stretch boards support and board pron thread

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Currently getting a quote from shop for a 2x4 step up sk8 swallow tail 6'3" 18.75" 2.25" wondering what fins for step up or do the fu#2 work good which I have two sets. Also anyone go CFT heavy for non semi gun or buzzgun and any thoughts? I was thinking heavy for winds because my.CFT medium boards which are on small size get blown around but do get down face on 8-12 mph winds.

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
Anyone here riding a "Lil buddy?" I'm kinda looking at this model and wondered if anyone had any thoughts or experiences with it, compared to a 2x4 or a Thing V2?

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Currently getting a quote from shop for a 2x4 step up sk8 swallow tail 6'3" 18.75" 2.25" wondering what fins for step up or do the fu#2 work good which I have two sets. Also anyone go CFT heavy for non semi gun or buzzgun and any thoughts? I was thinking heavy for winds because my.CFT medium boards which are on small size get blown around but do get down face on 8-12 mph winds.
Stretch went all 6oz with my 2x4 when I asked for a winter board. Can't tell much of a difference, definitely no negative effect - I just keep bringing it on the wrong days. ST2's all the way.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Stretch went all 6oz with my 2x4 when I asked for a winter board. Can't tell much of a difference, definitely no negative effect - I just keep bringing it on the wrong days. ST2's all the way.
Did he go 1/4" stringer as well or do all 6oz on 1/8"?

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
hey,,,,does the buzzsaw not work in beach breaks?
i really like the fuller outline , especially on the newer versions, but i hear it has an aggressive rocker. anybody ever tried a "mellower" version of a buzzsaw??? i'm getting tired of my quad fish. vi'm looking for something a bit more snappy.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
i really like the fuller outline , especially on the newer versions, but i hear it has an aggressive rocker. anybody ever tried a "mellower" version of a buzzsaw??? i'm getting tired of my quad fish. vi'm looking for something a bit more snappy.
its not an aggressive rocker - at all. I too was hooked on my quadfish - to the point I felt like a beginner on any board not fish like. I tried to get off the qf on a round pin buzzsaw, that was too much of a transition. sold it. went through a few other boards, got another buzzsaw with an exra inch of pug and a bat tail, quadfish hasn't seen the water since. don't be afraid to get dims you are comfortable with. My qf is 21.5 wide, buzzsaw 21 1/4, handles almost all surf I want to paddle out in.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
My buzzsaw is my superbuzz step up for good beachbreak up to DOH comes in at 5'7" 19" 2.18" sk8 pintail inspired after seeing a quiver shot of Nathan Fletcher North Shore buzzsaws:)

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
I emailed Dylan about the logic of getting a stretched out Superbuzz for bigger waves (like head to a little overhead), logic being the wider nose hopefully facilitating earlier entry vs. slightly narrower Buzzsaw. Stretch said it makes sense, but any anecdotal evidence from y'all?

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
I emailed Dylan about the logic of getting a stretched out Superbuzz for bigger waves (like head to a little overhead), logic being the wider nose hopefully facilitating earlier entry vs. slightly narrower Buzzsaw. Stretch said it makes sense, but any anecdotal evidence from y'all?

I think when you stretch out a superbuzz, you kinda end up with a 2x4? They are both rad boards for sure, I've had both, but if your looking for a board with more of an upper range, go buzzsaw.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
My superbuzz is set for dd on high side goes good from 3'-OH+ punchy beachbreak. I am 5'8" 170#'s my superbuzz is 5'2" 19.5" 2 375" quad thumbtail fu#2 and buzzsaw is 5'7" 19" 2.18" sk8 quad pintail fu#2 made for 4'-DOH. I would keep the SB short 6" if comfortable board design is made to throw around skate like and drop in under hook. Once you get used to problem solved and more fun:) I also have gbuzz for grovel but also is fun up to HH+ 5'2" 20 25" 2.375" sk8 diamondtail fu#3.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I think when you stretch out a superbuzz, you kinda end up with a 2x4? They are both rad boards for sure, I've had both, but if your looking for a board with more of an upper range, go buzzsaw.
IDIOSYNCRATIC PROGENY OF MR. BUZZ CHOCK-FULL OF DAILY DRIVER AWESOMENESS.

