Stretch "The IT"

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
this board had got to be the most difficult model to search.

seen darsh's review at stretch and remember some mention of IT in the stretch pron thread, but at however many thousand of posts weeding through doesnt sound like much fun.

so call me lazy. here's a another unsearchable IT thread.

im thinking of ordering one. what you guys got dimension-wise and what do you like/dont like about the IT?

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Ive had a few of them. Sold one to Littlewave and was prob the best one I had. Didnt love them but I had some compliments riding em. They never felt like I was moving almost like riding thru Gravy.

Got rid of my last one last year and prob shouldn't have as it was bitchen ass. I let Dave do whatever he wanted

1611198077729.png

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
I debated getting one for long paddles out to places like shark pit, and to use for boring mush point break waves. Stretch talked me into getting an 8' compgun instead. I think if you are looking for something with good paddle power for north/lost coast waves, comp gun is a better option. My compgun doesnt look as knifey as the photos on the web site. I think squashing it down to 8' makes it more fun board looking, similar to a sunova 8ball.

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
I debated getting one for long paddles out to places like shark pit, and to use for boring mush point break waves. Stretch talked me into getting an 8' compgun instead. I think if you are looking for something with good paddle power for north/lost coast waves, comp gun is a better option. My compgun doesnt look as knifey as the photos on the web site. I think squashing it down to 8' makes it more fun board looking, similar to a sunova 8ball.
was actually thinking about it more as a summer beachbreak, boring south swell reef board sized 7-0 to 7-4.

i have the longer winter paddles pretty well dialed. stretch def did you a favor steering you away from the full nose and width of an IT. that bar can have a good amount of wind coming up the face when its on. comp gun seems much better suited to the conditions.

and really we dont need to name spots. that bar in particular has become a total shitshow

littlewave

Michael Peterson status
Nov 15, 2009
Orange County
Ive had a few of them. Sold one to Littlewave and was prob the best one I had. Didnt love them but I had some compliments riding em. They never felt like I was moving almost like riding thru Gravy.

Got rid of my last one last year and prob shouldn't have as it was bitchen ass. I let Dave do whatever he wanted

View attachment 104071
I never could click with it. It felt slow paddling and didn’t really grovel shitty beach break.

JTS

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 22, 2004
My buddy gave me a 7’6” , I never gelled with it. Like others have said felt slow - both paddling and riding
Talk to Wayne at Oakfoils about a Dynaglyde or something more suited to what you want

Reactions: doc_flavonoid

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009

seen darsh's review at stretch and remember some mention of IT in the stretch pron thread, but at however many thousand of posts weeding through doesnt sound like much fun.

im thinking of ordering one. what you guys got dimension-wise and what do you like/dont like about the IT?
3x weeks on order for 6'9" x20" x2.5" Buzznose pintail twin CFT medium 2win Future FU custom.fins:shaka:
5'8" 170# almost 51 been surfing upright since I was 12.

Last edited:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
any idea what this means?
I believe bottom is single to double like buzz but most likely due to length more relaxed.
IT
FREAKISHLY FUN MID-LENGTH DESTROYER.
Prices starting at $790

The IT has been the longest continually offered board model in the Stretch line up for good reason. It just plain works! No marketing. No hype. The IT will put a smile on your face in nearly any size range or wave type.
  • Accelerated tail rocker keeps it loose
  • Racey foil for responsive manueverability
  • Paddles like a longboard, slashes like a shortboard
  • Broadest wave range and versatility
  • Available stock sizes 7'0 to 8'0
Buy Now
Found under the feet of young and old, big and tall, novice aspiring ripper or lifelong surfer, if you’ve stayed away from longboards because of their slow maneuverability, heavy set stature and general lack of luster then the IT is likely your wake up call into the realm of rippable boards over 7’ long.
An oxymoron of a surf design, the IT is curvy, sleek and quick while remaining wide, efficient and stable for broad versatility in mediocre to epic surf conditions. The Stinger tail outline blends a narrower tail template for more maneuverability and control and the racey, foiled out rails give precision engagement at speed for laying over on edge.
Best for average beach break conditions to point and reef peelers with carvy walls and strung out sections. An aggressive rocker profile combined with longboard width up front and shortboard sensation off the tail make the IT a sleeper with unlimited usability.
It’s not a downsized longboard or an upsized shortboard. It’s an IT!

Reactions: doc_flavonoid

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
i wonder with a tail pulled from "the thing" if it goes into the buzz series double. my thing was single to vee. great board btw

Reactions: rowjimmytour

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
Yeah, he does the single to double on the bottom. I think the one I had a few years ago was 7'6", and the nose was buzzed, but not the bottom. I had a couple really fun sessions on it, but more often than not frustrated trying to fit it into our bay area beach breaks. "It" seemed like it had to much rocker to grovel, or glide through weak stuff, but then was kind of frustrating in steeper waves to? I do really like the look, and aesthetics of the board, especially in the shorter lengths, it just never worked quite right for me.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Woa... what’s this?? Looks fuunnnn. Is there a shorter version??
I am going 6'9" but think long rail would help for design so bezt not to go to short. The rails are really foiled and has some rocker on both ends.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Rode an It twice (borrowed from a friend in Pacifica).

1 First time at Pleasure Point. Super deluxe at everything I did.

2 Last time at Ocean Beach and it paddled well against the current and catching waves, but headhigh beachbreak didn't seem the best application. Could easily have been just me on that day though.

Same board, same season, same surfer, different spots, and two different feelings.

Inconclusive but if someone said "no fence sitting", I'd say the spot made all the difference, then familiarity with the board.

This version is different than the one I tried....I kinda like this version, but don't need the 'wings'.

Last edited:

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005

Fwiw Stretch has a template for a more classic egg shape. I almost got one after I first moved from SF to San Clemente. I think the version he worked up was 6'0 21 wide and 2.625 at 38L (i may be slightly off on those). I ended up going Gbuzz, but I still have the file he sent. Figure at some point I'll order it. He described it "flat rocker front and back, a very cruisey template".

Realize that's not overly helpful since I have no ride report. But the IT isn't his only option. Cheers

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Fwiw Stretch has a template for a more classic egg shape. I almost got one after I first moved from SF to San Clemente. I think the version he worked up was 6'0 21 wide and 2.625 at 38L (i may be slightly off on those). I ended up going Gbuzz, but I still have the file he sent. Figure at some point I'll order it. He described it "flat rocker front and back, a very cruisey template".

Realize that's not overly helpful since I have no ride report. But the IT isn't his only option. Cheers
I was going to go speed egg with alpha omega bottom and twin set up but went with It buzznose twin set up instead. I am replacing in my quiver mid size board Swiss army knife fun in many conditions and other option instead of longboard or my gbuzz. I had a 6'10 Fineline "MP" 2+1 I loved and rode to death but the It made up my.decision with stinger outline and my memories of a short stubby Aipa RIP stinger single I had in high school.