Stretch "The IT"

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
In this “First ride impressions” piece, the featured board happens to be none other than the most under stated, longest continually offered and most inquired board in the Stretch model line.
Darshan really wanted to wrap his head around the IT and what the mystifying board design was meant to do, where it could go on the wave and how it fits in to a surfer’s quiver.
DSC_4703 copyDSC_4694 copyDSC_4697 copy
Stretch would sum up the IT model as longboard paddle and stability up front with control and maneuverability out the back. It’s got rocker, it’s got foil, it can be pushed harder than you may think. Over the past 20-something years since it’s inception the IT has turned heads and put smiles on every person who rides one.

The stock size dimensions for Darshan’s 7’0″ IT show a nose width of 17.8″ and a tail width of 15.1″. That’s loosely calling it a “not so pointy” Super Buzz nose width spliced onto a tail width the same as a THING v2!
DSC_4435
The IT comes standard with a 5-fin convertible set up. Available in either Futures or FCS systems.
The IT really isn’t a down-sized longboard. It’s not an up-sized shortboard. It’s not really fair to call it a “funboard” or “mini-mal” or “micro HPLB”. The IT is so much of an anomaly we couldn’t come up with a more descriptive name!
I would’ve called it the “Surf Mullet” if someone had asked but i think that name was already taken. The IT has been around longer than i have so we’ll just leave it at that. “Business in the front, party in the back!” Makes sense to me!
Name: Darshan Gooch
Height/weight: 6’4″ 180lbs
Model/size/fin set up:
IT round pin 7’0” x 21.5″ x 2.65″ vol. 43.2L CFT std construction. Ridden as a quad with Firewire template (Futures)
DSC_4711
Location/conditions:
Steamer Lane: Fairly clean, 4-6 ft waves off the slot and inside middle peak., a little challenging with the higher tide wobble and refractions..
Pleasure Point: 4-6 ft, North westerly slopey walls with lots of people/ obstacles.
Rider background (general skill level, current board(s), misc. other factors):
Goofy looking regular footer, 25 years surfing experience.
Initial thoughts/expectations (was this really what you thought you were getting?):
Considering this board is fairly different than the boards I usually ride on a regular basis, I tried to approach this particular board with an open mind.
Ride experience:
The first thing I noticed when I jumped off the cliff and onto this board was it’s incredible paddling abilities. It was almost like I had to wipe the smirk off my face once I discovered the advantages I was gaining.
Strengths:
Paddling! There was a huge advantage that opened up in the accessibility of catching waves I wouldn’t usually consider paddling for. Great down the line speed and maneuverability.
Weaknesses:
The only weakness that comes to mind might be the amount of people you may upset if you take full advantage of this boards wave catching abilities.
Summary (your best one sentence description, recommendations or overall feeling):
The IT : A very user-friendly board for a wide variety of waves and skill levels.

Check out the available stock IT models for sale at: store.stretchboards.com. As always, each board is made custom and individual.
Not seeing exactly what you are looking for? Choose from the “fast track” options in the pull down menu to put down a deposit and build up the stock dimensions with color, fins, logos, tail template and construction specs to your own personal preference!
There’s been a set of commonly asked questions in regards to the IT model i’ve encountered over the years. Darshan responds back after gaining some insight:
Can you duck dive it?
DG: At 7’0” I found the IT reasonably easy to duckdive in the 4-6 waves IT was tested. I think in bigger / more powerful surf or in larger sizes the IT could get challenging to push under waves unless you could over power it.
Quad or Tri?:
DG: I have ridden the IT both with quad and tri fin setups. Personally I have enjoyed quads more recently but trust the tri fin setup to be equally functional. It’s all personal preference in my opinion.
How does it work when the waves are pumping?
DG: If the surf was pumping the IT will open up nicely! In a perfect world I would enjoy this board in some overhead walls where you could get in early with an abundance of speed and push this board down the line and through it’s paces. Top to bottom waves might be a little more challenging of coarse.
What are your intentions?
DG: My intentions with the IT would be: taking a load off and cruising along like a sea bird. Long flowing movements, nothing to serious, just riding like the wind. Enjoy!
Would you travel with it?
The IT is a great travel board for easy locations where the consistency needle is trending to the lower end of the spectrum. It will cover all the bases and when the surf jumps up you won’t necessarily be scrambling for shelter since it has the rocker and foil to handle a bit more punch that the waves will throw at you.
Can you nose ride it?
Cheater 5’s, maybe. For sure in the longer lengths with a steep wall. Perching on the nose in full trim isn’t something that most people can handle on an over rockered longboard let alone a mid-length though.
Can it be ridden as a tri? Single? 2+1?
The IT was originally designed with a thruster set up. In the mid-2000’s when the quad craze went full tilt we were doing them as convertibles and also 4+1 set up’s with 8.5″ center fin boxes and even 10 1/2″ boxes if the length, width and rocker would accommodate it. This gave the most options for anyone who wanted 2+1, tri (with center box adapter plug for your normal FCS center fin) and yes, even a single if they wanted to get funky. Everyone raves about the quad set up in the IT but tri’s work darn well also! We make them 5-fin convertible so you get the best options to choose from.
Can you get a longer version and surf cowells on one?
You could….. We’ve made them long but the sweet spot is in the 7’0″ to 8’0″+ range. Groms, light footed proficient folks and smaller statured surfers could get away with it in large, slopey, slow moving walls but there’s a reason flat rockered logs dominate longboard zones. Paddling harder and getting less waves doesn’t sound super fun.
What construction would you prefer?
We’ve made them primarily in our CFT construction. EPS/epoxy gives a lively feel and adds the durability and longevity which is paramount in a board design such as the IT. Legacy cork/bamboo builds and funky color laminations are another way to spice things up. Custom builds are what we do so sky is the limit and is all about what your personal preference dictates.

