Stupidest Surfing Fashion Trends

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Supposed to be in high 30s at beach this Saturday morning. Finally getting that inaugural sesh up here in NorCal. The 53 degree water will feel toasty by comparison to the air. Maybe. :oops:
That's an offshore February morning at Mayport in a cool-normal winter. Fashion would be (a good) 3/2, booties gloves. Hoods a minority, 4/3 a small minority. And the SUP guy in the drysuit (not kidding).

I predict median where you are will be 4/3, booties, hood. And no gloves.

I don't understand that at all. Constantly submerged, sensitive, all kinds of veins just under the skin, fingers losing heat like crazy, need to grab board to duck dive. Same thing with the 4/3 and no booties. I'd rather not feel my board than not feel my feet.

I unfashionably warm my shoulders up in the car on low tide wetsuit mornings. You should too, old man!

Reactions: MathDebater

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
That's an offshore February morning at Mayport in a cool-normal winter. Fashion would be (a good) 3/2, booties gloves. Hoods a minority, 4/3 a small minority. And the SUP guy in the drysuit (not kidding).

I don't understand that at all. Constantly submerged, sensitive, all kinds of veins just under the skin, fingers losing heat like crazy, need to grab board to duck dive. Same thing with the 4/3 and no booties. I'd rather not feel my board than not feel my feet.

I unfashionably warm my shoulders up in the car on low tide wetsuit mornings. You should too, old man!
Closest thing I have to a hood is Covid-hair; definitely need a haircut. The 70s Terry Bradshaw haircut will have to do for now but yeah, I may need to pick up a hood. Cold temps up here to be sure; WTF are these things called seasons?! I figure just getting a 4/3 on will warm up the blood at least a little.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Closest thing I have to a hood is Covid-hair; definitely need a haircut. The 70s Terry Bradshaw haircut will have to do for now but yeah, I may need to pick up a hood. Cold temps up here to be sure; WTF are these things called seasons?! I figure just getting a 4/3 on will warm up the blood at least a little.
Yeah, you're going to want that hood.

Your first session duck diving a 15 wave set without one will make you a believer real quick.

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Not that I own any, but are Uggs at the beach still laughed at? Or are they okay below a certain temp or geographic region? With pants- Tucked in or out? With shorts- tall socks or no-show socks or not at all? What's the ruling.
I'm probably going to buy a pair soon...

I've seen plenty of dudes with them in NY and NJ. My uncle down in south Jersey claims he was wearing them back in like the 70s before the girls were into it it was a Aus/NZ surfer thing. No idea if he's bullshitting but the Ugg wikipedia page seems to agree lol.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I'm probably going to buy a pair soon...

I've seen plenty of dudes with them in NY and NJ. My uncle down in south Jersey claims he was wearing them back in like the 70s before the girls were into it it was a Aus/NZ surfer thing. No idea if he's bullshitting but the Ugg wikipedia page seems to agree lol.
Here in 805 we wore them in the 80z high school before the valley and midwest girls took over the fashion. Now its thrasher zine gear and vans for pasty kids of all genders.

Reactions: ehiunno

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
It's not the working from home I don't think. It's the fact that the ocean's the only thing open. Hoping the vast majority of these people disappear when we get a vaccine.

In the meantime, I think everyone should make a point to yell at at least one person per session. Gotta make these kooks less comfortable.
I got your back.

Burned the fuck out of guy Wednesday.

1. I NEVER burn people

2. He deserved it...paddled out (2 of us in the lineup), takes pole position, goes for first wave to come through, pulls back at last second.

Takes next wave.

Paddles back to pole position, goes on next wave and I burn him. He says ’you kind of burned me on that last one’.

I said, ‘not kind of....’

Other guy in water says, ‘wait your turn...’

Today I didn’t have to do any of that but tomorrow is the weekend so opportunities abound.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

Wear a hood and your need for booties/gloves is diminished.

When it starts getting in the booty zone I’ll wear one on the back foot for a bit, maybe all winter. If I need one on the front having time in with the one makes the transition easier.

So for me right now it’s spring suit, hood, booty on back foot.

Fanny pack so I can snack in the lineup.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I am considering doing this just to see how people react. Thanks for the idea. I'll bring carrots, raisins, nuts, and kombucha.
Screw that. Fill it with a few beer cans. Probably not on a sesh that requires a lot of duckdiving, underwater thrashings though.

Reactions: MathDebater