Stupidest Surfing Fashion Trends

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
used to think the same but I dawn patrol and wear a hood now for at least the first part of the session. Rarely wear booties though.

It's funny to think that people wear booties in 56-59 degree water but laugh at folks that wear a hood when the air is in the mid 40's with an offshore wind. Lol

And don't get me wrong, I used to be one of them.
the hood messes with my hearing and peripheral vision... and I need all the help I can get, not a handicap. I'll save it for those early mornings

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Oh yeah I am getting more used to it but I still don't like it. I should have also said the hood only really comes out when it's in the 40's. lately it's been nice not wearing one.

What_it_Do_Baybeeee

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 28, 2010
CA
used to think the same but I dawn patrol and wear a hood now for at least the first part of the session. Rarely wear booties though.

It's funny to think that people wear booties in 56-59 degree water but laugh at folks that wear a hood when the air is in the mid 40's with an offshore wind. Lol

And don't get me wrong, I used to be one of them.
Mid 40's? In SoCal? It has been in the 50's if not 60's as of late.

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Oh yeah I am getting more used to it but I still don't like it. I should have also said the hood only really comes out when it's in the 40's. lately it's been nice not wearing one.
Did you move?
I love booties, makes wax almost irrelevant.
Full suit and booties until spring suit. Wear spring suit, then full suit for about two weeks, then booties on.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
the hood messes with my hearing and peripheral vision...
where i surf, not wearing a hood will mess with your hearing big time. everyone i know is some where in the cycle of waiting for it to get bad enough to getting their ears done to recovering from having it done to fuk i can actuallyhear again to waiting for it to get bad enough ... again

Reactions: daave

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Did you move?
I love booties, makes wax almost irrelevant.
Full suit and booties until spring suit. Wear spring suit, then full suit for about two weeks, then booties on.
no, that's 92109. coldest air is just before the sun comes up. not in middle of night

I can't stand booties. Only wear them if water is 56 or below (travel) or I have long walks to the surf in the AM

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
air temp in the low 40s while the dog took a dump at dawn today.

have wanted to try hood no booties. I think the chin strap with exposed neck version looks full hipster kook tho.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Article from Vogue magazine in Aug 2020

"Surfing Is the Solitary Sport to Try This Summer"

Reactions: Mr J

ZZ Soft Top

Nep status
Sep 22, 2013
Manta Sonica
Reality is it seems like the new social club.
I noticed this starting around five years ago. It became the new version of golf for yuppie techie guys in Silicon Beach living their SoCal dream who would insta-crowd the terrible waves in Venice by paddling out five deep and then non-stop talk while bobbing on their soft-tops and overpriced hipster logs. And of course these days it's only gotten worse.