Still have questions? Contact us at: info@stretchboards.com

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
In this “First ride impressions” piece, the featured board happens to be none other than the most under stated, longest continually offered and most inquired board in the Stretch model line.
Darshan really wanted to wrap his head around the IT and what the mystifying board design was meant to do, where it could go on the wave and how it fits in to a surfer’s quiver.
DSC_4703 copyDSC_4694 copyDSC_4697 copy
Stretch would sum up the IT model as longboard paddle and stability up front with control and maneuverability out the back. It’s got rocker, it’s got foil, it can be pushed harder than you may think. Over the past 20-something years since it’s inception the IT has turned heads and put smiles on every person who rides one.

The stock size dimensions for Darshan’s 7’0″ IT show a nose width of 17.8″ and a tail width of 15.1″. That’s loosely calling it a “not so pointy” Super Buzz nose width spliced onto a tail width the same as a THING v2!
DSC_4435
The IT comes standard with a 5-fin convertible set up. Available in either Futures or FCS systems.
The IT really isn’t a down-sized longboard. It’s not an up-sized shortboard. It’s not really fair to call it a “funboard” or “mini-mal” or “micro HPLB”. The IT is so much of an anomaly we couldn’t come up with a more descriptive name!
I would’ve called it the “Surf Mullet” if someone had asked but i think that name was already taken. The IT has been around longer than i have so we’ll just leave it at that. “Business in the front, party in the back!” Makes sense to me!
Name: Darshan Gooch
Height/weight: 6’4″ 180lbs
Model/size/fin set up:
IT round pin 7’0” x 21.5″ x 2.65″ vol. 43.2L CFT std construction. Ridden as a quad with Firewire template (Futures)
DSC_4711
Location/conditions:
Steamer Lane: Fairly clean, 4-6 ft waves off the slot and inside middle peak., a little challenging with the higher tide wobble and refractions..
Pleasure Point: 4-6 ft, North westerly slopey walls with lots of people/ obstacles.
Rider background (general skill level, current board(s), misc. other factors):
Goofy looking regular footer, 25 years surfing experience.
Initial thoughts/expectations (was this really what you thought you were getting?):
Considering this board is fairly different than the boards I usually ride on a regular basis, I tried to approach this particular board with an open mind.
Ride experience:
The first thing I noticed when I jumped off the cliff and onto this board was it’s incredible paddling abilities. It was almost like I had to wipe the smirk off my face once I discovered the advantages I was gaining.
Strengths:
Paddling! There was a huge advantage that opened up in the accessibility of catching waves I wouldn’t usually consider paddling for. Great down the line speed and maneuverability.
Weaknesses:
The only weakness that comes to mind might be the amount of people you may upset if you take full advantage of this boards wave catching abilities.
Summary (your best one sentence description, recommendations or overall feeling):
The IT : A very user-friendly board for a wide variety of waves and skill levels.

