stretch boards support and board pron thread

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Anyone ever have or ride a larger version of Fletcher 4 as a semi gun? At say OBSF or similar. Example being 7'2" x 19.25 x 2.6. Has the bat tail. Had a 6'4" back in the day held in solid 8 to 12 foot faced LP point swell. Wondering cause I found one on CL that appears to be in good condition. Just wondering about the bat tail and if it might be a tad bit wide.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Anyone ever have or ride a larger version of Fletcher 4 as a semi gun? At say OBSF or similar. Example being 7'2" x 19.25 x 2.6. Has the bat tail. Had a 6'4" back in the day held in solid 8 to 12 foot faced LP point swell. Wondering cause I found one on CL that appears to be in good condition. Just wondering about the bat tail and if it might be a tad bit wide.
No clue bat tail or even f4 at size but had a 5 fin CB swallow semi gun and was suprised how nice it felt in size compared to pintail. Theory seems bat tail would have more hold but tail may be wider if board was ridden as big guy quad. Measure 12" tail and see if doable or not sure would be sweet if shaped for size :shaka: My 5'11" x18.75" 2.375" f4 tail is pulled in handles steep waves very well.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
For sure. I've had some baby swallows on steps, but bat tail is a wide tail which may be fine. It appears to be shaped as a semi, but your right I should get more 411 on it.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
For sure. I've had some baby swallows on steps, but bat tail is a wide tail which may be fine. It appears to be shaped as a semi, but your right I should get more 411 on it.
Like I said my f4 is pulled in battail and for 5'11" can handle some juice I use as back up and travel bord :cheers:

Reactions: SeaFoamGreen

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
View attachment 139825
this has been my go to setup for the superbuzz in small waves up to head high. Controller fronts and a little trailer. I swear It’s magic. Like skating with loose trucks. Really addicting and the wraps are so fast and fun.
I had trouble when I first got my superbuzz and rode it stretch controllers fu#3 quad set felt like I was dragging a anchor:socrazy: Never tried front only with small back fin but did try AMT set with training wheel. I was not impressed but prefer quads over thruster etc but did find stretch thruster set sf3 worked good.

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
Hey any of you could explain what the 5150 would do better than a superbuzz?
I like the buzzsaw. The square one wasnt too good in mush. I never clicked with my skate and my quadfish. Although the skate had moments of magic. But buzzsaw i really like. Maybe because it is properly sized and the wider tail helps in mushy surf.
So im thinking either a 5150 or a properly sized superbuzz. Mine is too small these days but it is such a fun board.
Cheers

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Hey any of you could explain what the 5150 would do better than a superbuzz?
I like the buzzsaw. The square one wasnt too good in mush. I never clicked with my skate and my quadfish. Although the skate had moments of magic. But buzzsaw i really like. Maybe because it is properly sized and the wider tail helps in mushy surf.
So im thinking either a 5150 or a properly sized superbuzz. Mine is too small these days but it is such a fun board.
Cheers
Having both superbuzz geared more daily driver waist to oh 6" below my height and 5150 geared at below average daily driver but not grovel I would say the flex "dft" is unreal super light and speed on mine set up as twin + quad rears moved up "FU 2win fronts FU#2 rears". I did not go +5150 more rocker etc for good waves I wanted my 5150 for waist to hh days soft on take off etc. Like you said about sb after surfing twins I am starting to like more rail now and kinda out grown short and stubby.
Superbuzz 5'2" x19.5" x2.375" thumbtail FU#2 quad set
5150 5'6" x19" x2.25" battail sk8 FU 2win fronts FU#2 rears
Another option @paunch23 is a buzzsaw geared to waves you surfwith longer rails sb concave. I have mine set upas hpsb 5'7" x19" x2.18" sk8 pintail FU#2 quad.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Can we get a 5150 ride report?
Took some time off work to get to know my 5150 better and got a little time with her. First thing noticed easy paddle which I hoped second " built for speed" instant speed when you get up a planing machine. Then while going I got the feel/speed of a twin but also the drive of a quad with the "FU 2win twin set front and FU S1 rears" may have to call this a "twaud". The flex or liveliness of this board is like no other I have owned "first no stringer" and feels great down line. Another thing I noticed surfing low tide waist to shoulder high beach break is how the snub nose just plows thru any thing no problem no speed lost. I am still trying to figure out if speed is from flat bottom and reverse channels or if twin set up w/ rear fins back helps add extra speed. Regardless thanks to Stretch crew for doing this and Miky Picon and Dylan Graves for testing this out. Super stocked with my 5150 right out of box:shaka:

Reactions: cjs2002

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
Short review of the Stretch 2x4, keeping in mind that I'm a regular joe, not someone who will push a board to its max. Had it out at least 15 times now, so I feel that I have a handle on it.

Got my 2x4 in 6'6 step up size at 19 3/4 x 2 3/4. Usually I ride medium fins in my step ups but that felt a bit squirrely so I put in large fins (thruster) and that helped. There are some boards that feel like they're the weapon you want for life and death battles. For me that would be the Tank and the Carrera.

The 2x4 feels a bit more loose, like it's not glued to the face. That could be a good thing or bad thing, depending on how you look at it. 2x4 doesn't inspire confidence in critical sections, but it's very fun to do turns on and has a certain glide factor that feels awfully fun in the right moments.

Actually reading Stretch's website, I see that the 2x4 is advertised as more of a daily driver type board, not a step up/semi gun. That makes sense. Not sure why Stretch shaped me this board? I just emailed him and said I wanted a step up and this is what he recommended. Interesting.

