Strange question, does foil surfing require a lot of planter strength

Apr 30, 2018
I tore my Achilles’ tendon in my back foot...I can hold about half the weight of my front foot, planter strength is like when u do a cal raise to stand on your toes... I can surf. Heel side not effected toe side I have to be mellow on turns...I know this is a strange question, before I buy a foil setup I would like some input please...very apreciated...

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I'm not 100% sure of the answer for you. When you're standing and riding on the board you're trying to stay very balanced over the center line and the movements are quite subtle. There are strong g-forces involved when you are doing 3 second long carves though.

Since it's your backfoot that would be more of an issue. Watch some video's of people pumping and watch their back foot. It does go up on it's toes a bit. The pressure is pretty light though. More of an unweight, than a push down.

http://instagr.am/p/CAL_6BejAXq/

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
It's not like doing squats. It is very cardio intense though. The best example I've heard when trying to explain pumping is it's like doing leg lifts while hanging from a bar. It's equally balanced. Not really like an ollie on a skateboard where one leg obviously comes up first. Much more even.

Reactions: Topmick