Strike 3 on Obamacare Repeal

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
GromsDad said:
We lost our first child to cancer......pre Obamacare. Its something I have more experience with than I would wish on anyone.
So how would paying for it yourself have worked out?

We've been fortunate to have good health all around with our kids, but that can change any day. I'm better off than most in the US, and if I had to come out of pocket for cancer treatment, we'd likely go BK.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Sizz is incorrect. We had health insurance. The EOBs totaled a little over $2.3 million for about 6 month of in and out care, chemo, radiation and end of life. Our battle was that the particular form of cancer was exceedingly rare... 6 to 13 cases on average per year....that being the case the treatment protocol was considered experimental. We had to do some fighting with the insurance because of the experimental nature of the care but ultimately everything worked out in the end.

With my cash model you may have overlooked the part where I mentioned Charity. Americans are a very generous people.......especially for children. As a result of our situation alone my wife and I along with other family members have given very very generously to the Children's Hospital over the years.

PS: Americans could be even far more charitable if you would get Washington out of our back pockets.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
GromsDad said:
PS: Americans could be even far more charitable if you would get Washington out of our back pockets.
supply side economics has been repeatedly proven as farce; your statement is ridiculous.

I donated half my liver to my son who was born with a rare liver condition.

obamacare means he will be able to have affordable health care and will be
taken care of when he needs another transplant later in life without fear of
service caps or having his coverage revoked.

thanks, Obama.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
GromsDad said:
Sizz is incorrect. We had health insurance. The EOBs totaled a little over $2.3 million for about 6 month of in and out care, chemo, radiation and end of life. Our battle was that the particular form of cancer was exceedingly rare... 6 to 13 cases on average per year....that being the case the treatment protocol was considered experimental. We had to do some fighting with the insurance because of the experimental nature of the care but ultimately everything worked out in the end.

With my cash model you may have overlooked the part where I mentioned Charity. Americans are a very generous people.......especially for children. As a result of our situation alone my wife and I along with other family members have given very very generously to the Children's Hospital over the years.

If everyone is on the hook for a potential $2.3M hospital bill, you think they're going to go around supporting everyone else? Regardless, your plan would result in a "I can afford it so I get to live" scenario. Totally American.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
StuAzole said:
GromsDad said:
We lost our first child to cancer......pre Obamacare. Its something I have more experience with than I would wish on anyone.
So how would paying for it yourself have worked out?

We've been fortunate to have good health all around with our kids, but that can change any day. I'm better off than most in the US, and if I had to come out of pocket for cancer treatment, we'd likely go BK.
My boss has twins that were born at 25wks when his wife got a bad infection. +6 months in NICU, multiple brain, heart, stomach and lung surgeries later they exceeded the pre-ACA lifetime caps of his insurance before they ever left the hospital. Thankfully they were born just after the ACA was signed into law and they've been covered. They're now almost 5yrs old and doing well all things considered. But his daughter has a weak immune system and still ends up hospitalized every year or so with infections ranging from MRSA and most recently influenza A and requires continuing occupational therapy and hormone treatments because of her size. Their total combined healthcare costs have exceeded $8 million in just over 4yrs. I would love to hear how Gromsdad would expect them to foot such a bill with cash.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Irony, of course, is that they'll fight to keep babies from being aborted but let them die soon thereafter because "just pay for it yourself."

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
frvcvs said:
Their total combined healthcare costs have exceeded $8 million in just over 4yrs. I would love to hear how Gromsdad would expect them to foot such a bill with cash.
What part of the charity portion of my post are you having such a hard time grasping? Perhaps you can't grasp this because you have no charity in your heart? Trust me many others do.