Overall thoughts: fun board, look forward to riding it for a long time. Feels a touch uneasy in the heavy sections, but more fun to rip on than a gunny shape. Legacy construction is bullet proof.

Would bang again, as a shortboard. Also, never tried it as a quad. Might give that a go at some point.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Short review of the Stretch 2x4, keeping in mind that I'm a regular joe, not someone who will push a board to its max. Had it out at least 15 times now, so I feel that I have a handle on it.

Got my 2x4 in 6'6 step up size at 19 3/4 x 2 3/4. Usually I ride medium fins in my step ups but that felt a bit squirrely so I put in large fins (thruster) and that helped. There are some boards that feel like they're the weapon you want for life and death battles. For me that would be the Tank and the Carrera.

The 2x4 feels a bit more loose, like it's not glued to the face. That could be a good thing or bad thing, depending on how you look at it. 2x4 doesn't inspire confidence in critical sections, but it's very fun to do turns on and has a certain glide factor that feels awfully fun in the right moments.

Actually reading Stretch's website, I see that the 2x4 is advertised as more of a daily driver type board, not a step up/semi gun. That makes sense. Not sure why Stretch shaped me this board? I just emailed him and said I wanted a step up and this is what he recommended. Interesting.

Overall thoughts: fun board, look forward to riding it for a long time. Feels a touch uneasy in the heavy sections, but more fun to rip on than a gunny shape. Legacy construction is bullet proof.

Would bang again, as a shortboard. Also, never tried it as a quad. Might give that a go at some point.
2x4 and 2x4 step up:shrug: The 2x4 is hpsb and step up has a few adds below. Sounds like you need a set of fins unlimited #2 quad set or if you want to use in step up get the #2 set "step up, gun set":cheers:

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005

I haven’t actually tried mine yet, since we haven’t seen a wave over 4ft here in a month. But I was surprised how wide the tail block was on my 2x4 (6’1 20 wide). I’m sure it can handle whatever Orange County throws at it and then some. But its definitely noticeably wider than my Sharpeye.

This string is dominated by stretch super fans (which I include myself) so I don’t think anyone comes out and says it, but there’s just a higher chance of a miss on stretch boards. The string has all sorts of people who tried this model or that model a few times and couldn’t make it work. The upside is if you can find your magic ride it will last a decade. My PU RNF is going to be dead in a few more months. But you don’t get the same kind of miss ratio on say the Stamps thread for example. C’est la vie

dirtandrib

OTF status
Jan 24, 2011
NC
I haven’t actually tried mine yet, since we haven’t seen a wave over 4ft here in a month. But I was surprised how wide the tail block was on my 2x4 (6’1 20 wide). I’m sure it can handle whatever Orange County throws at it and then some. But its definitely noticeably wider than my Sharpeye.

This string is dominated by stretch super fans (which I include myself) so I don’t think anyone comes out and says it, but there’s just a higher chance of a miss on stretch boards. The string has all sorts of people who tried this model or that model a few times and couldn’t make it work. The upside is if you can find your magic ride it will last a decade. My PU RNF is going to be dead in a few more months. But you don’t get the same kind of miss ratio on say the Stamps thread for example. C’est la vie
That might be true - a higher ratio of misses compared to say Stamps - but I have simply not had a missed Stretch board. I have also worked on the same bottom contour platform - Buzz models and 2x4 and F4 before that - and I found they all worked for me. This is just my anecdotes. I also have never ordered a custom. I have always bought second hand or boards for sale through Stretch or once when Real Water Sports was letting some go for 500.

I have not tried direct order from shapers other than Stretch, I mainly go through shops or second hand, so I may not be a fair one to compare. I would be interested to hear other Stretch customers give their feedback though.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
That might be true - a higher ratio of misses compared to say Stamps - but I have simply not had a missed Stretch board. I have also worked on the same bottom contour platform - Buzz models and 2x4 and F4 before that - and I found they all worked for me. This is just my anecdotes. I also have never ordered a custom. I have always bought second hand or boards for sale through Stretch or once when Real Water Sports was letting some go for 500.

I have not tried direct order from shapers other than Stretch, I mainly go through shops or second hand, so I may not be a fair one to compare. I would be interested to hear other Stretch customers give their feedback though.
This is why every time I order a new custom I follow this protocol sending email for quote:
Board model including height, width, thickness, tail, ? sk8 deck, and fins.
Ideal location(s) and condition(s) for said model including wave range etc.
Current age, height, weight, and years surfing.
Uf you answer all above honest and very detailed I really think hard for stretch factory to make you a dud and only hiccup I have had after 6 customs is ordering my superbuzz I got the FU#3 "stretch controllers" and fins felt like a anchor on my sb. After trying AMT "no good" and then ST3 " stretch honey comb" which did work but I wanted a quad not a thruster. I ordered a gbuzz next and decided to order FU#2 after consulting with stretch team. I switched FU#2 with FU#3 for gbuzz and used FU#2 for sb. I never while home take fins out of boards and now proud owner of fcs: x2 FU#2 5 fin set, FU#2 quad semi/gun, and FU#3 quad controllers. Future: 2x FU 2win, and FU#1 quad set.
:cheers:

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
2x4 and 2x4 step up:shrug: The 2x4 is hpsb and step up has a few adds below. Sounds like you need a set of fins unlimited #2 quad set or if you want to use in step up get the #2 set "step up, gun set":cheers:
Yeah sorry, must be the step up version. The logo on the back just says 2x4.

I have those #2 fins but they're in my Insanity and I'm loving them. And I didn't really mean my review to be negative. I like the way the 2x4 feels as a trusty. Great glide factor, very fun.