Stupidest Surfing Fashion Trends

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
It is strange seeing that trend. I used to never see folks wearing hoods.

Unless it howling offshore cold Santa Ana winds, I really don't see the need for the hood. I do wear booties thought.
They're great at dawn on cold mornings or to use a 3/2 down to 54 degrees.

I was wearing a 2/2 short sleeve in 59 degree water until December in SD County. When the air temperatures finally started dropping, I needed a 3/2. The hood makes the early morning plunge much easier. Otherwise, I don't wear it.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I love booties, makes wax almost irrelevant.
I am converted as well for that. Almost never used to wear booties but kind of a necessity when the water is 51. Grip on board is much improved, especially in colder water. Haven't had to trip about feet sliding right forward on a late drop. This is good.

I may need to get that hood eventually. Icecream headache I got muscling my way through shorebreak on Saturday was rough. Knew it would fade but sh!t. Ear blockage is inevitable; just a matter of time before I will have to break out the Black Cats. :jamon:

Reactions: jkb

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
I noticed this starting around five years ago. It became the new version of golf for yuppie techie guys in Silicon Beach living their SoCal dream who would insta-crowd the terrible waves in Venice by paddling out five deep and then non-stop talk while bobbing on their soft-tops and overpriced hipster logs. And of course these days it's only gotten worse.

This sort of thing happened to my old local break around the same time or a little after as well.

Somewhere along the line, more and more middle-aged yuppie types started showing up and attempting to insert themselves into the lineup/social fabric of the break. It started to become a place to see and be seen for a certain group of wealthy, but mediocre surfers (washed up and jaded dudes with diminishing skills, socialite surfers armed with boutique boards, marginal skills and something to prove, other adult learner types, etc...). In particular, it seemed like a group of guys in this social scene thought they were automatically entitled to being the man out in the water and when holding court in the lot. There was always some sort of weird competition going on among them in and out of the water, which seemed to be based on their perceived status/skill level, and it only became worse when there were women around.

It was interesting, but also sucked. Either way, they renourished the break last year and the fun jetty wave is now gone for the time being.

Feb 11, 2021
I do not know why, but I began to notice people who walk in rashguard right around the city. Is this the fashion now? Since it looks a little strange to me. I understand that protection should not be neglected, but it seems that in the city there would be enough light t-shirt made of high-quality materials, since when we are in the city, we are not in the WATER and it is very hot outside. I certainly understand that there are people who sweat less, but still, it's not like the urban look. Personally, on a hot day, even in a light T-shirt, I sweat a lot if I'm in the sun and not in the shade.

Last edited:

bobwarren

Nep status
Feb 24, 2016
Neptune Beach FL
I noticed this starting around five years ago. It became the new version of golf for yuppie techie guys in Silicon Beach living their SoCal dream who would insta-crowd the terrible waves in Venice by paddling out five deep and then non-stop talk while bobbing on their soft-tops and overpriced hipster logs. And of course these days it's only gotten worse.
I don't understand people that go surfing in groups like it's some kinda team sport. The great thing about surfing is you go when you want to go, for as long or as short as you want to, and you don't have to fucking talk to anybody unless you want to.

I used to surf with some buddies but they were too picky about what spot, what tide, maybe let's wait an hour, let's check this spot. Annoying. If I happen to see people I know in the water, great, but I'm not waiting around for them or working around their schedule.

ZZ Soft Top

Nep status
Sep 22, 2013
Manta Sonica
I don't understand people that go surfing in groups like it's some kinda team sport. The great thing about surfing is you go when you want to go, for as long or as short as you want to, and you don't have to fucking talk to anybody unless you want to.

I used to surf with some buddies but they were too picky about what spot, what tide, maybe let's wait an hour, let's check this spot. Annoying. If I happen to see people I know in the water, great, but I'm not waiting around for them or working around their schedule.
Same. If I see people I know, cool, but I actually kind of hate surfing with other people. I'm selfish. I like to go out when I want to go out, where I want to go out, for as long (or short) as I want to stay out. And I like having the quiet time away from the wife, work, etc. I can't stand groups of guys that sit and yak like it's a sewing circle.

Ironically, as I type this, I'm waiting to hear back from a buddy about going out this morning and I would've already been in the water by now if I wasn't waiting around for him.

bobwarren

Nep status
Feb 24, 2016
Neptune Beach FL
Watching the cam earlier, deciding if I wanted to surf. Real crappy onshore waist high conditions and getting worse with the tide. First there was not a single person out. All the sudden I walk away and come back and I count 7 right on top of each other. I recount again and there's 12. No idea where the additional 5 came from as I never saw them paddle out, they just appeared. :trout:

Reactions: MathDebater

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005

Yea, I learned the hard way who to invite and where to surf etc.
So many times my buddy would have some bullshit reason to go home. That's why I say just meet me out there unless your whole day is free because im not leaving until im done...

Regarding the yuppie competition, so true, a local guy is decent but go pro's every single session and post to IG and tags the board company etc etc to get reposts. Unless you are ripping the absolute bag out of it , don't do that every session.
a lot of those types hit a skill ceiling too which is weird to me. MY skills have declined and I have equal parts moments of greatness and kookness but some of those guys are just consistently mediocre it baffles me

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
Yes some kind of rubber I was in a 2mm short sleeve full and was hot but 4/3 hood and booties is more then some kind of rubber:toilet:
I grew up in Florida and even after living half of my life now here in California I don't think i'll ever be the guy in just trunks. A 2mil top and trunks works some days but even then I won't last nearly as long as I would if I was wearing a spring suit. Then again I never really understood why people pride themselves on how little rubber they can wear. Everyone is built differently. I wont judge your rubber choices but I will judge how you act.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I grew up in Florida and even after living half of my life now here in California I don't think i'll ever be the guy in just trunks. A 2mil top and trunks works some days but even then I won't last nearly as long as I would if I was wearing a spring suit. Then again I never really understood why people pride themselves on how little rubber they can wear. Everyone is built differently. I wont judge your rubber choices but I will judge how you act.
Its not about pride with me and more about freedom, flexibility, no extra friction, and really how warm do you need to be. I trunk with short sleeve vest to protect chest from rash and sun so I keep rubber but little possible:shrug: