String theory, simulation theory, E8, fibers

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
God is what humans wish they could be; all seeing, all knowing, as in perpetually enlightened and tuned into all dimensions at all states of time and space, thus the only being truly capable of not affecting anything by simply observing it, as we unfortunately do.

:jamon::eek::jamon:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Weird cross reference but kind of related warning

In trading world, A LOT of people use numbers from Fibonacci Sequence to help determine buy and sell points, because they believe these numbers naturally occur in trading charts. This means they believe these numbers naturally occur in our brains (as they do everywhere in nature), on a subconscious level telling us when to buy and sell.

Other people trade against moon phases. No joke.

Some deep underlying cosmic sh!t going on, but all I want to do is catch waves. Right now I'd even take a 1 footer on the ole log.

I hear about people trading on based on these kind of things and I think its total bullshit. But at the same time... if enough people trade based on these things, then it will effect the market. Trippy chit.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I hear about people trading on based on these kind of things and I think its total bullshit. But at the same time... if enough people trade based on these things, then it will effect the market. Trippy chit.
Yep. Traders call it a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you have enough people looking at the chart, and everyone is expecting a bounce at the same support level, a lot of people will end up buying there.

One of the stranger stories I've heard. A stock trader at a firm would pass by some huge publicly traded company, every morning on his way to work. The company manufactured things. He began to take note of the huge parking lot for this company as he drove by every morning. Some weeks the parking lot would be full. Other weeks it would be quite empty with a lot less workers. He started noticing the empty/full parking lots could be correlated with the stock price. This was his 'edge' and he was able to make a killing trading that particular stock.

A more popular one is studying current satellite photos (or gps ship tracking sites) of major ports to see where cargo and oil ships are pulling in to offload. Obviously there is some correlation there with spending, distribution, in-store product supplies, etc. This sort of info could give the 'edge' to a savvy trader who could pull all of the right data together to make good trading decisions.

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
I think Stephen Hawkings summed it up best in his lecture from 1999

Like some here all this makes my head hurt as I gave up thinking about this esoteric sheet when I made a pact with the devil and became a banker 40+ years ago. I should have become a quant, but they didn't have them and desktop computers back then. I could've become just another unhappy rich person like those I've serviced all my career.

In the lecture Hawkings said these two things in refuting Einsten's quote;

would Hawkings qualify as a legit savant?
Now you are hurting *my* head! :)

As far as Hawkings being a legit savant, I think yes. Not an idiot savant of course. I think part of his success in his proposed theories was due to forced isolation from his ALS.

Btw, some coworkers in San Diego are working on quantum entanglement which I find totally mind blowing.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
quantum entanglement is gnarly! Shine a flashlight in your bedroom and see it in your kitchen type sh!t.

Reactions: sponge

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
What about intuition or what we value as "common sense" which doesn't need mathematics?
If you look at hard core mathematics from the outside, it looks just like any other hieroglyphic language among humans perhaps just an advanced language but a language based on agreed values/perceptions.
There's a difference between math and institutional facts or 'social truths'. Everyone involved has to agree that money is real or has value, for instance, for that fiction to work. Math is more like formal logic whose explanatory and predictive power can exceed that of our senses and common sense in certain ways.

Does a savant view this mathematics based reality the same way?
Makes you wonder what they see/feel/hear/smell out there the rest of us cannot.
My understanding is that they are simply obsessive and can develop extraordinary abilities because of that obsessiveness and extreme focus.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
quantum entanglement is gnarly! Shine a flashlight in your bedroom and see it in your kitchen type sh!t.
The ancient Hindus have lots of art that looks very similar to the E8 projections.

That dude Gauss started all this modern crap.
Infinite series expansion...
Probability Density Function is an amazing tool.

Worked with a guy who was teaching computers to read lips. He broke the mouth down into 16 basic shapes (projections), then applied statistics to get what word/vowel/consonant was being spoken. This guy also was able to substitute voices into audio. Take my audio and make it sound like you imitating me, perfectly.

Ever look for something, can't find it. Then all of a sudden, there it is? This could be parallel universes dropping in and out of phase with ours.

Reactions: santacruzin

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
not saying its wrong
just saying,
if there was no such thing as mathematics
then what?

that's a huge dependancy for everything to be based on
could be a huge joke on mankind

I always think of Eisenberg
about the the concept of measuring
without measurements you can't measure
Think I'm with you on this one. Math as the language of shape, size, and relationships in space has been responsible for our ability to predict the behavior of the world around us in ways that we might not ever be able to do with pure experiments. In some ways, though, as computational power increases, the cart is getting in front of the horse. Just because a manipulation can be made mathematically, does that mean there must be a direct physical translation? Much of string theory, and other areas of advanced physics, seems to find itself in deep, deep, pure math waters. I don't know who is right, though. I think we're too small, exist for too short a time, to be equipt to handle real perspective.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I thought about that movie too. My dad took me to see this movie when I was so young. I was freaked out on this scene. Now I'm like damn that would be kind of cool to see. :roflmao:

I took Stephanie on a date to this movie.

We broke up about a two months later and she asked that I returned the swimsuit photo she had given me. I gave it back.

I don't know the best way to view stock market behavioral analytics, but for me, it is most easily understood as 'perception driven'.

For example, regardless of absolutes, if "enough" $$$ says 1+1=3, that means if you don't don't have $$$$$$, you're going to be on the wrong side of things to deny 1+1=3.

Sweetie-pie and I will joke about being quantum entangled when others would probably say, "And that is why I love you."

Last edited:
Reactions: stringcheese