Stupid ding repair question

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
having ding repair materials/fin boxes/other actual surfboard stuff and a good number of used boards is what, imo, makes for a real surf shop and not a clothing boutique
Around 2006 I lived upstairs in a Pismo beach surf shop, in a big multi room open thing, with a foam room full of blanks(all Clark) and every size and type of resin under the sun. All the manual tools. Running fiberglass cloth off the spool and selling it by the yard. Curing ding repairs on the staircase in the sun. Happy smells in my memory forever.

Watervalley

OTF status
Dec 27, 2016
Huh
I wandered Home Depot this am to try to find a screw for a single fin i lost , what an ordeal , i'd take a measurement from any of you to keep in my head thanks

Driftcoast

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2002
Around 2006 I lived upstairs in a Pismo beach surf shop, in a big multi room open thing, with a foam room full of blanks(all Clark) and every size and type of resin under the sun. All the manual tools. Running fiberglass cloth off the spool and selling it by the yard. Curing ding repairs on the staircase in the sun. Happy smells in my memory forever.
Buy some cancer insurance

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Update for all your amusement and scorn at my travesty towards ding repair.

Finally got around to this and yeah, I remembered Bondo looking like whiskey puke but, still, that first pour into the mixing cup was a holy sh!t that's the leavings from the Big Ball of Brown moment. Think it was worth 4-5 ounces of the Bondo and another ounce or two of Q-Cell :roflmao: And picture below is obviously (still) after. I was way too enthusiastic in making sure it got everything covered so that left me a lot of sanding and probably still could use some more just to flatten things out a bit. But hey, feels pretty solid and whole area will be covered by dirty wax anyways. Good to have that backup stepup board in the mix if/when that 6'7" snaps.

I will also add that Bondo is so much less temperamental than standard ding repair resin/catalyst when it comes to setting, bubbling, etc. Would definitely use again for larger ding repairs.

1643220029343.jpeg

One thing for sure, I want to be the one who does SouthCoastSurfer's next ding repair. :jamon:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Update for all your amusement and scorn at my travesty towards ding repair.

Finally got around to this and yeah, I remembered Bondo looking like whiskey puke but, still, that first pour into the mixing cup was a holy sh!t that's the leavings from the Big Ball of Brown moment. Think it was worth 4-5 ounces of the Bondo and another ounce or two of Q-Cell :roflmao: And picture below is obviously (still) after. I was way too enthusiastic in making sure it got everything covered so that left me a lot of sanding and probably still could use some more just to flatten things out a bit. But hey, feels pretty solid and whole area will be covered by dirty wax anyways. Good to have that backup stepup board in the mix if/when that 6'7" snaps.

I will also add that Bondo is so much less temperamental than standard ding repair resin/catalyst when it comes to setting, bubbling, etc. Would definitely use again for larger ding repairs.

View attachment 123186

One thing for sure, I want to be the one who does SouthCoastSurfer's next ding repair. :jamon:
When in doubt go to shaper get pu/eps scraps and gorilla/etc glue and sand down flush. If still no go on foam scraps then expandable foam "white" is lighter then bondo or q cell. Paint foam if you have color to match. Then cover with 2 layers of glass and laminate coat then hot coat of resin:shaka:

Last edited:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
When in doubt go to shaper get pu/eps scraps and gorilla/etc glue and sand down flush. If still no go on foam scraps then expandable foam "white" is lighter then bondo or q cell. Paint foam if you have color to match. Then cover with 2 layers of glass and laminate coat then hot coat of resin:shaka:
Those last two steps sound like a lot of work. :roflmao:

• Haha
Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Those last two steps sound like a lot of work. :roflmao:
That is the easy part as long as you don't float your glass and no air bubbles your set :shaka:
You should download pdf ding repair book I linked above could save help you with future projects:cheers:

Reactions: Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
That is the easy part as long as you don't float your glass and no air bubbles your set :shaka:
You should download pdf ding repair book I linked above could save help you with future projects:cheers:
That book looks great - downloaded. Thanks!

Solarez is a good medium, goes fast, but I distrust it for larger dings. And you need sunlight.

I have to laugh how well that Bondo worked. Had such a better consistency and the resin/catalyst ratio was a lot more forgiving. Part of what irritates me about the standard ding repair material is that it takes forever for it to set up enough that it doesn't run like sh!t through a goose but then once it does finally set up, it turns to jello in 45 seconds. The rail cave-in on my other 6'6" was done in the very nick of time, like bomb squad cutting the wires at 0:02. But it appears to be solid and didn't fracture/pop last session so... happy days are here again I think. Quiver repaired and new board coming soon.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
That book looks great - downloaded. Thanks!

Solarez is a good medium, goes fast, but I distrust it for larger dings. And you need sunlight.

I have to laugh how well that Bondo worked. Had such a better consistency and the resin/catalyst ratio was a lot more forgiving. Part of what irritates me about the standard ding repair material is that it takes forever for it to set up enough that it doesn't run like sh!t through a goose but then once it does finally set up, it turns to jello in 45 seconds. The rail cave-in on my other 6'6" was done in the very nick of time, like bomb squad cutting the wires at 0:02. But it appears to be solid and didn't fracture/pop last session so... happy days are here again I think. Quiver repaired and new board coming soon.
Don not use solarez or a least not quick ding crap use epoxy putty instead for quick fix easy to shape no sanding :shaka:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Reactions: Kento

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I had the nose of a board buckle in transit to Bali. I asked one of the kids that was working with us whether he knew a place to get it fixed quickly near Sanur or Canggu (near the hotel, near the work site). He had been in Bali for some time staying at some Consulate house in Sanur.

"yeah" he says. I'll take you there.

Long story short, they repaired an almost new, white board with the same gray bondo you've got there. It was disappointingly ugly, but it was sound for a while. Had some fun, small days at Canggu, Keramas, and Ulus.
Eventually it started to crack at the seam back home. I think I gave it away or sold it for next to nothing to a Mexican friend from Puerto when I left Acapulco. It was worth it not to have to pay to get it back home on the plane.

Reactions: MathDebater