Sumba Island Indonesia

JJJJS

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 2, 2017
Has anyone been to Sumba Island Indonesia? From perusing Google maps it appears to have some interesting-looking breaks.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Who is that randomer? That was Nihiwatu beach but there will be plenty more secret spots...
I wonder if there's a way to get a discount at that place. Rates are insane, but it looks like the ideal vacation spot.

mpequignot

OTF status
Nov 4, 2009
I've been. Go. Amazing place all around. I only surfed Occy's Left/Nihiwatu but there are definitely other waves around (people staying with us went and were surfing a right). That old show "On Surfari" showcases the place FYI but a few things in that show aren't as authentic as what I experienced. The Pasola festival I went to was literally in the middle of nowhere but the one in the show looks "put together" for tv. Also went to a village funeral (as the only westerner), etc.

There is a Rob Machado film showing the wave too. He pretends to be in the middle of nowhere but the native-looking locals that show up and find him in a tent (or whatever) were wait staff at old Nihiwatu. That being said, not many tourists around period (at least when I was there). My ex and I were more entertaining to to the village locals than the guys throwing spears at each other from horseback it seemed.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2010
Went to Tarimbang (Miller's Right) in 2011. Very remote (6 hour drive from Waingapu), not a whole lot of surfers around, basic accommodations. Wave is ~15 minute paddle out from beach, and it picks up ALOT of swell. Serious wave when there's swell, perfect square barrels with nobody around (also nobody to help if you get hurt). Playful California like pointbreak when smaller. It's a pristine beach in the middle of nowhere, if that's what you're after Sumba is a real surf adventure. If you want a surf resort where you're catered to, look elsewhere (unless you can afford to stay at Nihiwatu).

PM me for contact info of fixers I used if you're interested

Attachments