Stupid ding repair question

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Is there anything negative as far as using the Bondo brand fiberglass resin and catalyst from Home Depot for larger ding repairs? I'd go broke using the ding repair kits and the ingredients seem pretty damn close to similar.

Am I overthinking this or is this exactly what everyone else does?

For background, I noticed on the old 6'6" battleaxe Senate that water was seeping through the glass next to the stringer at a rate enough to make Ben Shapiro blush. Well, more of an ooze than anything else but obvious that lot of water under that delamed glass. Started peeling glass and one thing led to another and oh man there's no way I can take it to a shop now for repair with a straight face... So yeah, added one lower layer (kind of) of an ounce or two of residual ding repair fluid but it's at least a few ounces more. Should hopefully work its way out in the end. Feel like that little Dutch boy but having to ram fists into the dike holes on this board to keep the seepage to a minimum....

Last edited:

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I'm no chemist, but I have tried hardware store resin on ding repairs before.

The most obvious difference to me was the hardware store resin had no UV resistance. The ding repair turned into the most god awful puke yellow you could imagine. It was an embarrassing yellow. You could always paint over it though.

The repair turned out fine and held up well.

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
Bondo? You could use if for filler but it will be heavy. When you use it for body repairs you need to spray paint over it to seal it.
As ST says, just splurge and buy some surfboard resin and Q-cell.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Stop being a cheap fck n buy a ding repair kit that comes w like a quart of resin, Qcell etc. it’s not that expensive.
Yeah, I have those. Great for small repairs but even the larger one only comes with 4 oz of resin or so and I'm not going to buy 3 kits just for their three little tubes of resin.

Bondo? You could use if for filler but it will be heavy. When you use it for body repairs you need to spray paint over it to seal it.
As ST says, just splurge and buy some surfboard resin and Q-cell.
Thanks. Yeah, the respective weight is precisely what I was wondering. Said board is already heavy, old, and already pretty yellowed but don't want to add TOO much weight.

I'm no chemist, but I have tried hardware store resin on ding repairs before.

The most obvious difference to me was the hardware store resin had no UV resistance. The ding repair turned into the most god awful puke yellow you could imagine. It was an embarrassing yellow. You could always paint over it though.

The repair turned out fine and held up well.
Thanks. I'll give it a shot. Maybe mix some Q-Cell into it to get a better color or will that make a difference?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
There’s a bigger jug you can buy than the small amount from those kits.

be warned, it’s exothermic and the bigger the repair the higher the likelihood of too many drops of catalyst creating enough heat to melt the foam.

ask me how I know.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
There’s a bigger jug you can buy than the small amount from those kits.

be warned, it’s exothermic and the bigger the repair the higher the likelihood of too many drops of catalyst creating enough heat to melt the foam.

ask me how I know.
The same way I do.

Taking too long to set so let's add more catalyst! Uh-oh... is that a fire? That's why I try to do this outside. :roflmao:

Where can you get those larger jugs for specific ding repair? Amazon?

• Haha
Reactions: sdsrfr

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
It couldn't make it any worse :ROFLMAO:
Right now, no it couldn't. Oh man that dirty black water oozing out along the stringer where the glass had cracked. :barf:

I have been putting off this repair for over 4 months (moving was such a good excuse) so the good news is the foam should be plenty dry by now.

kento: remember there's no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people. :shameonyou:
MENSA would reject me based on my ding repair skills alone. I mean, there are other reasons but that's the most obvious - the handiwork is out there for everyone to see.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
gotcha, there used to be kits w a lot more resin than that.

any builder or glass shops in your area? Some of em will sell directly; bring-your-own-container style - for resin etc.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Where can you get those larger jugs for specific ding repair? Amazon?
At your local surf shop, there should be larger containers of resin in the same area they sell those little ding repair kits.

Amazon has it too, but I don't know if this is a good price or not for 8oz.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
make sure it is dry...

had a tail crack on an XTR and used Epoxy from rite aid in a OBSD hotel room

got sunbaked and was soft the next few days

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
foamez or greenlight. pint of sanding resin (comes with mekp) a yard of 4oz e cloth, a few little 1oz measuring cups, some qcell, blue tape, dixie cups, popsicle sticks, acetone, squeegee, respirator rubber gloves sandpaper and your in business

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
Agree with the people here who say buy a small jug of surfboard-specific resin, not the all-in-one kits or some nonsurfboard workaround. I just looked at what I bought from freeline surf shop in santa cruz and they sell "composite resource" brand "polyester surfboard laminating resin" for $20 for a quart. I assume that's not even particularly cheap. if you use a paper towel to wipe off the threads of the lid before you screw it back on (so it doesn't dry out and freeze stuck) it'll seriously last you several surfboards of ding repair. Buy a tiny thing of the surfacing agent wax (like $6) for the hot coat, (or honestly you can get by without it for just ding repair)

I guess you have a pressing ding to deal with, but generally I've never understood why people buy the little kits. Buy a thing of the real stuff and it lasts a really long time. whatever greenlight or fiberglass hawaii ships is good I'm sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kento