stomp pad on a 7'5" middie?

Topazslider

OTF status
Jan 9, 2018
dims are 7'5"x22 3/4x2 3/4" with either a quad, thruster, or single fin setup ( I am 6'1" 240 lbs). I asked the shaper to make a middie that rides like a shortboard for the smaller days, cause I realize that I will never shred like Kolohe. I don't plan on throwing airs or getting pitted, so do I really need a stomp pad? I haven't ridden it yet due to the lockdown.

Mar 27, 2019
Somewhere
I don't plan on throwing airs or getting pitted, so do I really need a stomp pad? I haven't ridden it yet due to the lockdown.
What I do, is leave the pad off, see if you like the board first. Put one on later if you feel you need it. I personally only put them on HP shapes anymore, and will probably stop doing that eventually too. Makes the boards, especially the cool ones, look ugly. Like putting a bumper sticker on a Bentley.

Topazslider

OTF status
Jan 9, 2018
If you want one, go for it

I think they’re a bit misplaced on a midlength where you need to shift up and back on the board

Are you really going to stand in one spot all the way back all the time?
good point, I will prob be riding it from the middle to the back.

Reactions: Billy Ocean

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
dims are 7'5"x22 3/4x2 3/4" with either a quad, thruster, or single fin setup ( I am 6'1" 240 lbs). I asked the shaper to make a middie that rides like a shortboard for the smaller days, cause I realize that I will never shred like Kolohe. I don't plan on throwing airs or getting pitted, so do I really need a stomp pad? I haven't ridden it yet due to the lockdown.
I put one on my VS HPTC twinzer 7'6", a big-ass one, actually. I surf the board mostly harder off of the fins/tail,
but sometimes trim forward. It's not a groovy tail-mid-forward-and-back trim machine line some mid-lengths
and it cost a lot...and I like it a lot...so I wanted to protect the tail a bit so it will last a long time.
I put a DK longboard pad on it and trimmed the back end to fit the rounded pin. I barely notice it
when up and riding, no regrets.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
I’ve been riding a 7’10” 2+1 and 7’2” twin for years. I’ve got 5-10s and 6-6s with stomp pads. The stomp pad on my mid lengths just wouldn’t get used

Reactions: Topazslider

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
No coming from someone who just removed pad from hp twin because I was moving my feet to much and sweet spot is right over fins and pad if placed right would look weird so far forward.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
I considered it for my 7' 6" but haven't, and wont, for many of the reasons other have cited.

About all it would be good for is so you wouldnt have to wax all the way to the end of the tail. Even though you dont stand there, I like some wax all the way back in case you slip it should keep you from sliding all the way off the board.