stretch boards support and board pron thread

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Oh for sure, just cut my emojis out and make it seem like I don't understand punctuation. Thanks erBB.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Is the Fletcher Four Fin what the 2x4 is modeled after?
2X4HIGH PERFORMANCE CONTROL IN SMALL TO MEDIUM SIZED WAVES

Prices starting at $750

The 2x4 features similar characteristics to what you would find in the daily driver aspects of the Fletcher Four-fin but also features double barrel concaves in the tail that allow it to make quicker rail to rail transitions.

Buy Now

Single to double concave destabilizes the rear end for fast rail to rail transitionsSlightly pugged nose increases rail line and surface area up front for increased paddle power and stabilityComes as 5-fin convertible for maximum versatility and varying wave conditionsOrder 2-3” shorter than your everyday shortboard

* SK8 DECK OPTION AVAILABLE

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Bought a Firefly off cl when I got into quads. Figured I should try one from one of the quadfathers. Loose. Then it took me about 2 years to figure out that I needed way more fin area on quads.

Reactions: jkb

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
fletcher four fin more less became the Thing. But not exactly. I'm sure you can still order the Fletcher four fin.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Bought a Firefly off cl when I got into quads. Figured I should try one from one of the quadfathers. Loose. Then it took me about 2 years to figure out that I needed way more fin area on quads.
Same thing happened to me. After unweighting my bottom turns to head up the face, the ass end would slide out on me. Unfortunately, it had glass-ons so I couldn't play with the fins. Had to sell the board.

Reactions: ghostshaper

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
GS, your idea of “not enough fin area” might be different than some other folks ;)

I always have my eye out for used a firefly or fletcher 4.

Reactions: ghostshaper

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
GS, your idea of “not enough fin area” might be different than some other folks ;)

I always have my eye out for used a firefly or fletcher 4.
Had a couple clones from Gary Linden, 2007ish. Diamond tail instead of the bat thing, but they still had the groove in the rail for...I dunno, grip? Loved those boards. I did not experience any sliding out, but that could be because I've always used large template fins. Occy's and the like. I put front foot pads on the two boards like Christian fletcher, but I've never even close to landed an air.
Gary Linden is an awesome guy. He would answer all of my questions and talk on the phone about design as long as I wanted to, and I was just a kid who sold a handful of his boards a year. And he charges too. Probably still make you a sweet one if you aren't too attached to getting a stretch or cole.

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
2x4 vs. Thing v2?

Who here has ridden both, pro's , con's, etc., I'm trying to decide on one or the other.

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
2x4 vs. Thing v2?

Who here has ridden both, pro's , con's, etc., I'm trying to decide on one or the other.
Currently have a 6'0" 2x4 and a 5'10" thing.

2x4 is a true good wave board -- I don't enjoy riding it unless it's head high and throwing. Doesn't like a bigger flat wave either (we get a lot of those here).

Thing has way more range -- not a groveller but will go in smaller or less shapely surf. Feels good when it picks up as well.

IMO unless you live Hawaii, Puerto, etc. the Thing is way more useful.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
2x4 vs. Thing v2?

Have only ridden a 2x4...picked mine up at a garage sale a few years back. 7 footer.

More floaty than I like for a board, but at the same time, I do like the paddling boost the thickness provides.

Anyway, now that I've put some more time in with it, I really do enjoy the utility factor. Thickness helps when the waves are big yet soft or have some choppiness to them, but maybe this is just me getting up earlier. Like with any board suited for some power, it seems to work better when I can put the board in the pocket or curve of the wave...holds( and goes well with) a high line much better than sliding along towards the bottom of the face.

The outline of the Thing seems more versatile, but that is only one part of the equation.

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
I've had both. But my 2x4 is the step up file so it's not a fair comparison. The Thing is definitely closer to a one board quiver and still holds in overhead surf very well. Whereas, my 2x4 is obviously for legit good waves. That said, very few boards have felt better when the waves are good than the 2x4.