Stretch 2win Fish * Board Review *

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
I’ve been meaning to post an in-depth review of my 2win fish for a while and now finally have the time.

If you don’t read anything else, this board ruined the rest of my quiver for me for almost any kind of wave up to overhead. If the waves aren’t micro longboardable or overhead+ this is the board I grab 99% of the time.

The Board

Board is 5’3” x 19.5” x 2.2” (so really 2.3 with the skate deck). Volume is 29.2L and I am 5’9” and weigh 155. I live in SF and so most of my sessions are at Ocean Beach. I’ve been surfing since middle school but grew up south of the city, so my surfing tends more towards ability to tolerate bad waves and paddle a lot then ripping.

I’ve been into Stretch’s boards for a while and like riding shorter boards -- my “daily driver” boards before this were a 5’2” super buzz and a 5’8” buzzsaw. I got a 5’2” Stamps Indo Fish off CL that was more of a retro, heavy glassed board with big keels and full rails and rode it into the ground. I wanted a board with that same twin speed and freedom but that I could rip a little more and so went to Stretch.

Ordering from Stretch (this was my 3rd custom from him) was rad as always -- he was stoked to do the quadfish model with a twin fin setup as I asked, recommended a single wing to tighten up turns because I surf beachbreak most of the time, and did a custom-sized sk8 deck for my size 9.5 feet. He suggested dims as the same as a fish he just made for William Allioti who’s my size and with some loose guidance on my part Sandy came up with an insane spray and we were off. Glassed CFT standard with futures boxes.

Hard to describe boards in writing, but it’s a dope interpretation of a traditional beaky-nosed fish filtered thru Stretch’s brain. Way more parallel rails and less outline curve than a traditional fish, low but not super low rails and a really nice almost pinched 50/50 esque rail thru the entry. Full volume through the nose, low entry rocker and a foiled tail with some kick. Vee to single to vee with pretty subtle single.

This board is for sure a testament to the way Stretch builds boards -- I got it in April 2017 and beyond dings from rocks, etc. and the one time I dropped an elbow into the board it looks pristine -- and I surf a lot.

Okay, how’s it go?

I’ve ridden this board in everything from knee-high micro drainers to overhead outer bar ocean beach and it really is a one-board quiver. Ocean beach is a uniquely frustrating place to surf because the waves usually change super quickly as all the water drains in or out of the bay, so it's hard to predict (unless its actually big, really small etc.) what the waves will be like at any given time. Being able to grab one board and know it’s going to work for me regardless is a huge advantage. It’s a small board but it’s really forgiving to surf: both the wider outline and the twin means I can put my feet in not exactly the right spot and still get speed and make turns.
The most noticeable attribute of this board is for sure the speed and glide it has -- either to make turns in grovel waves or make sections when it’s bigger. It’s pretty addicting and makes even getting on quads (all my stepups, etc. are 4 fins) feel slow. Stretch’s entry rocker is also magic and I can either scratch into tiny waves or get into bigger ones early on a regular basis, which always feels good, helps me set up the wave, gain speed, and surf it better.

Grovelling

It’s definitely not a true groveller in the sense that I think fish need some space to open up -- it’s not going to do little pocket wraps on 1 foot waves. We rarely get conditions like that anyway, and even when it’s gutless the board has easy entry and goes fast enough to surf. I have a mid-length, longboard, and mini-simmons and I still surf this board most of the time.

Daily driver conditions

Even not overhead waves for us can require substantially more paddling than anywhere else and for a 5’3” it’s a paddle machine. Low entry with a lot of volume under the chest means I can paddle against the current easily and catch a bunch of waves. Also conditions here outside of fall are generally bad (read onshore winds) and so I surf a lot in bumpy waves. Once again the board is really easy to surf -- the rails and vee in the entry means it rarely catches and speed lets me surf weird waves and still try to perform.

Doing turns on this board rarely fails to bring a smile to my face. From waist to overhead the board just feels good -- and once I got fins figured out it goes really well backside too. The board almost never leaves a turn without speed and is loose without feeling squirrely or lacking drive.

It’s definitely got way more rippability than a normal fish -- it’s rare that I can’t square up into the lip (as much as my own capabilities allow) or try to push the board through a turn as hard as possible. I rarely feel limited by the board except in super tight little draining waves or pockets where it’s hard to surf vertically compared to a 3-fin shortboard.