Also regarding someone else's question about paying for the costs for a bad health incident like we faced in a cash model: My EOBs totaled a little over $2.3 million. That is what the hospital billed the insurance. But what was the real price if it was a cash transaction between patient and hospital? Nobody could tell you for sure under the current system. The real cost may have only been a couple hundred thousand for all any of us know.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
GromsDad said:
frvcvs said:
Their total combined healthcare costs have exceeded $8 million in just over 4yrs. I would love to hear how Gromsdad would expect them to foot such a bill with cash.
What part of the charity portion of my post are you having such a hard time grasping? Perhaps you can't grasp this because you have no charity in your heart? Trust me many others do.

Also regarding someone else's question about paying for the costs for a bad health incident like we faced in a cash model: My EOBs totaled a little over $2.3 million. That is what the hospital billed the insurance. But what was the real price if it was a cash transaction between patient and hospital? Nobody could tell you for sure under the current system. The real cost may have only been a couple hundred thousand for all any of us know.
Here's a better question for you GromsDad, that may help put your cash system in perspective. How much would you have been willing to pay to save the life of your child? Is there any limit? You seem like a caring family man, so I am going to assume the answer is there is no limit. The answer would likely be the same for the vast majority of parents out there. The answer would also be the same for most people facing a personal diagnosis with a life-threatening disease. Do you see how that causes serious problems in a market-based all-cash system?

In terms of your charity idea. Do you really believe charity could cover the costs of care for all of the uninsured and underinsured individuals out there? Do you realize how much our government spends on healthcare for those in need every year? Not to mention, it still leaves an adverse incentive not to obtain insurance. Many people will say, why pay for something that you may never need if charity will just take care of?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
GromsDad said:
frvcvs said:

Ah. Did you have a couple hundred thousand laying around to cover that?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
StuAzole said:
GromsDad said:
frvcvs said:

Have you ever bought a new car? Did you have cash on hand or did you finance it?

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
GromsDad said:
yes, frvcvs, if only we lowered taxes, people would give that extra money to charities
to the tune of the gajillions of dollars that would be needed to treat people with
extreme medical needs.

GromsDad continues to outdo himself in the realm of utter stupidity.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
sizzld1 said:
GromsDad said:
frvcvs said:

Here's a better question for you GromsDad, that may help put your cash system in perspective. How much would you have been willing to pay to save the life of your child? Is there any limit? You seem like a caring family man, so I am going to assume the answer is there is no limit. The answer would likely be the same for the vast majority of parents out there. The answer would also be the same for most people facing a personal diagnosis with a life-threatening disease. Do you see how that causes serious problems in a market-based all-cash system?

In terms of your charity idea. Do you really believe charity could cover the costs of care for all of the uninsured and underinsured individuals out there? Do you realize how much our government spends on healthcare for those in need every year? Not to mention, it still leaves an adverse incentive not to obtain insurance. Many people will say, why pay for something that you may never need if charity will just take care of?
Seems a lot of you still can't grasp the concept of charity. Believe it or not 100 years ago many hospitals were charity based. Many were even.......god forbid.....affiliated with the church.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
GromsDad said:
StuAzole said:
GromsDad said:
frvcvs said:

Have you ever bought a new car? Did you have cash on hand or did you finance it?
What if I don't have good credit? You're still leaving it as a "if you can afford it you can live" proposition.

But yeah, I typically pay cash unless the financing rates are down near zero.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
GromsDad said:
sizzld1 said:
GromsDad said:
frvcvs said:

Seems a lot of you still can't grasp the concept of charity. Believe it or not 100 years ago many hospitals were charity based. Many were even.......god forbid.....affiliated with the church.
And what happened then? How exactly would this charity-based system work today?

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
GromsDad said:
sizzld1 said:
GromsDad said:
frvcvs said:

If you're so pro-charity than why are conservatives like you actively trying to take down charitable organizations such as Planned Parenthood, ACORN, etc? :pokestick:

And what kinda charity has the funding to contribute upwards of $8 Million to the healthcare needs of one family? :socrazy:

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
BTW, here's more proof that Dems ARE interested in helping fix Obamacare:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/09/26/mitch-mcconnell-pulls-obamacare-repeal-senate-consideration-gop-support-fails/703644001/