyo area south on the pacific side. August - September usually has good conditions. Plenty of lefts and the offshores blow all day long. There are options with regards to where to stay depending on your budget ... from all-inclusive Surf camps to condos, etc.

Reactions: ehiunno and Subway

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
thanks raptr and subway that is helpful :)

definitely looks easier to get to CR than Nica, can get direct vs needing a transfer and that's a good point re: covid hassles

will just be me and the wife, she doesn't surf but is about the lowest maintenance person on the planet so as long as there is a beach she can read a book on she'll be happy. probably wouldn't mind a chance to snorkel or similar as well. Not looking for nightlife, restaurants etc just trying to chill at the beach (her) and get some fun waves (me).

we're open to spluring a bit to avoid the hassle of surf transfers and meals etc. if you've had a good experience at a particular camp feel free to drop a rec here or in dms. I've got about a dozen tabs of different places open right now lol