The Buzzsaw is the link between Mr. Buzz and a standard performance shortboard. Nathan Fletcher introduced the world to Mr. Buzz with it’s non-conforming contours, outline and foil never before seen in a contemporary high performance shortboard. Those looking to get “Buzzed” without the hangover opted for the Super Buzz which served as the user friendly short and wide little rocket of a daily driver. Even still, there are those who don’t prefer to ride something as short.

The Buzzsaw has Mr. Buzz DNA but is designed for those who want to stay within the comfort zone of their familiar every day go-to shortboard. Since the Buzzsaw isn’t designed to be ridden short like Mr. Buzz or Super Buzz, it retains familiar paddling and a dependable performance rocker.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Thing V2 felt like a fairly standard HPSB, at least in the dims I got. Pretty foiled out rails. Moderate rocker. Really deep concave. Felt like too much lift through the tail for me. Best sessions I had were in decent sized, flatter faced waves. When it got steep and juicy I had trouble getting it to settle down, even with big fins. Most stretch's catch waves really well but this one didn't impress me in that regard for whatever reason. My friend got one at the same time, more squashed down dims and he liked it in smaller surf but once he got his Grinder X he never rode it again.

Between Thing V2 and Lil Buddy I prefer Lil Buddy. I think it was better all around.

The best Stretch thruster I've ridden was the old S2. I had one a couple inches over my height. Great board, really drivey rocker and precise rails.

Reactions: retodd and teeroi

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Anyone getting Buzz Guns for the Winter? A friend down here has one. Board looks perfect for chasing down big peaks.

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
its not an aggressive rocker - at all. I too was hooked on my quadfish - to the point I felt like a beginner on any board not fish like. I tried to get off the qf on a round pin buzzsaw, that was too much of a transition. sold it. went through a few other boards, got another buzzsaw with an exra inch of pug and a bat tail, quadfish hasn't seen the water since. don't be afraid to get dims you are comfortable with. My qf is 21.5 wide, buzzsaw 21 1/4, handles almost all surf I want to paddle out in.
cool man(y). i seem to be wanting to use my quad fish in everything. and it does work in everything. actually. But yeah sometimes i guess you want the quickness and versatility you can get out of a shortboard. nothing feels better than a good turn on a shortboard. Crap... maybe i'm just having some issues with the quadfin setup.

i also have a thing V2. that board is amazing and it goes. doesn't like mush, like all hpsb i guess hehe. thats why i was thinking maybe the stubbier buzzsaw would handle better in mushy surf.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
The buzzsaw in my experience has a surprisingly good lower range. It “just goes” vs the thing. I found the thing needs rider input immediately in softer waves the buzzsaw will get going with minimal input more similar to the quadfish.

Reactions: johnson7

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
The buzzsaw in my experience has a surprisingly good lower range. It “just goes” vs the thing. I found the thing needs rider input immediately in softer waves the buzzsaw will get going with minimal input more similar to the quadfish.
I think all buzz boards and other models can be custom to run high or low end just have to be honest and give details what kind of surf etc you plan to surf with given board. I am on stretch bandwagon so have quiver from 1' to DOH and soon fill bigger with river like rip....

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I just got a response for my 2x4 step up and was suprised at no more fcs fusion boxes and was told any thing under 20" wide would not be good for sk8 deck. I have a buzzsaw which is 19" sk8 deck and rail channels I love and feel the control I have is insane after testing on a big beachbreak day coming out of barrel I went straight up vertical face and got a nice off the top in and came flying down face full speed and control. I am waiting for answer why stretch does not like the idea.