stretch boards support and board pron thread

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
will he do bamboo on complex bottoms?

no pinlines on that composition is pretty bold!

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
What do you want next from the stretch one :shrug:
I want a big cheese 9' nose rider single fin with pin tail and extra heavy eps tech glass job and maybe skate deck but more like the yater bat boards from the past. Also if I could I would like to get a three stringer (bamboo) marko blank :wave2:

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
BFilk said:
Do you still wax that cork or is it tacky enough when wet to provide enough grip?
The cork is under the glass, so the board still needs to be waxed like other boards.

saucerboy

Nep status
Aug 10, 2009
Santa Cruz
Aruka said:
I did a review in this thread:LINK

The condensed version is it took me a little while to dial in fins but once I did I really liked it. The rocker curve is amazing in that it catches waves like a flat stub but carves like a HPSB. I think the double concave that runs from the center of the board threw me off a little being a more backfooted surfer. For being a "small" wave board it seemed to really want some push to come alive. I rode long period DOH waves on it and never really felt like I hit it's limit.

I sold it recently to my best buddy who was going to Puerto spur of the moment and was basically begging me for a couple good boards. It always was a little porky for me and I have so many boards in that size range (6-3) that it wasn't getting much use.

He just got back yesterday, said he got super shacked on the Buddy and he was glad for the wave catching ability of it because of the crowds at a certain left point.

I sort of regret selling it because I really did have some great sessions on it but at the same time there's nothing stopping me from getting another one with a few tweaks down the road.

Full Dims: 6-3 x 19.5 x 2.4

N:12"

T:14.75"
Thanks for the link. Just read through that thread, lots of good stuff in there. The LB is definitely one of the boards I'm considering adding to the quiver for the fall.

BFilk

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jun 30, 2014
OC CA
J_D_J said:
BFilk said:
Do you still wax that cork or is it tacky enough when wet to provide enough grip?
The cork is under the glass, so the board still needs to be waxed like other boards.
Thx, thought maybe it was like the Lost C3 boards where the carbon is exposed. You notice a difference in float/flex at all or too early to tell?

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
It's too early to tell, but I'll report back once I've had enough sessions to form an opinion. The cork bamboo has a great feel under the arm.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
rts265 said:
good, I can stop bothering dave and kyle, I think those guys are sick of me!
You think this is your cork/bamboo board?

I certainly hope it is mine. If it is not, well, that is ok too, because I know mine is in the works.

What are dimensions of this board...that should tell the story.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Driftcoast said:
That is what people are call a gun now a days right?

It is, what, a six foot six inch "beast" of a board? And all of 17 inches wide?

No matter which erBBer from Socal rides it in the dangerously punishing perfect points of Santa Barbara at head high, the cork deck and bamboo bottom look pretty good. Down there it will probably last a good long time.

How much those things run from the bro deals?
If this is my board, I did not get a bro-deal (I sort of hate bro deals because it means my full price pays for someone else's free ride). Cost me less than $1200, but more than $1100.

If this is my board, Stretch called it a semi-gun, which I think is accurate. I did not not get it to replace my 8'6".

It better not be 17 inches wide if it is my board.

While I think it would plenty of fun in point breaks, I'll probably not ride it at many of them...for that matter, it probably won't see many days at Santa Cruz, but rather have most of the water time within the confines of 4 miles of worth of beach break (and really only two of that).

saucerboy

Nep status
Aug 10, 2009
Santa Cruz
BFilk said:
Thx, thought maybe it was like the Lost C3 boards where the carbon is exposed. You notice a difference in float/flex at all or too early to tell?
I have a cork/bamboo 2x4 and I've noticed that it feels a little more damped than the standard stretch construction. Even in bigger days with a bit of chop on the face it feels smooth. Maybe it's all in my head though.

It also feels slightly heavier than what I would expect the regular construction to weigh. Again, might be in my head. It's definitely not heavy, just not quite as light as the regular.

BFilk

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jun 30, 2014
OC CA
Sounds like a good option for a "poly" weight/dampning but in a more durable construction. I love EPS durability and stretch's w/sk8 minimizes alot of that chatter but there are still some realy windy/choppy days when it comes thru. Thx for the info :wave2:

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
not my board :shameonyou:

I just tend to ask way too many questions when ordering

chrisolden

Miki Dora status
Sep 4, 2007
Room 429
For the other end of the spectrum from the G-Buzz...

Buzz Gun
8'2"x21.5"x3.25"
Thanks Stretch!!!
(jeez I hope we have a decent winter)

Jul 28, 2014
Mr Doof said:
rts265 said:
good, I can stop bothering dave and kyle, I think those guys are sick of me!
You think this is your cork/bamboo board?

I certainly hope it is mine. If it is not, well, that is ok too, because I know mine is in the works.

What are dimensions of this board...that should tell the story.
it's yours
just tracked it down and it looks like it might be done
don't want to bug the sander to ask tho

Jul 28, 2014
7'0 19.25 2.625 @ the stringer w/ 2.4 rail ooooh la la baby

7'0 20 3 ob tamer

board's done doof. lemme know when you you wanna come and get her

:wave2:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
spprtstrch said:
7'0 20 3 ob tamer

board's done doof. lemme know when you you wanna come and get her

:wave2:
Done?! Extra YAY! :cheers: :beer:

The genesis of this board starts with the 7'0" I had made by John Schultz of San Francisco. I gave him a 7'6" blank, some fins, and asked him to make a three fin bonzer and gave him an old photo of me with an much older Bing bonzer to use as a rough guide.

A darn good board came of that, but there have been moments when I needed more from it (or maybe it needed more from me). So I called ahead, arranged a meeting, and brought this board and more or less said, "I want a better version of this board."

A bit of conversation ensued, and in the end, I put $500 down for at least a 7"0" x 20" with cork and bamboo and four fins. I didn't given him much other detail other than basic Mr Doof dimensions, where i surf, honest estimate of skill (moments of brilliance out-shined by long periods of paddling and too much office work and crappy San Francisco winds). He said he'd make it 7'1" put a better rail design on it, make it much lighter (he winced when he picked up the board I brought in), and improve the rocker.

I said great, he wrote it up, gave me a receipt, and when it was done I'd get a call (your post counts as a call).

I'll double check things but I think this Saturday morning is clear....what time does the factory open?

Looking forward to having a more suitable board for the medium sized waves than the Country Surfboard board:

PS
If I have some hobby photographer luck this coming fall/winter while on the Stretch board, I'll put it up here...

PPS
Thanks for the photos! :bowdown:

PPS
I should point out that John Schultz made me exactly the board I told him to make me: durable (double 6 oz on top, single 6 oz on bottom, gloss coat) and make it to ride in all manner of surf, and really needs to help me paddle to track down the sets. There is something great in the flow/glide with that board when you are banking it off the top and diving down the face.