Stubby Shortboard

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Sweet that’s some good feedback. I’m on east coast OZ so Stamps and Stretch and some of the US shapers are out of the equation.

doesn’t sound like I can go wrong with any of them. It’s probably more like waste high + anyway I’m after, sometimes we get really punchy little swells which are fun on the stubbies.

The happy Everyday sounds a bit like the Sampler I loved, though it definitely had a top end. Been meaning to try a Pyzel though so probably between those two.
:shrug:

Tomay

OTF status
Feb 2, 2010
Reactions: rowjimmytour

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Did you end up having a change of opinion on your MG? Curious how you ended up sizing since you sometimes iterate on dims.
I wouldn't say I had a change of heart but I would say it's a valid shape. I can see how some would like it. I can see how it would be a good step down/fun HPSB for Hawaii.

For me, it doesn't have a low-end range I'd want in a board that's basically a stub and I don't really care for stubby boards in waves that are good enough to ride a HPSB at OB.

I think it was spot on for dims. It was a stock 5'9 and I'm not sure that I'd change anything if I were to have another one. That's pretty close to my shortboard step down dims which is what the happy everyday in my post above is.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I was in the same boat. MiniGhost should fit the bill, but I haven’t gotten enough waves on it to really give a fair endorsement.
Phantom has a different outline without a hip, but it also covers what you describe and Pyzel XL dims could make it even stubbier, if desired. Had a couple fun sessions on mine in punchy chest high surf, but I just don’t reach for a thruster very often these days. the right twins cover that range for me.
Twinsman works well CH-HH, and i bet Insanity quad could be a fun alt to thruster. Just sayin.
Insanity is an awesome board. Incredible range. Rode a 5'10 in 3 - 10 foot waves in Nica. Sold it which was a huge mistake :/

Tomay

OTF status
Feb 2, 2010
Went and felt a few boards up. Ghost and Inferno didn't do a great deal for me. Ended up really liking the feeling of the Little Wing I fondled from Lost. Also loved a little Synthetic 84 from T.Patterson I picked up but can't find much info on it.

Brsnstein

OTF status
Jul 28, 2018
SoCal
Synth 84 is a good time. Picked one up on a whim to mix things up for everyday conditions and for a couple camless spots that require a hike. Only got five sessions on it before it creased on a building swell with some overhead hollow one. Still need to get it repaired and it looks like the stock dims seem to have been updated and widened. Tempted to order another, but put off by the 6 month wait time listed on his website.

More nose rocker than I expected (around 6”) and gradual low tail rocker (2”) via crude floor measurements. Lots of speed and actually had me thinking about airs. Liked it best with am1s

therarebirdshow

OTF status
Jan 28, 2013
www.amazon.com
The Happy Everyday is a great board and I'd argue it's the most groveler focused of the bunch. I haven't tested the upper range on the board but the board carries a lot of width through the outline. If you order it narrow I think it would have a funne upper range but if you go wide I think it will redline very quickly. I absolutely love the Happy Everyday as a step-down shortboard but I'd only use it HH and under.
I've had the same experience with the Happy Everyday. I really enjoy it, but it's on the skatey end of step-down HPSBs.

Would be curious to try the Mini Ghost after this. Or even the Neck Beard 3 -- haven't seen or heard about anyone riding this one, though.

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
Speaking of stubby thrusters, I just picked up a Tokoro SF3 for $200 (~ $125 USD) off Gumtree - it was too cheap to pass up and I've had a couple of surfs on it so far in chest to OH surf.

Not sold on it yet - it's got a different foil than I'm used to - the tail is very thinned out but it feels very wide, with the wide point a bit forward. Very deep concaves too.

Reactions: paunch23

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
I love my happy everyday for those conditions. I'm 6'2 and on the stock 5'10. If I were to reorder I'd probably go a hair narrower. It goes alright in the knee high department, better than the mini ghost I'd assume. That being said I'm definitely on the pj pro if not even the sets are waist high :)
Is the low end on the PJ that much better? Tempted to give a Happy Everyday or PJP a go. Sold my beloved Rad Ripper and was gonna order another but kinda want to try something else. Mini Ghost sounds like it might overlap too much with my P2.

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Chilli Rare Bird - Can't get off mine from waist to overhead