Stupidest Surfing Fashion Trends

bobwarren

Nep status
Feb 24, 2016
Neptune Beach FL
some longboard dorks are bringing back short shorts so they can pretend theyre in the 1960s
OK here's a reverse trend of my other trend I posted.

Longboard retro hipsters wearing short shorts and a vest when water is in the high 50's. Actually the girls are probably even worse about it with the retro bathing suit "wetsuits" that I'm sure provide zero warmth.

Reactions: Havoc

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Yeah, hoods are fairly common in SoCal nowadays. My buddy swears hood + no booties is the warmest way to go but I can’t get used to a hood. I don’t mind surfing in booties from Dec-Mar (bonus of traction for climbing in/out over slippery rocks).
I was pretty shocked to see a couple people wearing gloves in So County SD this winter. Don't recall seeing that before. They were mid-aged guys so I guess it's possible they had arthritis too.

bobwarren

Nep status
Feb 24, 2016
Neptune Beach FL
Yeah, lots of hoods and more gloves than years past. I’m hearing people saying they love their new 5/4’s! It’s similar temps to what you mentioned here in the South Bay (LA). I’ll admit my feet get a little cold if the water is below 58 and I’m surfing over two hours and my finger dexterity can be compromised (two hands to use a key, perfectly normal), but some people are starting to look like there should be snow on the beach.
These are probably the same people where I am who break out the 3/2 as soon as the water drops to 70 (up from a high of 85 all summer and fall). Now it's 57 and they have no where to go. That's why I try to trunk it with a top until I absolutely can't anymore (around 68 with air temps around the same).

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
These are probably the same people where I am who break out the 3/2 as soon as the water drops to 70 (up from a high of 85 all summer and fall). Now it's 57 and they have no where to go. That's why I try to trunk it with a top until I absolutely can't anymore (around 68 with air temps around the same).
i went from being a 3/2 year round unless trunking to:
- trunks + jacket
- 2mm short sleeve
- 2mm full
- 3mm full
- 4/3 full
- warmer 4/3 full
- 5/4 full with removable hood

never need the 5/4 in socal, that one is for trips north. never needed gloves.

I agree hood with no booties is quite refreshing but I find duck dives with a hood disorienting.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
Stupid surfing fashion trends of the future:

-surfing fanny pack
-surfing camelback
-wetsuits with removable sleeves
-wetsuits with smartphone pockets

I'm filing my patent claims now. Ideas like these don't grow on trees!
maybe removable mask too...

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Stupid surfing fashion trends of the future:

-surfing fanny pack
-surfing camelback
-wetsuits with removable sleeves
-wetsuits with smartphone pockets

I'm filing my patent claims now. Ideas like these don't grow on trees!
i think it was rip curl that made a removable sleeve suit in the 80s. Anyway, found these online...
FF34D0A8-18F2-4E49-BB24-141FBEE5E742.jpeg771DE3F4-DD53-4763-9510-879824CA33C6.jpeg

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Saw a long boarder out in trunks last week. It was a lunch session but it was cold, breezy, and overcast. Not sure how he was doing it. And more importantly, not sure why.
They was probably a hipster cock, but my stance is this;

I advocate forcible sterilization for any surfer that wears more than the minimum rubber required to stop shut down of the central nervous system +10% maximum. Wim Hof biches

What_it_Do_Baybeeee

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 28, 2010
CA
Yeah, hoods are fairly common in SoCal nowadays. My buddy swears hood + no booties is the warmest way to go but I can’t get used to a hood. I don’t mind surfing in booties from Dec-Mar (bonus of traction for climbing in/out over slippery rocks).
I was pretty shocked to see a couple people wearing gloves in So County SD this winter. Don't recall seeing that before. They were mid-aged guys so I guess it's possible they had arthritis too.
It is strange seeing that trend. I used to never see folks wearing hoods.

Unless it howling offshore cold Santa Ana winds, I really don't see the need for the hood. I do wear booties thought.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
used to think the same but I dawn patrol and wear a hood now for at least the first part of the session. Rarely wear booties though.

It's funny to think that people wear booties in 56-59 degree water but laugh at folks that wear a hood when the air is in the mid 40's with an offshore wind. Lol

And don't get me wrong, I used to be one of them.

Reactions: MathDebater