Stupid ding repair question

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Is there anything negative as far as using the Bondo brand fiberglass resin and catalyst from Home Depot for larger ding repairs? I'd go broke using the ding repair kits and the ingredients seem pretty damn close to similar.
We need to see the ding. Cut out all glass that isn't affixed to the foam. How deep is the hole? Don't they have boats in Bodega Bay? Anyplace with boats should have some resin.

I would not use Bondo for any large areas. It has <0 strength. It's best use is for emo repair on a little puka. Last time I used Bondo on a boar was 1981.

My advice, spend some $$$ and get the proper resin and filler.

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
Solarez. No mixing required. Just make sure you do the repair out of the direct sunlight.
Use mostly q-cell if filling is required and glass over the top if it the ding is wider than a 1/2”

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
I would not use Bondo for any large areas. It has <0 strength.
not true. Its pretty durable and does work. As mentioned I used it for all our fleet of windsurf, surf and kiteboards. Im not saying its recommended but does do the trick and super easy to use. Has an amazing shelf life as well lol

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
We need to see the ding. Cut out all glass that isn't affixed to the foam. How deep is the hole? Don't they have boats in Bodega Bay? Anyplace with boats should have some resin.

I would not use Bondo for any large areas. It has <0 strength. It's best use is for emo repair on a little puka. Last time I used Bondo on a boar was 1981.

My advice, spend some $$$ and get the proper resin and filler.

1640283896999.jpeg

About 18 inches by 3 inches and a cm or two deep. Had extra after repairing another board and added a small layer. Figured I would rough sand and go over the top of it with whatever I can use that is economically efficient and bonds to both the stringer and foam. Major concern is that the new glass strips right off the stringer. Still some glass that feels like it has some delam going on. :shrug:

Reactions: Senor Sopa

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
#1. You got to get rid of the wax before you attempt any repair. use paint thinner and then sand. You have too much wax too close to the repair IMHO.

I would used resin and lots filler (cabosil). Maybe even mixed some foam dust into the slurry. Sand flat. Then I would have used a 4 or 6 oz patch. You could use a rich lam and skip the hot coat. Feather the edge. Or hotcoat then sand again. Great thing about epoxy is you can sand the lam resin. No need to add wax.

Reactions: Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
#1. You got to get rid of the wax before you attempt any repair. use paint thinner and then sand. You have too much wax too close to the repair IMHO.

I would used resin and lots filler (cabosil). Maybe even mixed some foam dust into the slurry. Sand flat. Then I would have used a 4 or 6 oz patch. You could use a rich lam and skip the hot coat. Feather the edge. Or hotcoat then sand again. Great thing about epoxy is you can sand the lam resin. No need to add wax.
Thanks; yeah, a little more prep work that needs to happen.

The Bondo plus giving to a needy kid actually doesn't sound like a bad idea at all. :unsure: A couple boards ahead of it in the quiver (the 6'7" outperforms it any day) with a new 6'8" that I ordered a few months back.

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
View attachment 121265

About 18 inches by 3 inches and a cm or two deep. Had extra after repairing another board and added a small layer. Figured I would rough sand and go over the top of it with whatever I can use that is economically efficient and bonds to both the stringer and foam. Major concern is that the new glass strips right off the stringer. Still some glass that feels like it has some delam going on. :shrug:
Check the stringer width!!! Get the mineral spirits out, clean that wax, apply fibers, done. I'm loving all the brown around the other dings.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Funny story. I had a giant delam on my board when I was a kid. My parents weren't going to spend the money for surfboard resin and glass since it is expensive. I was a teenager and had limited funding. I found a giant tub of bondo in my Dad's shed and went to work. Cut out a 12 x 12 delam and filled with bondo. Sanded smooth and it held up fine.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Funny story. I had a giant delam on my board when I was a kid. My parents weren't going to spend the money for surfboard resin and glass since it is expensive. I was a teenager and had limited funding. I found a giant tub of bondo in my Dad's shed and went to work. Cut out a 12 x 12 delam and filled with bondo. Sanded smooth and it held up fine.
oh yes it works great

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
View attachment 121265

Kento is the absolute polar opposite to the YOLO ninjas in this house.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I got mine at surfy surfy when they existed but probably online only now.

probs too much sanding resin for most retail surf shopping store customers.
A little sad. One mark of a "real" surf shop vs t shirt store acting like a surf shop used to be whether or not they sold all of the materials you need to make and maintain a board.
Military base people love them some Bondo, I know this :LOL:

Reactions: Tarab_ish

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
A little sad. One mark of a "real" surf shop vs t shirt store acting like a surf shop used to be whether or not they sold all of the materials you need to make and maintain a board.
Military base people love them some Bondo, I know this :LOL:
having ding repair materials/fin boxes/other actual surfboard stuff and a good number of used boards is what, imo, makes for a real surf shop and not a clothing boutique

Reactions: stringcheese