Good waves

Hands down the most fun I have ever had on clean (or not clean) head-high to overhead rippable waves. Small board but takes off with confidence and the feeling of riding such a little skateboard on an overhead wall is just insane. High lines, full wraps and just going crazy fast is the best feeling ever.

Really good barrel board as well in “easy” barrels -- high speed and looseness in the tube makes it go good. I’ve pushed it a couple times and if it’s really throwing or hard offshore it’s hard to surf well. The major negative with this board and barrels is the speed -- we have short little tubes here most of the time and outrunning the wave because I didn’t take off deep enough is a problem.

Fins yo!

I’ve ridden the board with the following fins (in ascending order of dopeness):
  • *Al Merrick Twins: no drive, no good​
  • *True Ames Twins: same as the AMT really, i think needed more fin​
  • *Futures K2 Keels: these felt really good frontside, not great backside
    *Stepanek High-Speed Paddle Keels: really cool twangy energy load/release, good frontside and backside, super stony feel, would ride these more if I lived somewhere with longer and more predictable waves​
  • *Lovelace Piggyback Keels: thought these were the best until I rode the Ellis Twins, board felt amazing except turns were a little more drawn out than I wanted for beachies, I ride them in point surf​
  • *Alkali Ellis Twins: the sh!t. Fishy feel but can still push on the board without the weird tendency some twins/fishes have to break free in a horizontal way (could be because they have an inside foil). Plenty of glide/drive and tighter arcs. I mess around with other fins and always go back​

Magic board

This board is hands-down the best board I have ever ordered/ridden. It’s inspired me to sell all my thrusters/quads and move to twins entirely (I have a 5’10” 2win “shortboard” on order) until the waves get bigger.

I will ride this board until it breaks and re-order the exact same thing as soon as it does. Thank you Stretch and team.

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Great review!

I had a Stretch quad fish a couple years ago. Winged swallow, very similar looking outline. It was a good one but a little oversized for me and once I got my Stamps Banjo twin I never looked back so I sold it to a good friend who's been ripping on it for the past two years. He is as hard on boards as a person could be and the thing is still going strong.

I don't love the AMT fins either. No drive. The True Ames twins on the other hand I dig but I always seem to come back around to keels for my fish. Those Alkalai's look great, will have to see if I can find a set.

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA
Really good write up and cool board. I'm looking for something like that. Are you saying this is actually a Quadfish with just 2 fin boxes, or is this actually the 2win Fish, or are they the same? I'm just confused. I would love to order a board just like this, except maybe 1-2 liters more floaty.

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
I'll jump on the band wagon too, great review! I saw you shredding Montara on a chunky day, I think it was right after you got it.

Reactions: thekadvang

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
how does it compare to Stretchs actual quad fish?
is it just a different fin placement? i own a quad fish and got some merrick keels i'm gonna try on it. at some point. when we're allowed back on the beach:drowning:
Really good write up and cool board. I'm looking for something like that. Are you saying this is actually a Quadfish with just 2 fin boxes, or is this actually the 2win Fish, or are they the same? I'm just confused. I would love to order a board just like this, except maybe 1-2 liters more floaty.
So when I ordered, I literally asked: "can you do a quadfish with twin placement" and they said "sure!" I didn't ask, but I don't think they made any other changes to the board to match the different fin setup -- pretty sure quadfish and 2win fish are the same minus number of fins.

This was also 3 years ago, so entirely possible they have made some changes since then.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
This review is exactly how I feel about my Stamps Banjo, except the durability. It's good but it's not CFT. I would love to try this concept with a skate deck. Thanks for the stock!

Reactions: Aruka

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
Killer review. Thanks for taking the time to post it (3 years later, damn!)...wish more people would.
Board looks and sounds like a blast and impressive it's holding up so well as a DD.
Cheers!

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
How far up are the fins on 2win set up? Did you get your 2win and did Stretch use same fin placement from tail?

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
I tried my friends quad fish and just loved it. (waves were kinda good that day too)
I ordered one just like it. turns out, for some reason it does not feel the same. for one thing, my board is heavier and, it just rides different. mines harder to turn.... idk. so yeah stretchs quad fish is a cool design. my friends quad fish, not mine:shrug:

smithgrind

Nep status
Dec 25, 2009
PNW
I tried my friends quad fish and just loved it. (waves were kinda good that day too)
I ordered one just like it. turns out, for some reason it does not feel the same. for one thing, my board is heavier and, it just rides different. mines harder to turn.... idk. so yeah stretchs quad fish is a cool design. my friends quad fish, not mine:shrug:
Same quad fins as your friend's? Which construction?