Check out the available stock IT models for sale at: store.stretchboards.com. As always, each board is made custom and individual.
Not seeing exactly what you are looking for? Choose from the “fast track” options in the pull down menu to put down a deposit and build up the stock dimensions with color, fins, logos, tail template and construction specs to your own personal preference!
There’s been a set of commonly asked questions in regards to the IT model i’ve encountered over the years. Darshan responds back after gaining some insight:
Can you duck dive it?
DG: At 7’0” I found the IT reasonably easy to duckdive in the 4-6 waves IT was tested. I think in bigger / more powerful surf or in larger sizes the IT could get challenging to push under waves unless you could over power it.
Quad or Tri?:
DG: I have ridden the IT both with quad and tri fin setups. Personally I have enjoyed quads more recently but trust the tri fin setup to be equally functional. It’s all personal preference in my opinion.
How does it work when the waves are pumping?
DG: If the surf was pumping the IT will open up nicely! In a perfect world I would enjoy this board in some overhead walls where you could get in early with an abundance of speed and push this board down the line and through it’s paces. Top to bottom waves might be a little more challenging of coarse.
What are your intentions?
DG: My intentions with the IT would be: taking a load off and cruising along like a sea bird. Long flowing movements, nothing to serious, just riding like the wind. Enjoy!
Would you travel with it?
The IT is a great travel board for easy locations where the consistency needle is trending to the lower end of the spectrum. It will cover all the bases and when the surf jumps up you won’t necessarily be scrambling for shelter since it has the rocker and foil to handle a bit more punch that the waves will throw at you.
Can you nose ride it?
Cheater 5’s, maybe. For sure in the longer lengths with a steep wall. Perching on the nose in full trim isn’t something that most people can handle on an over rockered longboard let alone a mid-length though.
Can it be ridden as a tri? Single? 2+1?
The IT was originally designed with a thruster set up. In the mid-2000’s when the quad craze went full tilt we were doing them as convertibles and also 4+1 set up’s with 8.5″ center fin boxes and even 10 1/2″ boxes if the length, width and rocker would accommodate it. This gave the most options for anyone who wanted 2+1, tri (with center box adapter plug for your normal FCS center fin) and yes, even a single if they wanted to get funky. Everyone raves about the quad set up in the IT but tri’s work darn well also! We make them 5-fin convertible so you get the best options to choose from.
Can you get a longer version and surf cowells on one?
You could….. We’ve made them long but the sweet spot is in the 7’0″ to 8’0″+ range. Groms, light footed proficient folks and smaller statured surfers could get away with it in large, slopey, slow moving walls but there’s a reason flat rockered logs dominate longboard zones. Paddling harder and getting less waves doesn’t sound super fun.
What construction would you prefer?
We’ve made them primarily in our CFT construction. EPS/epoxy gives a lively feel and adds the durability and longevity which is paramount in a board design such as the IT. Legacy cork/bamboo builds and funky color laminations are another way to spice things up. Custom builds are what we do so sky is the limit and is all about what your personal preference dictates.

Still have questions? Contact us at: info@stretchboards.com
Sounds like a lot of fluff that doesn’t quite match up with comments from former owners.

Reactions: kane

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
Unless there's something wrong with the rocker or maybe the bottom contours it's hard to imagine why that incredibly basic surfboard wouldn't work.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Sounds like a lot of fluff that doesn’t quite match up with comments from former owners.
Pretty ole design been in Stretch family for long time and not sure if OTR etc It or custom. I have had all great experiences now wirh 4 custom boards and 5th over 3 weeks in.

YakAk

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 22, 2010
I owned an IT mid length, 7'4" I really liked the board the first few sessions. Then for some reason I seemed to struggle a bit with it. To me, it surfed better in bigger waves. Maybe a little too much tail rocker in a mid length for my taste. I sold IT to my friend and he had the same experience. Now in his garage collecting dust.

Last edited:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I'd like to see him ride it as a three-fin. More drive? Seemed like the drive/speed wasn't pushing him all the way up to the lip zone. Like he coulda ripped harder.
He did comment on video he rode as thruster as well and liked it but preferred quad since he had been riding twins. I went twin thinking fun carve board to trim on small fun waves to good waves.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Mine were all customs and rode one or two with 2, 3, 4, 5 and .5 fins. Of course Darshon is going to say they work....

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008
I'd like to see him ride it as a three-fin. More drive? Seemed like the drive/speed wasn't pushing him all the way up to the lip zone. Like he coulda ripped harder.
Those were some of the weakest turns ever seen! Like ZERO spray.

IT is a funbored.
IT has continuous rocker.
IT needs a wave or IT paddles and feels like a dog.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Those were some of the weakest turns ever seen! Like ZERO spray.

IT is a funbored.
IT has continuous rocker.
IT needs a wave or IT paddles and feels like a dog.
For me Darshon looks awkward on the It video but I also think same is less degree on 2x4 and buzzsaw video. It may be due to him riding twins exclusive for some time and if you watch 2win review looks much more at home. I am attracted to "It" because of shape and the stretch foil but more so knowing that I have had 4 customs (gbuzz, superbuzz, buzzsaw, and 2x4 step up) from stretch that came out perfect after sharing my wants etc...I have always wanted another stinger after owning a short stubby Aipa thumbtail single in high school. I wanted a mid size twin for soft days at my local reef or beachbreak and this seemed perfect though the speed egg with alpha omega bottom and twin set up sounded nice as well.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
For me Darshon looks awkward on the It video but I also think same is less degree on 2x4 and buzzsaw video.
ive surfed with him a number of times when he's been on a buzzsaw.

seen him do some pretty impressive sh!t on that model in person so im thinking its more the format than the boar

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
ive surfed with him a number of times when he's been on a buzzsaw.

seen him do some pretty impressive sh!t on that model in person so im thinking its more the format than the boar
For sure rips but what I was saying is in buzzsaw or thing review he mentions only riding twins for last 10 or so years and felt strange etc to ride normal dd or hpsb.