subacromial shoulder bursitis?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I've had different shoulder issues in each shoulder over the past 6 years. First shoulder was fixed by hanging from a pull up bar progressively over the course of a month and I've made hanging a part of my routine and it hasn't come back since..

Second shoulder is the side I sleep on and I always sleep on the same side. Sleeping on it is the #1 thing that gets it fired up. Once its fired up the only thing that works is to force myself to sleep on the opposite side and sleep with a bath towel rolled up and jammed into the armpit so that the weight of the arm leverages the ball of the humorous lightly out of the socket. Over the course of a few days of sleeping that way it will quiet down until the next time.

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
Do you roll your shoulders forward to alleviate pain?

Anything new can be uncomfortable. To get better discomfort is not avoidable, you just need to be vocal about when it begins to exceed the tolerable range so you can asses progress there and come up with a plan to add stress without increasing pain. You can do this with volume inside the tolerable range of motion, or by reducing range of motion but adding resistance. It's really the PT's call but you need to be part of the feedback loop.

Chronic shoulder pain can take a long time to get through and sometimes you will get frustrated as progress seems to stall for a period of time.

If PT is failing and quality of life is being affected talk to your ortho about injecting the site. They used to use a mix of lidocaine and cortisone but nowadays toradol is more widely used due to it being less damaging to soft tissue. I was dealing with a labrum tear is my shoulder a few years ago and it was like magic. I remember that first night being the best night sleep I had in months.
no theres no pain when im standing like normal but when i reach into my back pocket or arm into backpack strap thats when its very apparent. ortho was not impressed haha thought it might some sort of ac joint strain (ac joint has some tenderness) coupled with possible bicep tendonitis. said just stick with pt for now and i could start being active again as long as activities was pain free. had a surf yesterday morning. no acute pain but was pretty achey after and i started getting bummed again. was even more achey this morning when i got up. I did have somewhat of a breakthrough as it was very annoying this morning and i found a tendon or ligament that was very tender on the front of the shoulder. i rubbed it down pretty good and that helped the pain substantially. I think that means its biceps tendonitis and now i have something to go off of. I found this video too at lunch and everything she talks about seems right in line with what im dealing with.
Especially the external rotations exercises that the PT gave me, that I felt was making things worse so it makes sense now that im discovering its tendonitis. I see the physical therapist again tomorrow so now that i know that its tendonitis we have a more clear idea for rehab. it felt like we was just doing anykine shoulder exercises up until now