Stretch Buzzsaw V2 !!

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Finally dialed in the dims and have to say this is my favorite board right now. Maybe ever. Took my quadfish out yesterday and was over it. I used to swear by that thing but buzzsaw is where it’s at. Looking at 2x4 or semi gun for step up

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48343385106_515b85922b_k.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48343384991_d9e5b03c64_k.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48343384251_6a7dae7657_k.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48343525157_3e12b7cf1d_k.jpg

I decided to go down the buzzsaw rabbit hole with rts265, gotta say I'm digging it. I still have to play around with fins, but this board seems like it will be awesome for those glassy late drop Montara mornings. I'm stoked on this one, thanks rts265!!

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Wow, that is a lot of board. Looks super nice.

Def would agree that the buzzsaw is a strangely versatile board for the waves we get around here.

You won't be disappointed. Make sure you play around with fins to find the right mix.

I found the largest fins to work the best in the buzzsaw with its wide tail. Works as a thruster too even though it's mostly intended to be ridden as a quad.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
bigC7 said:

I decided to go down the buzzsaw rabbit hole with rts265, gotta say I'm digging it. I still have to play around with fins, but this board seems like it will be awesome for those glassy late drop Montara mornings. I'm stoked on this one, thanks rts265!!
get some ST2's!

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
kool-aid said:
Wow, that is a lot of board. Looks super nice.

Def would agree that the buzzsaw is a strangely versatile board for the waves we get around here.

You won't be disappointed. Make sure you play around with fins to find the right mix.

I found the largest fins to work the best in the buzzsaw with its wide tail. Works as a thruster too even though it's mostly intended to be ridden as a quad.

Thanks kool-aid, did you try it with the buzztrollers? I love that set in my super buzz, and the tail is even wider on this model, so it seems like it would work? My first surf was with Stretch gen1's as a quad, it was a little stiff, I really had to remember to load up on the trac pad, and manhandle it from the tail. I think a more upright front fin, less rake will help it snap a little easier. What quad set do you like on yours?

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
rts265 said:
bigC7 said:

get some ST2's!
:rockin:
2nd ST2s

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
thekadvang said:
Had my buzzsaw for over 2 years and haven't quite clicked with it... but haven't sold it either. I live in SF and primarily surf central cal beachbreaks (read: not very good waves, often flat faced).

I think the board is a bit misrepresented as a 'daily driver'. It really needs waves with some curve (or size) to get going -- when I've enjoyed it most is in HH barreling style waves. Not so great when the wave is flat and/or smaller. I really only pull it out now when it's pitching and ride a fish as a DD 90% of the time. In those conditions, it's awesome. In early, making steep drops, and full speed on the gas with the big tail and quad setup.

I also have felt (and I think you can see in that video of Darshan) that the big tail with 4 fins is hard to wrap and or snap through turns unless you are a beast a la Nate Fletcher or similar -- I tend to go flat through turns instead of finishing back into the pocket as I imagine.

With that said, it's an awesome travel board. Mine has been buckled (fixed by Stretch's shop) for over a year now and is still going strong.

Like saucerboy, I'm keen to try a thing or skate as a new DD when this one goes...
Myself and my buddy got Thing swallow tails a couple years ago. I didn't click with mine, felt like too much concave in the tail or something just couldn't get it to settle down. Had some fun sessions in like really quality head high waves but never felt like I could trust it in bigger waves and it definitely didn't grovel well. My buddy got on a bit better with his, he's more of a front footed surfer and seems to click with most Stretch's better than I. Still, we both agreed they were not great in smaller or flat faced waves. I think the Skate has more versatility at the low end. I've had a few friends with them and they always looked like they had speed to burn even in weaker waves.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Aruka said:
thekadvang said:
Had my buzzsaw for over 2 years and haven't quite clicked with it... but haven't sold it either. I live in SF and primarily surf central cal beachbreaks (read: not very good waves, often flat faced).

I think the board is a bit misrepresented as a 'daily driver'. It really needs waves with some curve (or size) to get going -- when I've enjoyed it most is in HH barreling style waves. Not so great when the wave is flat and/or smaller. I really only pull it out now when it's pitching and ride a fish as a DD 90% of the time. In those conditions, it's awesome. In early, making steep drops, and full speed on the gas with the big tail and quad setup.

I also have felt (and I think you can see in that video of Darshan) that the big tail with 4 fins is hard to wrap and or snap through turns unless you are a beast a la Nate Fletcher or similar -- I tend to go flat through turns instead of finishing back into the pocket as I imagine.

With that said, it's an awesome travel board. Mine has been buckled (fixed by Stretch's shop) for over a year now and is still going strong.

Like saucerboy, I'm keen to try a thing or skate as a new DD when this one goes...
Myself and my buddy got Thing swallow tails a couple years ago. I didn't click with mine, felt like too much concave in the tail or something just couldn't get it to settle down. Had some fun sessions in like really quality head high waves but never felt like I could trust it in bigger waves and it definitely didn't grovel well. My buddy got on a bit better with his, he's more of a front footed surfer and seems to click with most Stretch's better than I. Still, we both agreed they were not great in smaller or flat faced waves. I think the Skate has more versatility at the low end. I've had a few friends with them and they always looked like they had speed to burn even in weaker waves.
First off let me start by saying all my custom stretch are single to double buzz series then must say I have a grovel buzz just for that grovel and superbuzz daily driver and then buzzsaw as step up good surf. My personal experience is boards have more specific range from stretch but when I show up with gbuzz and surf is bigger it works but not right tool for job.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
I think I said it earlier 3rd buzzsaw was the charm for me. First one didn’t know what I wanted tbh. Second one ordered tail and dims out of my comfort zone. Spent a couple years surfing mostly quadfish. Decided it was time for another stretch. Got a pug and I was just not excited about surfing it. Never thought I’d get another buzzsaw, but kept reading the description and it checks all the boxes. Finally got it right. It’s my daily board. Has a surprisingly low range - and upper range. Ordered a 2x4 for winter.

https://imgur.com/a/yoms8Gi

dirtandrib

OTF status
Jan 24, 2011
NC
If there are any lurkers on this thread from North Carolina interested in a Buzzsaw, I am selling my 5'9 x 19.2 x 2.2 Sk8 deck Buzzsaw. Here's the link to the craigslist ad

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
hummm,,
so width??
how much wider do you guys go? relative to your other boards?
my narrowest board is probably just 19".
I went down as well but my buzzsaw is a step up to my superbuzz to my gbuzz so...
Buzzsaw 19"
Superbuzz 19 .5"
Gbuzz 20 25"

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
a different shaper suggested I try a twin plus trailer setup on the buzzsaw. anyone tried this?

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
I haven't tried it. But, out of curiosity what is it you're trying to get out of this setup?