Strained Popliteus

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
Hey guys,

Anyone here have any experience with this injury, and what your recovery/rehab was ? I'm pretty sure I did it with KB swings, it definitely popped out like a golf ball, and the knee swelled up, there might be a shot of a meniscus tear too. Yup good times, I've had a couple of acupuncture treatments, and laid off everything for a couple of weeks, and it seems to be feeling better.

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
Any of the injuries in the posterior popliteal region and calf can be long and slow in the healing process and subject to aggravation and chronicity. Basically, it is hard to rest and the soft tissues prone to swelling from gravity and use. Go easy and give it plenty of time to heal. Hard to do for a few weeks as we become eager and antsy to get back in the thick of things.

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
Thank you Doc!

It's definitely slow going, but trying to make the most of it. I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised with the relief I've gotten from acupuncture (my first time doing it,) also my brother in law showed me a couple of banded distraction stretches, that on the surface seemed to provide some immediate relief. This stuff is all new to me, but I'm definitely curious, albeit skeptical at the same time. I remember not long ago people thought foam rolling was gonna cure cancer too, I'm curious what you think of muscle flossing? Thanks again Doc, and happy new year!

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
And here I though Popliteus was a paternal inflammation.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Hey guys,

Anyone here have any experience with this injury, and what your recovery/rehab was ? I'm pretty sure I did it with KB swings, it definitely popped out like a golf ball, and the knee swelled up, there might be a shot of a meniscus tear too. Yup good times, I've had a couple of acupuncture treatments, and laid off everything for a couple of weeks, and it seems to be feeling better.
It sounds like this is an overuse injury that developed over time vs a traumatic event??? If this is an overuse injury, like from kettlebell swings over time you can be a little more aggressive in your rehab. If you can walk without much discomfort take some short ones and increase distance as tolerable. It's important initially to stay on level ground...avoid inclines and things like hiking. As the Doc mentioned...if you develop tendinopathy it's going to be a real bear to get rid of.

Unless you really love kettlebells I would avoid them all together. There's better (and safer) ways to get aerobic and anaerobic training in. If you really like them, add some weight and reduce the volume. There's no physical benefit to high repetition training like this. The challenge can be fun but the physical benefits are extremely limited.

Most importantly you need to keep blood flowing to the area. Light activity is best for this and should begin as soon as you are physically able to tolerate it.. As you feel better start working in some additional activity..air squats at first...goblet squats with your kettle bells will work as well. Start with a light weight at around 20 reps...increase weight and reduce reps over time and you'll be good as new.

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
Thanks VonMeister, yeah it's definitely an overuse injury.

It's not that I really love kettlebells, but it's all could find for home exercise equipment, and I jumped on looking for stuff last February (hard to believe it's been almost a year.) Anyway being a lifelong gym rat, I had to trade my traditional barbell training to kettlebells, bands, and a weight vest. To be honest I was, and still am intrigued by the kettlebells. Don't get me wrong, I'd still much rather have a squat rack, and a bench, but...when life gives you lemons, gotta make lemonade.

I haven't started any direct leg work yet, but am doing some band walking, air squats, and some walking lunges, with the muscle flossing. Everything is actually starting to feel better, so I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing for a month, and see how I feel. I don't think I'm really embracing my little rehab/prehab program I've got going, but I'm accepting it, and found some cool therapies along the way.