Stupidest Surfing Fashion Trends

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
If we're gonna bring booze, then I'll just bring mezcal jello shots.
Yes. You need bang for the buck. And no shaking of carbonation.

You could paddle out at Newbreak with a neon pink board, 3 leashes, burn Irate Nate 7 times, and be everyone's hero when you busted those out.

Not Lunada though. I bet they puke at the thought of anything stronger than White Claw.

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
[QUOTE="Kento, post: 3287379, member:
Not Lunada though. I bet they puke at the thought of anything stronger than White Claw.
[/QUOTE]

maybe true of the current crew, but back in the day there was some serious consumption going down on the hill

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
[QUOTE="Kento, post: 3287379, member:
maybe true of the current crew, but back in the day there was some serious consumption going down on the hill
[/QUOTE]

I'd go along with that.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Come to think of it, didn't someone in one of the Runman vids paddle out to Malibu with a keg on top of his longboard?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
i think the fashion trend of packs of 5-6+ tech bros on the shittiest pop-outs packing up every decent peak from marin to imperial is getting pretting fking played out.
Hasn't El Porto been a shitshow for the last several decades, though? I mean, this sounds like complaining about dogs peeing on fire hydrants.

Does the water still taste greasy, like diesel?

Reactions: MathDebater

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Hasn't El Porto been a shitshow for the last several decades, though? I mean, this sounds like complaining about dogs peeing on fire hydrants.

Does the water still taste greasy, like diesel?
Its always been crowded af there but now its a whole different thing, and the barneys have basically taken over. not in the lot or area by 6:30, good luck parking w/o a wait.

Ive only been surfing there for about 15 years or so and ive never seen it anything like this Luckily its winter and things seem to be going back to normalish with the cold mornings and slightly better swells. When its on at Porto is when its the least crowded..go figure.

Reactions: sdsrfr

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Its always been crowded af there but now its a whole different thing, and the barneys have basically taken over. not in the lot or area by 6:30, good luck parking w/o a wait.

Ive only been surfing there for about 15 years or so and ive never seen it anything like this Luckily its winter and things seem to be going back to normalish with the cold mornings and slightly better swells. When its on at Porto is when its the least crowded..go figure.
Lining up to wait for parking there just seems crazy. I used to surf there now and then out of proximity/convenience but it's been at least 10 years since I surfed there last and that was a pretty fun day with Ocean74454235345 and surfdad, pouring rain and offshore winds, good conditions otherwise and not all that crowded. But yeah, usually way more crowded than I would prefer.

And I have always hated the concept of parking meters for surfing. Sacrilege. I want to surf until I am damned well satisfied (whether it's one hour or four), not based on whether I might get a parking ticket. Although I suppose it's not all that difficult at Porto to park in a nearby neighborhood and walk 10-15 minutes.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
In the era of the Covid Kooks it is :bricks:
So technically you could park 30 minutes before first light, suit up, walk down, paddle out, and be catching waves before the masses are even in the parking lot? And if the lot doesn't open until a certain time, you could actually be in the water for a while before everyone else, while the sun has risen and people are still waiting to enter the lot?

I can see why Havoc struggles with outsmarting Covid kooks. Maybe more squats/deadlifts? :monkey:

• Haha
Reactions: 20W-50 and blood

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I think collectively we need to become more aggressive in the lineup. Maybe drop a few makeshift meth pipes in the parking lot and otherwise return ourselves to the 90s era scum we were all once assumed to be part of.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
So technically you could park 30 minutes before first light, suit up, walk down, paddle out, and be catching waves before the masses are even in the parking lot? And if the lot doesn't open until a certain time, you could actually be in the water for a while before everyone else, while the sun has risen and people are still waiting to enter the lot?

I can see why Havoc struggles with outsmarting Covid kooks. Maybe more squats/deadlifts? :monkey:
technically yes and its what i normally do.i only surf there d.p. style and usually park on the sidestreets or the rosecrans lot BUT - now the suns just barely coming out as the parking lot opens so it doesnt really make sense to do this and the rosecrans lot is even full before first light now.

now its crowded before the lot is even open where as in the past it would have only been a handfull of guys spread out up and down the beach. now probably 100 or so peeps out before its light.

as far as the meters yea sucks. I usually only surf about 2 hours so when the meters turn on at 8 im out of there unless its cooking, at that point ill pop a couple bucks in there.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
technically yes and its what i normally do.i only surf there d.p. style and usually park on the sidestreets or the rosecrans lot BUT - now the suns just barely coming out as the parking lot opens so it doesnt really make sense to do this and the rosecrans lot is even full before first light now.

now its crowded before the lot is even open where as in the past it would have only been a handfull of guys spread out up and down the beach. now probably 100 or so peeps out before its light.

as far as the meters yea sucks. I usually only surf about 2 hours so when the meters turn on at 8 im out of there unless its cooking, at that point ill pop a couple bucks in there.
Gotcha. Seems crazy for Porto.

Guessing once there's legit swell, that crowd thins out dramatically.

Reactions: sdsrfr and CutnSnip

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Gotcha. Seems crazy for Porto.

Guessing once there's legit swell, that crowd thins out dramatically.
yea not proud of how often I surf there but from central LA its the most consistent place to surf and still be able to make it to work/zoom on time.most weekends im in NOC, especially during the summer. every now and again it gts really fun though.

once theres legit swell its fricken empty.maybe 20 or so takers spread out over the beach and a handfull guys posted at hammerland. parking lot still full tho, imagine that!

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
I also love seeing people sitting next to their wavestorms on the sand looking traumatized after getting rejected on the paddle out.
ha. watched it from the top of the dune the other day. was solid 10ft duffy and super disorganized.

couple buds encouraged me to paddle with them and im like nah, its sh!t. they paddled anyway, got a few drops while i tossed the ball for the dog.

it got worse with the tide, inside and mid bar got supre gnarly. paddle out turned into a total adventure.def not worth it

so im over it and about to bail when i see my daughters boyfriend running down the beach from north lot. he doesnt see me and being the cocky prick that he is, he doesnt assess his paddle and jumps right in.

time to crack a beer and watch the show.

his attempt was pretty solid and i thought he was going to charm his way out until he got trapped on a shallow section of mid bar with a relentless 10@10. he gave it good effort but after 15 mins straight duckdiving ditching swiming and going nowhere he was toast. finally he bellied one in dejected. sat there a while staring at it before hanging his head back up the beach to his truck.

and i did what any aging, self respecting, girls father would do. i suited up and paddled straight out 100 ft south of the kids denial. got 3 waves. came in and felt pretty fuckn good.